Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Run Slow Get High

• 20-05-2021 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I've been training for the mountains (or trying to) for the last 18 months or so. First 9 months was a disaster with a haphazard and uneducated approach and a string of injuries. Fortunately I seem to have that largely under control now.

Trained for a half marathon September to December 2020 and ran it in 2:36 right at the end of the year. I should be able to take a significant amount of time off that as I was too conservative with pace, and also set myself an aesthetically pleasing route with a monster hill at the 16km mark which really threw me off.

A series of unfortunate events meant I had to spend almost all of January 2021 in self-isolation. No running but got a lot of strength work in with the kettlebell.

February - May this year I completed a 12 week mountaineering-oriented program. Mixture of low intensity running, high intensity running, strength work for the legs and core, and weighted uphill climbs. I wanted to be ready in case I got some opportunities for some big days this spring. Looks like at least one is on the cards for end of May/Early June so this work should pay off.

I've done all my training using a heart rate monitor with training zones based of percentages of my max hr which I tried to establish myself with a field test. Recently got myself a proper metabolic/lactate test and some shiny new training zones as a result. I had underestimated my max HR by 10bpm so probably running slower than I could have.

I am painfully slow but I'm getting faster. I've gone from about 9 mins/km @ aerobic threshold 18 months ago to up to 6:30 mins/km in recent weeks. My pace seems to vary considerably based on time of day and I can usually go about 30seconds/km faster if I run early in the morning.

Started a new mountain running program last week with a view to completing a 45km(ish) and 3000m(ish) elevation route in early September. The program is customizable to some extent but I've had to scale it down further as the starting mileage is too aggressive for me. I will train by the commandment: "thou shalt not get injured".

Tues 11th
    9.3km @ aerobic threshold; 6:59 mins/km

Thurs 13th
    9.9km @ aerobic threshold; 7:20 mins/km

Sat 15th
    13km @ aerobic threshold; 6:35 mins/km

Sun 16th
    2 sets of 4 x 10 second hill sprints. My first time doing these - felt it more in the lungs than the legs but I understand this is common in the beginning as my brain needs to learn to recruit more fast twitch fibres.

--- 36.5km total for the week, including WU and CU before and after the hill sprints

Monday 17th
    Muscular endurance workout
    2 series x 6 sets x 20 reps split squat jumps, 0% added bodyweight
    2 series x 6 sets x 20 reps box step ups, 0% added bodyweight
    SSJs were absolutely brutal, was unable to go full depth during the second series. DOMS has taken until today to subside. I fared better on the BSUs which I think might be because I have better uphill muscular endurance from the weighted climbs I was doing as part of my previous programme (some of those workouts I walked up and took a gondola down so didn't get the downhill training). Weight vest arrived yesterday and I'll be gradually adding weight over the weeks.

Tuesday 18th
    9km @ aerobic threshold; 7:02 mins/km

Wednesday 19th
    9.3km @ aerobic threshold; 6:42 mins/km

Today
    Supposed to be hill sprints but I've decided to rest instead as I think I'd be pushing my luck with six consecutive days training. I've got an annoying tendon issue in my left ankle that is quiet, not painful and non-intrusive and I want to ensure it doesn't get worse. The plan calls for training 6/7 days but I think I'll probably have to scale that back to 5/7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭longrunn

I can usually go about 30seconds/km faster if I run early in the morning.

Fair play. I'm usually way slower in the morning. Even after a longer stretching and activation session I'm still stiff and limbs are heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Welcome to the logs, be sensible with the training and you’ll be fine. Any questions be plenty to help you around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RunSlowGetHigh

Friday 21st
    Hill sprints
    1 set 4 x 10
    1 set 1 x 10
    Felt something in my glute after set #1, rep #3 and again after rep #4. Took some time to stretch it out but felt it again on set #2, rep #1. Feeling nervous about some sort of catastrophic injury I decided to just leave it there and fight another day. I was a bit surprised as I didn't skimp on the warmup. Plan is to repeat this workout this week with more warmup and additional focus on that glute.

Sunday 23rd
    15.8km @ AeT; 6:29 mins/km
    New marginal PB for pace @ AeT which was nice to see, even if it may not have any real significance. Was supposed to be 14.5km but I must have either gone off route or the website I use to plan my runs is giving dodgy stats.

--- 39.5km and +/-1040m elevation total for the week.
    I get some elevation as most of my runs are on rolling terrain. At some point I need to think about getting more focussed vertical during the week.

Monday 24th
    Muscular endurance workout
    2 series x 8 sets x 20 reps split squat jumps, 0% added bodyweight
    2 series x 8 sets x 20 reps box step ups, 0% added bodyweight
    The adaptation from last week's workout was very pronounced. I made it to set #13, rep #10 of the SJSs before I had to compromise on the squat depth. That's twice as many reps as last week to that point. Legs were again fried afterward but the DOMS hasn't been as bad. The progression looks gruesome with bodyweight alone but I'll try to add 5% next week. I often find with these things that there's a tendency to underestimate your capability. Plus, I bought that weight vest so I'll feel like a real d1ckhead if I don't use it.

