Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

There was an article about Collins in the Examiner last Saturday, few of the coaches that worked under him were interviewed. He really looks after his players and they will do anything for him in return. He knows everyone at every age group that is kicking a ball in the county and players in other counties that have Clare connections. He is just Clare football to the core. A person like him comes around once in a lifetime, but for him we would be still knocking around division 4 playing the likes of London. I hope he sticks around for a few years yet, I would be fearful for what would happen when he goes.
    As for Kerry I think it would be a massive achievement to keep within 10 points of them, much as it pains me to say it. They are an awesome outfit and unlike Mayo when they are ten points ahead of you they will totally destroy you. They beat Tyrone by 16 the last day out.
    We are talking about going down playing a county that is totally obsessed with the game and has the pick of the full county, where as more than half of our playing population would be hurlers. Alot of the divisional teams in Kerry would have more options player wise than us. If we were playing one of those divisional teams it would be a 50/50 game.
    Kerry are ahead of everyone else in the chase of Dublin and they will meet in the All Ireland final.
    It will be interesting to see how we go about competing against them, but with no backdoor the leauge is where its at for Clare.

Collins certainly has that special something about him. Can you imagine trying to get buy in from players and get them revved up for that second half against Mayo. Its unfortunate that yere on the same side of the draw as us (kerry) as I think this partially kerry team is only getting better and are turning into a serious animal. I would have loved to see a clare cork semi. Thats well winnable for clare. If Collins can add to his squad here and there and the clare strength and conditioning continues to improve! I think very shortly they'll be capable of taking a big scalp. The question will be can they push on from there. They seem to be shaper and smarter and learn abit every time out. Let's see what they can do tomorrow week, best of luck.

At my first Gaa match for nearly 17 months for the Eire Og v Kilmurry Ibrickane Cusack cup game at Eire Og pitch this evening. A beautiful night for the game too. Great to be back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

https://twitter.com/ClubClareHS/status/1407451241593049092

A blow to Clare this weekend, he was going well at left half forward in the Laois and Dublin game. I assume Davy Mc is one of those players that will be assessed later.

I'd be surprise now if our 8-12 is anything other than Galvin, Kelly, Malone, Reidy and McCarthy. Then Shanagher, with 2 of Rodgers, Taylor, I. Galvin inside. I'd choose Rodgers and Taylor. I think we will need Taylor's workrate early against Waterford, then you can bring in Ian Galvin who is a good sub, he has shown that for Clare in recent years, especially in 2018.

At the back, Flanagan to replace Aaron Fitz and probably David Fitz to replace David McInerney if they are out. Although I'd really prefer to be able to use David Fitz as an impact sub.

That's the way I'd say it's looking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Football on Sky Sports Saturday evening. Hurling on RTE on Sunday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So Wednesday before the first Championship weekend. Looking at the footballers first, I think it's fair to say that if we were facing any other team in Munster that we'd be expecting to win but in reality Kerry are looking at the All Ireland and they were caught last year focusing on future games so I don't think that'll happen again. For 3 quarters of the game against Mayo we showed that we're more than a match for the top counties, unfortunately we seem to drop concentration for a quarter which can result in 2 or 3 quick goals against us, Clifford will destroy us if we turn off even for a minute.

For Clare to win we'll need our top performance from all 20 people involved, we'll need to take all our chances and we'll have to stay focused for the duration of the game, on the flip side we'll need Kerry to be lacking in a few of these areas. I said a couple of weeks ago that I thought there was a win over Mayo or Kerry in this team, I still think this but we'll need everything to fall into place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Looking at the hurlers, we still have the same problem from 5 to 12, we finished strongly in the league but we're still lacking ball winners in the middle third of the pitch, we struggle to win our own puck outs and we struggle even worse when defending. Last year Waterford beat us by 9 points but we were competitive up until the last 10 minutes or so and that was with Tony Kelly on 1 leg, this is Lohan's second year in charge and the second year is normally when a manager has their best performance (Davy won the All Ireland, Gerry/Donal got to an AI Semi Replay) so I expect a lot this year.

If you asked me 2 weeks ago how I thought Clare would go I'd have said we'd struggle to keep within 10 points, as we get closer to the game I think there won't be more than a score in it either way, I think for us to win we're going to have to score goals, we don't have a team to go toe to toe and take points from distance, we need to work the ball into our inside forward line and for them to take their chances, on the flip side we can't concede too many either.

Clareman wrote: »
    Looking at the hurlers, we still have the same problem from 5 to 12, we finished strongly in the league but we're still lacking ball winners in the middle third of the pitch, we struggle to win our own puck outs and we struggle even worse when defending. Last year Waterford beat us by 9 points but we were competitive up until the last 10 minutes or so and that was with Tony Kelly on 1 leg, this is Lohan's second year in charge and the second year is normally when a manager has their best performance (Davy won the All Ireland, Gerry/Donal got to an AI Semi Replay) so I expect a lot this year.

