Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

• 07-04-2009 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Right so after being “asked” ;) by Alany to put this together here goes nothing. It is a work in progress and instead of bashin me because I have more Dublin stuff then anywhere else (although I have included places I have first hand experience of here in derry and in tyrone) instead of moanin that I haven’t included *parish in the back end of nowhere* hit reply and include details that are not here.

So you think you are too old/unfit/not experienced enough to play hurling/camogie/football? Well one word sums that up and that topical word is “balls”. Our beautiful sports are the only I know of which are ALL inclusive regardless of age, race, creed, sexuality, or whether you like cold milk or hot milk with your cornflakes (although if you say hot milk I will kill you) and you will be welcomed into any club, there are various teams and they are always happy for extra bodies whether you want to play and train seriously or just get fit as a hobby

Need further proof there is no “too old”? http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=66085-qqqx=1.asp

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055323469&highlight=togs+out

So with that in mind, if you are seriously considering returning to/starting out this thread might be useful and if there is stuff I have not included (say a certain team/area) well then ask on here and I am sure one of the lads will oblige the best they can. What I have done is collected a load of links for clubs around Ireland, and put them into word documents sorted by county, will try attach the folder and if I cant will just attach each doc separately. If you do not have word or have any problems (open office etc) let me know and will pm you the details.

Instead of posting individual videos from youtube i will just put the link here and you can have a look at how the games are played.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=gaelic+football+skills&aq=2&oq=gaelic+football+

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=hurling+skills&aq=f

I am sure both i and others from the forum will put stuff in but Orizio's post is pretty true, the best starter is to practice yourself and build yourself up both alone and with a team. (Before every match i bring a ball into the showers and try hit a certain spot on the wall with each kick for example) If you want to ask anything about this or anything else fire a reply to this and we will try our best to help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Thought of something else, a few times people have asked about training both personal and team wise, well i will include my own training program which was devised by the sports institute north of Ireland will type out from memory and when i find the actual folder will copy the whole thing out

Right well startin off, i would go on the rowing machines for ten minutes with two minutes or so of stretches, then onto the cross trainer for 5-10 minutes, more stretches, followed by a two minute stretch out and then ten minutes on the bikes. Another two minutes stretchin before hittin the treadmill for five minutes a go (have achilles tendon problems so had to take it easy on it) maybe 4 go's on the treadmill followed by a few minutes of cooldown stretches.

You will get to know what is best for you both training and stretch wise, see here for some good stretches i do them all except with the hip flexor i keep the leg straight and kind of work my way across so if i was starting with my weight on the left leg (which would be the bent one) and the right one straight, i would then slowly shift my weight across and straighten my left leg. Hereis another good stretch guide

Now onto the weights, i do my own sets and it will depend on what your gym has or even if you just have home weights. Now i wont even claim to know all the equipment names i will either name them or try describe them.

Arm curl: 5 X 5 reps building the weight up in increments of 5kg (say do 5 starting off at 10kg, then 5 @ 15kg, then 5 @ 20kg so on so forth) if i start at 10kg i will go up to 35kg then work my way back down to 10kg again

Actually to save me googling every piece of equipment used i will just say i follow the above, building up to a certain point then working my way back down again and building myself up that way

This is fairly similar to alot of what i do though it is on various machines rather then just the one in the picture. A cold shower is always had (some people prefer hot but i think cold is your only man) and go for a walk as an added cool down exercise for the love of God dont just stop and sit on the setee watchin tv you may not be sore then but will feel it in the mornin :)

I feel a bit of a pleb postin here by myself if any of the other lads want to chip in please do :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

In addition to the voutube links provided in the first post, i found these series of clips to help me out when i could barely hold a sliothar on my stick...

http://www.gaa.ie/page/skills_videos.html

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?fundo/fd_skilllist

Sadly thats all i can add to the thread right now, hopefully i'll be able to write up a sort of progress report of how i've improved myself since taking up hurling a few months ago, so total beginners and juniors like myself will understand it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

I went back hurling this year after a 7 year absence - it was tough at the start as i wouldnt be hughely fit and my touch was gone buts its amazing how much you come on in the space of a month or two.