Tuesday 25th
    10km @ AeT; 6:27 mins/km
    Another slight improvement on my PB @ AeT.

Wednesday 26th
    9.6km @ AeT; 6:42 mins/km

Fri 28th
    Hill sprints; 2 sets 4 x 10"
    No issues with the glute. Still feeling like I'm not getting anything from these.

Sat 29th
    19km @ AeT; 6:31 mins/km
    Legs started to feel heavy around the 14km mark. Knees also started to not like it too much, especially in cases where I had to slow right down or stop for people/crossing the road etc. Only the second time I've ever run that distance so probably to be expected. Will go for a HM distance next long run in two weeks time and from then on each long run will be a personal max distance.

Was supposed to be 18km but again my route planning went sideways. I'm using onthegomap.com for planning but it's not working out. If anyone is actually reading this I'd be grateful for alternatives. I don't have a fancy watch to keep track of distance and I really hate taking my phone out to check.

--- 44km and +/-1090m elevation total for the week. Recovery week next week and that is most welcome. Very happy with the first three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I've always used onthegomap and never had any issues - always found it to be fairly spot on. I do most of my running on roads though, and I'm not clear if you are running on roads, or trails? Maybe it's not as reliable if you are off the beaten track.

Although, if you're not using a 'fancy watch' to track the distance, could it be that onthegomap is correct and that the issue is with your method of measurement? Depending on the environment, a phone app may not be entirely accurate.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I've always used onthegomap and never had any issues - always found it to be fairly spot on. I do most of my running on roads though, and I'm not clear if you are running on roads, or trails? Maybe it's not as reliable if you are off the beaten track.

Although, if you're not using a 'fancy watch' to track the distance, could it be that onthegomap is correct and that the issue is with your method of measurement? Depending on the environment, a phone app may not be entirely accurate.

Thanks. I'm running on a mixture of roads and trail. Trail portions are in a big urban forest with ups and downs, some reasonably steep, but not mountainous. Polar Beat and Strava both give me erroneous results fairly frequently so it's hard to know if it's the website, my phone, or the apps. I've noticed also that both of them give complete nonsense results in proper mountainous terrain so maybe it's the trees in this forest or something. I have a new Garmin InReach which I've been meaning to fire up so I could try tracking with that and see if it gives better results.

Tuesday June 1st
    5.2km @ AeT; 6:36 /km

Wednesday June 2nd
    5.2km @ AeT; 7:23 /km
    Tired, stressed, baking hot, stitch for the whole run - miserable.

Friday June 4th
    Muscular endurance workout - alternating series
    2 series x 6 sets x 20 reps BSU = 240 reps total, +5% bodyweight
    1 series x 6 sets x 20 reps SJS = 120 reps total, +5% bw for 5 sets, +0% for last set
    1 series x 4 sets x 20 reps SJS = 80 reps total, +0% bw

I fell well short with this one. It was probably not smart to start with a series of BSU but my legs were completely torched after the first series of SJS. Had to ditch the weight vest after I hit failure on series #1, set #5. Legs buckled under me again at the end of series #2, set 4.

Was supposed to do 3 series of each but I was exhausted and in agony and I knew I could get a 1.5 hour nap in if I just accepted defeat and cut it short. Not happy with my mentality on this one but it had been a very tough week with 4-5 hours sleep per night as well as the work stress monsters really on the attack. Nonetheless it's clear now that I can't handle the added weight component of the progression so I'll repeat this next week without adding weight and probably see out the whole progression that way.

Saturday June 5th
    12.2km @ AeT; 6:27 /km

--- 22.6km and +/-526m elevation total for the week.
    Life outside of training was very difficult so this "recovery week" actually kicked the sh1t out of me.

Monday 7th June
    Rest

Tuesday 8th June
    Muscular endurance
    3 x 6 x 20 BSU = 360 reps total
    3 x 6 x 20 SJS = 360 reps total
    Last set of the SJS was pathetic but at least I got there in the end.

Wednesday 9th June
    11.2km @ AeT; 6:44 mins/km

Thursday 10th June
    7.7km @ AeT; 6:47 mins/km

Friday 11th June
    Rest. Would usually be hill sprints but I've decided to stop those in favour of an additional session on the weekend to try to get more vertical in.

Saturday 12th June
    60 min stair repeats; +/-460m elevation.

Sunday 13th June
    22.6km @ AeT; 6:18 mins/km
    New PB for pace at AeT, 5km, 10km, 15km, 20km and took 20 mins off my previous half marathon time! Was and is a soft target so not going to get too excited.

Glutes were in agony around km 16 which I think was down to an 8km stretch of dead flat ground which which I've never experienced before. Usually I'm running up or down. Had to slow to a walk for a short steep section to keep my HR down and just using the muscles differently for a couple of mins breathed new life into them and I finished without any more problems.

