Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

blade1 wrote: »
    Handy. You can pm him your sort code for the refund :D

Cash only :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Interesting to see Blade1 take on exhausts. I have a Z7 with a nice clean system but its 100% welded by one of the previous owners, no way at all of taking it off without bolting it out from the engine itself. No joints at all anywhere! Makes changing the oil filter [paper one] a big old hassle as the spin cap is partly covered by the exhaust.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Fitted a Decat to the GSXR - Some bark off it now
    ZwnKVZi.jpg
    JMCB5WF.jpg
    zSAbKyv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You forget to attach the retention spring :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

listermint wrote: »
    You forget to attach the retention spring :P

Well he forgot to bolt it on too in that case LOL

• Advertisement

One less headache

771-E3385-C2-C3-44-AE-B0-C6-22-D46-E379814.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

incredibly boring in comparison to some of you lads, but took the ram mount off and replaced it with a quadlock... Will see how it behaves later on today

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Replaced the badly bodged silencer on the DT250.
    Gave it a good wire wheeling before several coats of Matt black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

incredibly boring in comparison to some of you lads, but took the ram mount off and replaced it with a quadlock... Will see how it behaves later on today
    Neither systems are cheap, but I think I'd go for the quadlock over the ram, the ram mount relies on elastics to keep the phone in place which will just deteriorate exposed to the elements. Is that the reason you changed? How do you find it?

Neither systems are cheap, but I think I'd go for the quadlock over the ram, the ram mount relies on elastics to keep the phone in place which will just deteriorate exposed to the elements. Is that the reason you changed? How do you find it?

It was more the vibration. I’ve already had to send one phone in for a repair because the camera died due to vibration.

Didn’t get a chance to go out this evening, KH7 is acting up and has decided he wants his daddy all night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

It was more the vibration. I’ve already had to send one phone in for a repair because the camera died due to vibration.

Didn’t get a chance to go out this evening, KH7 is acting up and has decided he wants his daddy all night

Have the quadlock system on my 990adv.. best of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

hedzball wrote: »
    Have the quadlock system on my 990adv.. best of the lot

What phone are you using ? I’ve read several reports of vibration damaging iPhone cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What phone are you using ? I’ve read several reports of vibration damaging iPhone cameras.

Ah yeah but only **** and bollixes buy iPhones

What if someone else buys it for you? Does that make me fit in with the bad people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

True but I get them for free, so no worries either way.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    If the shoe fits :pac:

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

TZZzMLz.jpg
    Fitted this little beaut
    hdbLNwS.jpg

Some incoming photos of my 1000F

EA3-FC1-A8-48-C5-4738-8-ACF-DF7782-B269-A7.jpg

D2735-FF9-8550-4-AF8-8-C41-67-EAE68-A4-A27.jpg

2760-AB5-B-BE0-D-44-C2-B6-AC-3-C31-F005-CCB2.jpg

406278-E3-F7-F8-4320-8558-4-B7-B99483048.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Lovely can scrappy. Hows she going with it, loud?
    What yr is the bike, didnt know the newer tackle 600's were 36cc up!

Q man yer like a fella who takes in stray cats with worms lol. You do like a challenge. Carefull you dont spend more doing up a cbr thou than a cbr thou is worth.
    Unfortunately I've never managed to listen to my own advice on that:(
    Re your suspension, strip and grease it yourself, tis nuts and bolts!

Gave the big is twice yearly bath. I used to be always cleaning bikes, these days i leave the acf do its job and it does work.
    dav.jpg

dav.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

That DR makes me feel all funny in all the right kind of ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

H_Lime wrote: »
    Lovely can scrappy. Hows she going with it, loud?
    What yr is the bike, didnt know the newer tackle 600's were 36cc up!
    She's a 2015, the AMA homologated the 636cc engine in 2013 for supersport racing so I think they stopped making the rr version after that which was the 599cc you needed for racing....
    Entire 600cc supersport class is all but gone on the road nowadays though and I don't like the way it's heading with the aprilia 660 Yamaha R7 and the ducati supersport so will probably go for a thou next.. or even a v4 naked could be considered!
    Can is not loud at all once I refitted the pre muffler it's much nicer sounding. The sc system that was on it was just to much, way too in your face and loud and looking for attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I stripped out the linkages to give the roller bearings a dollop of the old unpronounceable grease. Awkward enough because once you remove any suspension bolt the paddock stand is useless, so it was a trolley jack under the engine and the missus holding the handle bars. And to top it off I noticed my tax disc is gone. Nice.
    20210617-160358.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I stripped out the linkages to give the roller bearings a dollop of the old unpronounceable grease. Awkward enough because once you remove any suspension bolt the paddock stand is useless, so it was a trolley jack under the engine and the missus holding the handle bars. And to top it off I noticed my tax disc is gone. Nice.
    20210617-160358.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Brake light staying on constant on the ‘wing. Took over an hour of disassembly just to get at the suspect foot brake switch plug just to discover its working fine :rolleyes:
    88C2E066-8E90-42AE-AFA3-5E10EF076FFD.jpeg
    556811.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Stuck on a pair of grip puppies on my Tiger 800. Had them on the FZ1 and they made a huge difference. For €15 can't go wrong. Lads talking about spending on cushioned seats for longer spins, these are an ideal addition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grip-Puppy-Comfort-grips-Models/dp/B005DJSQ0Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=grip+puppies&qid=1624724135&sprefix=grip+p&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Put some Motul 660 brake fluid in the Zsx today, in anticipation of a track day.

Brake pads are low, but I reckon I'll get the day out of them and then change them.

Tyres are good, so hopefully a fun day will be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If the pads are low I'd change before, low pads won't dissipate heat as well as they should and you'll end up with crap braking that'll ruin your day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

If the pads are low I'd change before, low pads won't dissipate heat as well as they should and you'll end up with crap braking that'll ruin your day

Yeah, good point.

Just had a look again and they are a bit too low.

To the Interwebs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

looks like I am going to need another new back tyre. even though I can hardly be called a hot spinning wheels type of guy.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

Its not very exciting but I made this dust cover for the headstock bearings for my Honda CB550 project. Thought I would share some pics.

Its just made from some 1mm thick mild steel, I will get it nickel plated along with some other parts at the end of the project.

I turned a form on the lathe to beat over. The material is acetal plastic.

The big disc is the blank I will form. The dark disc is a 3mm thick piece of steel that clamps the part against the form. The clamping piece has a smaller diameter than the form. This allows the material to bunch up around this and form a step.

Its then just beaten over the form with a regular claw hammer

It started off with a lot of very large pleats that need to be slowly hammered to get the material to shrink around the radius.

After a while it starts to take the form. You can see where the material has bunched up and formed the step around the black clamping piece.

Its then sanded on the lathe to get all the hammer marks out.

I trimmed the edge and the middle hole on the lathe

Advertisement