Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claiming through UK policy holder insurance

Options
  • 14-06-2021 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I was in northern Ireland at the weekend and someone reversed into my car. It was her fault and she took the blame and i got her details etc. i tried to call her insurance company (Admiral) today but i cannot get through. i tried several different phone numbers but they all get cut off when about to be transferred to an agent. how do i make contact with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Email, Facebook or Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Why don't you just call your insurance company and let them do their job?

Give them all the details and that's it (well in theory).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fjones21

I tried that and they said that i would have to make the claim through the 3rd party insurer. it might affect my policy to go through my own company. i expected them to be able to sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fjones21

yes i have wrote to them on facebook and twitter. facebook have replied to me. hopefully get some sort of traction now.

i think i was panicking that id never get through to them so apologies for the premature post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

wonski wrote: »
    Why don't you just call your insurance company and let them do their job?

Give them all the details and that's it (well in theory).
    If he's TP F&T his insurer cannot do anything. If he's Fully Comp he will have to claim from his own insurer 1st, and then let them try and recoup the money. If they don't succeed with that he then loses his no claims, and has a made a claim on his own insurance which must be disclosed to any future insurers.
    His best bet if he cannot contact the other party's insurer is to get a Solicitor involved (assuming the repair cost warrants that).

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    If he's TP F&T his insurer cannot do anything. If he's Fully Comp he will have to claim from his own insurer 1st, and then let them try and recoup the money. If they don't succeed with that he then loses his no claims, and has a made a claim on his own insurance which must be disclosed to any future insurers.
    His best bet if he cannot contact the other party's insurer is to get a Solicitor involved (assuming the repair cost warrants that).

So if I hit someone it is the other party that has to chase my insurer.

And if someone hits me it is me who has to chase the other party insurer.

Basically it is the customer who has to chase them all the time?

What do you mean if they don't succeed?
    Sure they should succeed, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

wonski wrote: »
    So if I hit someone it is the other party that has to chase my insurer.

And if someone hits me it is me who has to chase the other party insurer.

Basically it is the customer who has to chase them all the time?

What do you mean if they don't succeed?
    Sure they should succeed, no?

If you hit somebody, yes, they have to chase you unless they want to avail of the cover under their own policy, which gives that insurer the right to recover their outlay against you/your insurer

If somebody hits you, you can avail of the practice outlined above. It's called subrogation and it will be explained in your policy document. Unless your insurer has paid for the damage the other driver caused you, they have no more right to act against that driver on your behalf than your next door neighbour

And yes, if your insurer doesn't recover their outlay, it stays as your claim. The other driver may well be at fault, but if they don't accept liability and there are no witnesses, dashcams or physical evidence, they may not pursue it. They will not spend 10k to try and recover 5k without a reasonable chance of success

But the op has the other party details and the other party admitted liability. Why would the insurance company not get a payment from the other driver who admitted liability?

Sure they can change their mind, but you make it look like insurance is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

In general terms, admitting liability at the scene is of little value, the parties are deemed to be in shock. One driver may feel he was at fault but there could be other evidence or witnesses which might suggest otherwise.

In practice, Insurers will successfully recover from the 3rd party insurer if it has the proofs to support their argument and it's made easier if the other driver doesn't act the maggot (unfortunately, they sometimes do)

Advertisement