Also bought an assortment of gels and chews to start experimenting with. Scoffed two gels on this run without any GI problems which was great.

Overall a very progressive session for me which was nice as there have been a fair few stinkers of late.

--- 46.9km and +/-1606m elevation total for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭longrunn

Wednesday 26th
    9.6km @ AeT; 6:42 mins/km

Fri 28th
    Hill sprints; 2 sets 4 x 10"
    No issues with the glute. Still feeling like I'm not getting anything from these.

Sat 29th
    19km @ AeT; 6:31 mins/km
    Legs started to feel heavy around the 14km mark. Knees also started to not like it too much, especially in cases where I had to slow right down or stop for people/crossing the road etc. Only the second time I've ever run that distance so probably to be expected. Will go for a HM distance next long run in two weeks time and from then on each long run will be a personal max distance.

Was supposed to be 18km but again my route planning went sideways. I'm using onthegomap.com for planning but it's not working out. If anyone is actually reading this I'd be grateful for alternatives. I don't have a fancy watch to keep track of distance and I really hate taking my phone out to check.

--- 44km and +/-1090m elevation total for the week. Recovery week next week and that is most welcome. Very happy with the first three weeks.

onthegomap is based on OpenStreetMap which is kind of like a Wikipedia of maps because anybody can add to it or edit it. If you find issues you can sign up for an OpenStreetMap account and make corrections. I think you can even upload your GPX files that are generated by Garmin, Strava, etc, and it will use those to add to the map.

I love onthegomap and it is my go-to tool for route planning. The biggest issue I have with it is that it plots routes through roads that are marked as access=private which is a pain because a lot of private roads in Ireland belong to farms and you can't just run through someone's farmyard...

Monday 14th June
    Rest

Tuesday 15th June
    Muscular endurance
    3 x 8 x 20 BSU = 480 reps total
    3 x 8 x 20 SJS = 480 reps total

Wednesday 16th June
    8km @ AeT; 6:33 mins/km

Thursday 17th June
    8km @ AeT; 6:41 mins/km

Friday 18th June
    Rest

Saturday 19th June
    Rest. Should really have been 60 min stair repeats but I simply couldn't carve out the time with family and friend commitments. I had a big session planned for Sunday so justified it to myself that I was absorbing this one in there.

Sunday 20th June
    8km, +/- 300m trail run.
    Got a half day pass to the mountains for father's day so planned a 25km +/-900m trail run. Unfortunately there were a number of unforeseen complications and a lot of traffic so by the time I arrived at the trailhead I was tired and agitated. Anyway, about 90 seconds into the run I rolled my ankle badly.

Being generally pissed off about how the day had gone so far, I was not about to let a precious day in the mountains go begging so I walked it off for a few mins and since it felt fine I kept going for another SEVENTY MINUTES, before stopping for a whiz. When I started trying to get going again the ankle began to complain. It got worse quite rapidly so I went from "maybe I'd better keep this to 20km" to "maybe I'd better turn around now" to "well now I can't run on this thing so I'm not even getting any training" to "good thing I can bail out of the trail here and get a taxi back to the car".

Looks like I have a fairly bad sprain. Going to the physio tomorrow morning to get an assessment but I'd say I'll be doing well to be back in two weeks. Very frustrating given my proclamation that I would avoid injury at all costs. Should have had the discipline to call it at the start. I'll try to focus on mobility and core strength while I rehab this thing.

• Advertisement

Monday 21st - Sunday 27th
    Feeling sorry for myself and being lazy.

Went to the physio twice. He reckons it's a grade 1-2 tear. I've started doing various strengthening and proprioception exercises. Going back on July 9th to see about starting running again.

I live in the Pacific Northwest so absolutely melting in this heatwave and the air quality is also really, really bad. It probably would have been really hard to train anyway!

5th - 11th July

Monday, 9km cycle

Tuesday, 17km cycle

Wednesday, 2x8km cycle

12th - 18th July

Wednesday, 1.7km jogging intervals

Thursday, 3.1km continuous light run

19th - 25th July

Monday, 5.3km @ AeT; 7:03/km

Tuesday, 5.2km @ AeT; 6:39/km

Wednesday, 3.7km @ AeT; 6:35/km

Friday, 7.9km @ AeT; 6:17/km

Saturday, 5km hike, +/-250m elevation w/ ~27% bodyweight (my son in a carrier)

Sunday, 2 x 10km cycle towing the young lad in a trailer

Short hike was a good test for the ankle with the additional weight on my back. Lots of ups and downs, roots, loose ankle-breaking rocks etc. Had a heavy duty brace on and unfortunately could tell that the ankle is not ready for the mountains yet as it can't deal with any heavy eccentric loading. That unfortunately means my main objective is likely off the cards as by the time I'm ready for it there will probably be snow in the alpine with melt-freeze cycles which will make for treacherous ice-covered boulder fields.

No issues with road-running so will continue to ramp that back up this week.

Advertisement