Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone know if four thirds lenses have any value these days? i have a decent one (am giving the camera to a friend's kid, cos it's old) but there may be some residual value in this lens and i wouldn't mind making a little bit of cash from it.
    the manufacturers seem to have all moved to micro four thirds (which i think is the mirrorless version) and it seems lenses may not be directly compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Had anyone any suggestions for locations suitable for steel wool around west Dublin ? Derelict/abandoned or otherwise ? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Night owl gal

Hi all :)

So in the last few months, I have been doing a clear-out at home. During the clear-out, I found a book, which is the photography yearbook from 2009. I put it up on Facebook marketplace/eBay/adverts/done deal, with little interest. Just wondering if anyone here would like it?

I'm offering it for €5 but it is negotiable as I'm conscious not everyone can afford this, in today's hard times. I can post it for €9 (tracked) or meet the buyer if within 5km

I'm guessing this is a no? Didn't hear anything from anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi all,

I could be wrong but used there be a 'for sale & wanted' section? If not, is there any thread that people can post up what they have for sale (or mention item and link to external site?)

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

There's an Astrophotography competition being run by Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies that just opened for public voting. I have a few shortlisted images in it myself but there is much better shots in there compared to my own so I have little hope for winning: €500 voucher 1 year sub to a newspaper and a personalised tour of Dunsink Observatory

If you want to have a look at the images and vote for your favourite you can to so here:
    https://www.dias.ie/astrophotography-competition-public-vote/

Only 1 vote per person and subject to email verification.

Winner and runners up of that DIAS competition:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/reach-for-the-stars-the-best-of-irish-astrophotography-1.4575756?fbclid=IwAR1DoBo6BX8GJK2G0zNMDpQv_dfQg62qfUe7pewR-I7eb38CWvMAuP7E2-0#.YLL5aJIOq8Q.facebook

Public choice winner:
    Neowise-Ardmore-scaled.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what technique did this guy use?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2000-volkswagen-lupo-nctd-amp-taxed/28313152

he has foreground/the car so in focus and the background so distant/faded ...i like it

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭barryribs

fryup wrote: »
    what technique did this guy use?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2000-volkswagen-lupo-nctd-amp-taxed/28313152

he has foreground/the car so in focus and the background so distant/faded ...i like it

It looks like its just processed by the camera software on the phone. If you look at the space in the headrests in the second image the focus is all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Agreed. It's an in-phone blur effect ... and really very amateurish! :cool:

Looks like a model car :pac:

Did anyone take any pictures of the eclipse last week? I didn't have any filter so had to rely on clouds to get the white balance right. Any tips for this in future or is it just a case of getting a dark filter onto the lense?

EocKrBm.jpg

• Advertisement

barryribs wrote: »
    Did anyone take any pictures of the eclipse last week? I didn't have any filter so had to rely on clouds to get the white balance right. Any tips for this in future or is it just a case of getting a dark filter onto the lense?

Baader solar filter sheet (mylar) is about ND 5.0, costs roughly €20 depending on size. Place it onto a cardboard cut-out with a good sized hole in the centre (at least half radius of lens or can go full size of lens) stick the filter sheet to the cardboard with some sort of slow setting glue, such as contact adhesive or you can use a strong bounding double sided tape. Place another cut-out with flaps for an elastic band on top with more glue and cut around the sheet. Or you can buy a solar filter that fits over a lens but it is more expensive. The baader sheet should be replaced every few years and if it gets damaged at all toss it.

The baader stuff will show as white, the Sun is white anyway in our visual spectrum, but you can colourise it in photoshop etc. There is also black polymer (thousand oaks) which will colourise to orange. The mylar can be sharper.

Not only good for eclipses but for when there is sunspots on the sun which is fairly regularly. To really get detail you'd want a solar Hydrogen Alpha filter (not to be confused with a normal Ha filter) solar Ha filters are extremely expensive.

Thanks very much for the great advice. I'd never considered photographing sunspots. I've ordered the mylar, with it cut I should get two filters out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry if this is out of place, but have you seen this https://www.worldlandscapephotographer.com/ the winning photograph is from Ireland, there are some amazing images among the rest.

looksee wrote: »
    Sorry if this is out of place, but have you seen this https://www.worldlandscapephotographer.com/ the winning photograph is from Ireland, there are some amazing images among the rest.

Yes, absolutely amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

v2?sig=3e4cf333adbd1bb8e20efd6f2b5cd4c0a565e0547337a8b6851e9686567eae3d

Managed to get a shot, using Nikon D810, Nikon 200-500mm at 480mm. f/22, ISO 64, 1/10", on a tripod with a Lee "Big Stopper" handheld in front of lens (camera on tripod). Used "live view" so I could see result on on back panel without looking through view finder (had cover over viewfinder). Learnt a lot and maybe get a better shot next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I tried taking a pic tonight, beautiful moon out there. I will try again using your settings. I'd like to know your setting for white balance, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Hi Lime Tree Farm. This is not really a shot of the moon. It is a shot of a solar eclipse - the sun, covered partially by the moon, in daylight. This is a shot of the moon https://500px.com/photo/1031435569/supermoon-by-adrian-sadlier. I always use auto white balance and shoot in RAW. That way, I can correct it later if I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Thanks for the reply. I needed to dial down the exposure compensation to minus 3.5 to get rid of the flashing highlights.

None of mine compare to Adrian's above but I've found if you shoot it under exposed and adjust the levels in editing software it doesn't blow out the detail as much. - Having said that I'm a complete amateur and learning by trial and error.

This is one of the images I'd use

And just by adjusting the colour curves, it becomes something this;

Note: They aren't the same image

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

When did compact flash become a collector's item? I have misplaced a couple of cards for my D300 and it seems replacing them is not as easy as I'd expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I dont know. But I use m4/3 and recently bought a 4/3 adaptor that does auto focus. Works a treat on my old 4/3 40-150mm. What lens do you have? Im on the look out for a few types. Feel free to pop me an IM

It's a sigma 30mm F1.4 - so a good fast standard prime for four thirds.

That would be most useful.I have a m4/3 Sigma 30mm 2.8 which I find great. What kinda price were you thinking?

Am abroad at the moment. Last time I looked the lens was as new, but I'll wait till I get home and give it a quick look just to make sure it's still as I remembered.

Well gimme a shout when you have a price in mind, cheers.

Cheers, will PM you then!

Why do many online printing sites/stores not print 9" by 6" but do 8" by 6" instead?

9 by 6 is the same ratio as the standard 6" by 4"

Post edited by dinneenp on

• Advertisement

this is an interesting listen - how kodak's printing machines were inadvertently racist in a sense; and a nice coda about a weirdly related story about the invention of the jpg.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/shirley-cards/

Advertisement