If you asked me 2 weeks ago how I thought Clare would go I'd have said we'd struggle to keep within 10 points, as we get closer to the game I think there won't be more than a score in it either way, I think for us to win we're going to have to score goals, we don't have a team to go toe to toe and take points from distance, we need to work the ball into our inside forward line and for them to take their chances, on the flip side we can't concede too many either.

Those would be the worries I have too. Actually Daly was mentioning the same point on his Irish Examiner podcast that Clare will probably need to come out +2 over Waterford with regards to goals. For the games I've seen of Waterford this year and last, they flow better than us in attack. They have been playing at a higher level than us these past 18 months.

The half forward line is still an ever present issue. Cody tactically blundered against us a fortnight ago not pushing up on our puckouts in the first half and we got well on top for the first 30 minutes. However, when Kilkenny pushed up and Quilligan had to go for longer puckouts, Kilkenny got well on top for long stretches of the game. It was a little encouraging though that we were able to wrestle back the game with the McMahon, Taylor, Golden subs. I'm expecting Taylor to start this Sunday, and I'm also expecting to see McMahon early in the 2nd half. Waterford will likely have Lyons and Gleeson as their wing backs, so having a big physical presence at wing forward might be the best course of action.

The two biggest differences for us this year is a fit Tony Kelly and a much improved half back line. If we could get Ryan, Conlon and McInerney playing together on the 40 this weekend, that could give us a good platform to launch our attacks. But I'd still have Waterford favourites unfortunately, but in a closer game.

I think as a unit our forwards against Kilkenny was the best performance under Lohan, I know there's a lot of reasons for this and we shouldn't ignore the fact that it was a far more important game for us than it was for Kilkenny and they are 3 weeks out from championship while we are 2, this time of year that's a huge difference. But looking at our make up, there's a great balance to that forwards unit and they all work well together.

I still have a worry about our squad, our use of subs has been a worry for me for some time, looking at this years league
    Antrim - 4 subs, 2 a half time and 2 at 50 minutes
    Wexford - 4 subs, 1 at 29 minutes (injury), 2 at 63 and 1 at 69
    Laois - 6 subs, 1 at half time, 1 at 45, 1 at 56, 2 at 63 and 2 at 68
    Dublin - 4 subs, 1 at 47, 1 at 53, 1 at 62 and 1 at 67
    Kilkenny - 6 subs, 1 at 5, 1 at 30 (both injuries), 1 at 49, 1 at 50 and 2 at 63

I know you have to allow for injuries but in my opinion any sub after 60 minutes is almost a waste as it'll take them a few minutes to get up to speed with the game, I think we should be springing fresh legs at the last water break to keep up the temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Dean Ryan and Cormac Murray have left the footballers. Would have liked to have seen Ryan get more game time in the past few years but the article mentions he's based in Dublin now. Link.

Always disappointing to see people leave the panel this close to the main event, you'd imagine all the hard work is done at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Don't want to be bringing up the topic again but after the bull**** following the Clare Wexford covid episode interesting that the highest most monetary level of professional sport was effected with England Scotland game with Billy Gilmour, Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell, I just think there's vagueness and grey areas around the topic that will defy logic unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Don't want to be bringing up the topic again but after the bull**** following the Clare Wexford covid episode interesting that the highest most monetary level of professional sport was effected with England Scotland game with Billy Gilmour, Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell, I just think there's vagueness and grey areas around the topic that will defy logic unfortunately.

those three apparently had a 20 minutes chat in the tunnel, after hugging and chatting on the pitch at the end of the game. That's the explanation that was given so i don't think its the same at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

those three apparently had a 20 minutes chat in the tunnel, after hugging and chatting on the pitch at the end of the game. That's the explanation that was given so i don't think its the same at all.
    but no Scotland players been deemed close contacts is a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Very bad timing. Have they any respect for the squad and preparations at all. They could have left weeks ago ,but doing it in the week of the match is nothing but ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Must be be the hurleys that caused it in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Not really, if they obey all the protocols then they wouldn't be close contacts. That's what the protocols are for. The two English players deemed close contacts didn't followed the agreed protocols.

The soccer players are in bubbles as well so they don't have as many close contacts, Roy Keane summed it up well :D
    https://punditarena.com/football/darraghmurphy/roy-keane-billy-gilmour-covid/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Gael85

Very bad timing. Have they any respect for the squad and preparations at all. They could have left weeks ago ,but doing it in the week of the match is nothing but ego.

Ryan and Murray left panel weeks ago. Neither were involved for Mayo game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

You are making a lot of assumptions there or have you an insight into their personal situations and their reasons for leaving the squad??

It must be very hard for players to put in all that effort in pre-season and league campaigns only to realise that they aren't going to get any game time from now on, chances are there aren't even matches in training any more for them to stake a claim, at the rate of matches are coming it's all about recovery now. The commitment these players give is unbelievable, even at club level, it's not just a case of a couple of sessions a week and a match at the weekend, chances are there's be 2 or 3 gym sessions, a stretching programme, a diet programme, 2 training sessions and maybe a match, that doesn't count additional stuff like stats or video reviews.