I know a few hurling clubs in the Galway City region who would love new members to train at Junior 'B' or 'C' level, so if anybody wants any info, just let me know

In addition to the voutube links provided in the first post, i found these series of clips to help me out when i could barely hold a sliothar on my stick...

http://www.gaa.ie/page/skills_videos.html

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?fundo/fd_skilllist

Sadly thats all i can add to the thread right now, hopefully i'll be able to write up a sort of progress report of how i've improved myself since taking up hurling a few months ago, so total beginners and juniors like myself will understand it:)

I was gonna say that as well maybe a few "beginners/returners" could keep a log of how they are gettin on etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

List of Hurling Wall and Ball alleys to practice striking in:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055535015

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Ok as i said i would provide, a sort of mini blog of how i started out as a hurler:

Began by reading through lots of threads here on boards, as you do...and went online for further reading about finer rules, equipment prices and location of local clubs to me. Went and bought myself a hurley (a heavy torpey 34" with a good grain) and sliothar to practice with at home, done this for an hour each day, on my own and although i have good hand/eye co-ordination i needed it for finer touches and proper swing speed...power would not be a problem yet.

Next up i made a final decision to choose a local club i'd like to play with here in Dublin (apply this to wherever you live). I went to the clubhouse, spoke with someone who not only put me in contact with a junior hurling coach, but the overall head of junior hurling also incase i couldnt get through to the first number. So spoke with them, they asked general questions about interest level etc and told me to drop into a training session, so i did.

First training session i met up with all the coaches, had a chat and togged out in training gear, as i already had a hurley they loaned me a helm and i took part. Loved it from then on and got myself an application form there and then, filled it out and dropped it into the club. I had worried about where to play, wasnt big enough to play as a back i thought, had lots of speed and was thinking wing forward, yet my coaches, who are usually best at this decision decided i should go corner forward, it suits my style and build and i can move much faster than the bigger full backs anyway:D

Now 2 & a half months later i have been playing with a junior team, with my fitzgerald 35" hurley and having lots of fun even though i managed to bust up a finger on sunday in a challenge match:P Have started every game so far, put my heart and soul into each training session and match we have and have seen major progress in my short and long passing, shooting from 45-65 and solo runs/hand work. I have definately noticed a fitness increase although i was already fit, my forearm and shoulder strength has increased too.

To anyone taking up hurling, definately read up on some rules, what positions may suit you, look at skills clips and some matches on the tv or net to study how the play can change in the blink of an eye. Put dedication into the game as you only get out, what you put in:) Dont be too put off and intimidated by what you first see in training as i know might happen, as it happened me too, but some of these guys have been playing many years and have honed some skills. This is also a game you can play right into your 60's if you are lucky so dont despair, and make sure you have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

a thread made for me. so i am 37 and 38 is only next month, my knees are flucked and my back is wrecked. even as i sit here on yonder couch i can feel the pain in my right knee as a testament to on/off hurling football and indeed rugby for almost god, what, 30 years.

am i finished? hell no!! i am doing junior b hurling again this year i hope, but think i may not make it. i still try it as a full back in rugby (well we are little better than a pub team right now) but the fun i have with my eldest son who is a real talent in the hurling overwhelms all the pain. This lad can blast a sliother almost a length of the full pitch and he (at age 9) has decided he likes the look of a 34 inch hurl.

by the way, the four year old daughter is doing some fair savage ground hurling.

right now i am a fairly ok 13 stone - mullet will remember my sambo mc naughen days lol - but i am to get down to 11 by may is over. i am jogging away, staying away from roads and hard surfaces and keeping to parks and bogs to save the knees and doing some simple curcuits to keep in trim. ok, its only junior b and i make the ball do all the work but you know there are always some butchers dogs out there and you run a bit and lose all your wind. was chatting to some lads on the senior team and god i so glad i dont have to do 50 m sprints and keep an eye on accereration times and off the blocks times any more.

dont forget, plenty of over 40's and similar stuff out there, but they are canny swines and we all know the story about the old dog for the road!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 I.P. Freely

This is greatv 'oul stuff!!

Well seeing as i started this and asked people to contribute i should do so myself.

I have suffered long with my achilles tendon but i am goin back to gym work now. So if this thread receives enough attention sure we can keep it goin :)

Anyway startin off i am goin three days a week for two hours a time, I used to go every day when playin but have had to cut back due to the injury and resulting unfitness. So anyway i just stick to the schedule i have above and i have already dropped the guts of a stone, unfortunately there are plenty yet to get through :o

My goal is to regain fitness and begin playin again in sept (university league) and find some way of dealing with the tendon problems as they (physio and surgical consult) wont do the operation as it "could do more harm then good" so i just seem to have to suck it up and try my best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

hey GAAman,

i sometimes get a swollen achilles, i think its linked to being flat footed. do you find you have to wear a particular type of boot for support?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Good on all who are going back to it. I have planned since last year to get fit again and get back into hurling but age/fitness isnt really my problem, laziness is and i havent made any ground on it. I also have a knee problem that reoccurs when i put alot of exercise into it. That was from Astro football and not letting an injury heal properly (stupid me!). While it can get quite sore, it wouldnt prevent me playing again. Really do have to start training again and getting the fitness levels up a bit as i really miss the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I'm pretty fit but the changing weather is something I need to adapt to.My playing days are taking a backseat to the refereeing again so I need to be very fit to keep up with the play which I am doing.

Just back from refereeing a match in O Tooles and the sweat was bucketing off my face.Third week straight that I have refereed in these excellent but hot conditions.Now is the time for summer conditioning.

No nagging injuries to report here although calf muscles are the most susceptible.

jon1981 wrote: »
    hey GAAman,

i sometimes get a swollen achilles, i think its linked to being flat footed. do you find you have to wear a particular type of boot for support?

Yeah the physio said it might be cos of my very flat feet and gave me these inserts made for me (they took a cast of my feet) to put in my shoes, i havent tried them in my boots yet though, and no i just wear boots that fit and are comfortable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Connery

Hey guys,
    great thread thought i was the only one with the itch to play football. My story is a little different. I never really played under age football for a variety of reasons. But it was always something I craved, so i am seriously thinking about it. I am kinda fit (farming background, good breeding, from kerry all that stuff) so i think i would be well able in that department. What i lack is confidence on the pitch, mainly cause i dont have the basics like passing, soloing up to scratch. Any tips greatly appreciated!!!

Also wondering about where i would be suited to play. THink im too slow for the backs (6ft2 14 stone), not great at fielding so that strikes midfield and my right boot is about as accurate as an Irish economist! so that puts a stop to the fowards. Maybe im being too dismissive, see lack of confidence!

Im only 21 in june so ive time, really love to win something whatever the grade.

Also anyone know of any novice, B/C teams in North Cork/ limerick border?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

Connery wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    great thread thought i was the only one with the itch to play football. My story is a little different. I never really played under age football for a variety of reasons. But it was always something I craved, so i am seriously thinking about it. I am kinda fit (farming background, good breeding, from kerry all that stuff) so i think i would be well able in that department. What i lack is confidence on the pitch, mainly cause i dont have the basics like passing, soloing up to scratch. Any tips greatly appreciated!!!

Also wondering about where i would be suited to play. THink im too slow for the backs (6ft2 14 stone), not great at fielding so that strikes midfield and my right boot is about as accurate as an Irish economist! so that puts a stop to the fowards. Maybe im being too dismissive, see lack of confidence!

Im only 21 in june so ive time, really love to win something whatever the grade.

21 is definitely not too old to become a decent footballer!!
    My advice would be to seek out a club and have a chat with them and come up to a training and see how you get on. Clubs are only delighted to get new blood in the club regardless of how good a player they are.

Theyre not going to expect you to be amazing in the first session so you shouldnt feel under any pressure to perform just enjoy the session and try your best. If you do this I guarentee you, you will see an improvement in your game over time and this will in turn build confidence.

In the meantime just get yourself an o neills football and start practicing kicking the football against a wall (broke many windows as a young fella) and fielding it as much as you can or better still kicking and catching with a friend.

The basics of gaelic football boil down to being able to catch, kick and handpass and the bet way to improve is to practice as much and as often as possible.

I wouldnt be overly worried about finding your position at the moment, (theres plenty of slow backs and inaccurate forwards out there) your club mentors will be able to help you with this choice after seeing you for a few sessions.