Fair play to them for making the commitment, I know I wouldn't be able to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

On this weeks Podcast

We discuss the ongoing Browne/Ryan saga.

We speak to Clare's Colin Ryan ahead of Clare v Waterford

And we have a stab at picking Tipperarys starting 15 v the winners of that game.

Click on the website and hit whatever format you want to listen in on.

https://thepremierviewpodcast.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Both left weeks ago, and it was know within football circles, Dean is based in Dublin, both players have commitments outside football that need to be taken into consideration..

So maybe try not to nail them to the cross for the sake of your own ego without actually being informed

On wait this is boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭KIB4Life

Both left weeks ago, and it was know within football circles, Dean is based in Dublin, both players have commitments outside football that need to be taken into consideration..

So maybe try not to nail them to the cross for the sake of your own ego without actually being informed

On wait this is boards...

Ya tis easy talk but there is serious commitment involved in playing for the county nowadays, especially for those working in other counties and travelling down for training and also maybe players that don’t have as flexible a jobs as often the inter county lifestyle suits perfectly teachers and students. Like maybe the training load have at times gone over the top, I know a lot of players will say they enjoy the lifestyle which I’m sure is true, but they are training like professional teams, when they can’t get the recovery that professional teams can or don’t have the down time that professional sports teams have.

Probably from both Dean and Cormac’s point of view they were not getting much game and probably might not have been enjoying their football that much so they probably made the decision that was right for them. Dean Ryan I felt probably should have got a bit more game time in the last year or so and even when he got game time against Cork he was then whipped off at half time, which probably was the last straw for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭KIB4Life

1. Stephen Ryan Stiofain O Riain Kilrush Shamrocks

2. Ciaran Russell. C. O Ruiseil Eire-og, Inis

3. Cillian Brennan Cillain O Braonain Clondegad

4. Eoghan Collins E. O Coilean Ballyhaunis

5. Cian O Dea C. O De Kilfenora

6. Sean Collins S. O Coilean Cratloe

7. Daniel Walsh D. Breathnach, Kilmurry Ibrickane

8. Darren O Neill D. O Neill Eire-Og, Inis

9. Cathal O Connor C. O Conchuir Coolmeen

10. Pearse Lillis P. O Laighleis Cooraclare

11. Eoin Cleary E. O Cleirigh St Josephs Miltown Malbay (Capt)

12. Darragh Bohannan D O Buachain Shannon Gaels

13. Gavin Cooney G O Cuana Eire-Og, Inis

14. Joe McGann S McCanna St Breckans,

15. David Tubridy D Tiobraide, Doonbeg

16. Tom O Brien St Josephs Doora Barefield

17. Padraic Collins Cratloe
    18. Ciaran Downes Kilmihil

19. Aaron Griffin Lissycasey

20. Conal O hAinifein Ruan

21. Conor Jordan, Austin Stacks

22. Kevin Harnett Cratloe

23. Emmet McMahon Kildysart

24. Cillian Rouine Ennistymon
    25. Keelan Sexton Kilmurry Ibrickane
    26. Alan Sweeney St Breckans

Clare Football 26 Man Panel for Tomorrow evenings game against Kerry. No Jamie Malone once again unfortunately but at least Kevin Hartnett is back from injury and could play some part. There probably will be changes to the starting 15 before the throw in potentially the likes of Emmet McMahon could come into the team.

Prunty and Barron are out for Waterford this weekend. Be interesting hopefully to get Clare’s team sheet tonight.

Hurling draw
    1 - Mills, InaMona, Whitegate, Kilmaley, Clonlara
    2 - Bridge, Clarecastle, Tones, Scariff
    3 - Ballyea, Broadford, Crusheen, Cratloe
    4 - Eire Og, Newmarket, Clooney, Feakle

Football
    1 - Kilmurry, Cratloe, Ennistymon, Cooraclare, Miltown
    2 - Breckans, Barefields, Kilrush, Kilmihil
    3 - Lissycasey, Eire Og, Doonbeg, Clondegad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Those group 1 draws is both codes are very very tasty. The football one especially is madness!!.

Nice handy draw for the bridge in hurling.

The Bridge got a decent draw alright, hard to see anyone doing well in either group 1, that extra game will be torture for anyone who gets out of the group, every other group will have a month from the last round of the group stage to the quarter final
    https://mobile.twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1396895604765306886/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Gael85

Those group 1 draws is both codes are very very tasty. The football one especially is madness!!.

Nice handy draw for the bridge in hurling.

Agree group1 in football is group of death . Was draw seeded?

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    Agree group1 in football is group of death . Was draw seeded?

Yeah, last years semi finalists were kept apart.

Advertisement