Best of Luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 xcrieve

I've seen guys in their 50's play, fair play to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lucky_al

Surely playing at 50 is a heart attack waiting to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 xcrieve

Depends how fast you are moving I suppose. Fair few elderly (:)) Goalkeepers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Zenga

Great to see lads going back to GAA...especially the hurling, by far the best sport in the world in my opinion. Im only a yung fella! just turned 24, but ive missed 2 years out of the last three due to a cruciate ligament injury from soccer...feckin foreign sports!

Anyways I played at quite a high level underage have a few all ireland club & school medals, but the two years out have really affected my chances of ever making senior. Ive made a good comeback enough, played only Junior B last year but we made it to the final losing to a very strong football team, it was their first team against out third so we were always going to be up against it.

Now this year ive made the leap to intermediate, so i guess with a lot of hard work and dedication you can get easily compete at junior / intermediate level even if you think its past you. If you put in the hours to get a reasonable fitness level you will be competitive. The main thing at these levels is to have the hurling brain. Too many people focus on fitness / speed.

If you can read the ball well you will be able to gain a yard or two on the fastest player as you will anticipate it and have possesion of it before they even catch up with you! I done this quite a lot last year against faster lads, just ensured that i was starting running as soon as the opposing teams midfielders / half backs had the ball thrown up...sometimes the ball went to the other corner in which case you might run ten yards for nothing...but it is a great way of starving a fast corner forward of possesion...because god help you if he gets possesion and starts running!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Although im still quite young i have racked up a nice list of injuries but i still keep coming back to the GAA. Sometimes its harder than others due to people in the GAA with the old school mentalities. Whatever people say to you keep going. Dont give in or you will always wonder what if?

Dont let the b******s drag you down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

GAAman wrote: »
    Yeah the physio said it might be cos of my very flat feet and gave me these inserts made for me (they took a cast of my feet) to put in my shoes, i havent tried them in my boots yet though, and no i just wear boots that fit and are comfortable :)

There is growing support for the practice of running without any shoes for to improve arch support. The problem is the musculature of the arch is weak, simply supporting it would only weaken it more. The muscles and joints in the foot need to be strengthened not weakened. An arch is one of the strongest forms in engineering but supporting it from below is the fastest way of weakening it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

In Ulster Diarmaid Marsden started recreational football - basically its two touch football with no contact allowed. This has proved to be highly popular and has brought ex-players, parents who have never played and players from other sports into this game. So players from 19 to 59 are playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

Im female, 24 and just started training with a football team, its great crack! I was looking to get fit, somewhere i could get fit and not pay a fortune and that would have a bit of a social life to it, only been to one training session but sure we will see how it goes! :rolleyes: in the meantime I've been doing 3 sessions a week of 2 and a half miles walk/run and then on the off days about 45minutes of pilates,I know i'm not great and i wont be playing competively for a few years but sure its better than flicking through sky trying to find a re run of simpsons i havent seen in a while :p Just bought football boots as well, are they come so low?come below my ankle but they are kids shoes (not sure how long i will play and i don't want to make investment i might not be following through on)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Connery wrote: »
    if its football, i would recommend Drom-Broadford in west Limerick right on the Cork border. They're not my own club but i've heard from people that they're an excellent club to play with - testified by their Munster club victory last year. I know they've a Junior A side and i'm fairly sure they play in the Junior B grade too. They've some great trainers and its a real friendly club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I've just gone back playing international gaelic football ;) (there's only 1 team in Austria) after a loooooooong layoff from it at the ripe old age of 31. Was fit enough though as I was doing regular sports. Even moved from my old position of Gk to corner back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭liam09

gaa is a dirty thinker sport

liam09 wrote: »

Could not agree with you more my friend, many a time i have come home covered in dirt having had a great training session or match, and i agree even moreso that you have to do alot of thinking whether it be who i am going to feed the ball to, or if i can get the angle for the shot, etc etc :)

Now away with you before you cause yourself any more embarrassment

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

liam09 wrote: »
    Typo or not, you just got banned for a month.

Oh and lads, don't rise to it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Hi,im 17,hoping to play minor hurling.. i was up for joining a hurling club in Dublin, preferably a team that would be more for beginners or that would make beginners feel comfortable at there level of skill.I dont want to join the team which has half them playing county hurling..

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭liam09

hi i am sorry about b4

Advertisement