Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Honda CM250T ‘Restoration’ project

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

So I’ve been pottering away and making progress if a little slow. The rear wheel is buggered. I left it with a machine shop who had several ideas and even got advice on it but the bottom line was that even though it could probably be repaired, would it be safe? That was enough for me so I went scouring eBay for a secondhand one and luckily got one from the UK for £87 delivered inc tax. It’s in bits of course and needs a full rebuild inc paint but sure that’s where the fun is! The tank, side covers and decals went to the body shop today. I’d some job getting the tank back to the metal but hopefully it will pay off. I might get the engine fired up again by the weekend and I’ll be on the home stretch then. Here’s a few up to date pics to keep you interested!

B364-FCC9-7140-4871-BB65-D0-AAE822-FE86.jpg

0-DD0-D16-D-4-DF5-4561-A7-AF-6015-AAED40-AD.png

B798-DE99-E45-A-484-C-ABE6-CE52-C59-A05-B4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

emeldc wrote: »

Had another go at the carbs today too.

A1690907-403-A-45-D5-8-BAF-F96160-BF770-F.jpg

0-D9095-EE-DB75-4558-B62-A-5-E72-EE5971-F9.jpg

You sir, have missed your calling.

Cleaning carbs and polishing them is a complete PITA - yours look fab. You should let us know your secret :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Looks Fab :-) well done

galwaytt wrote: »
    You sir, have missed your calling.

Cleaning carbs and polishing them is a complete PITA - yours look fab. You should let us know your secret :)

Cheers, no real secret although you’re right, they are a pain to do. Some cutting compound and some Dremel polishing pads to get in at the awkward bits works well. You can also use a fine grit wet and dry (1000) on the bigger parts. Finish it off with any metal polish, Brasso will do, although I find ‘Peek’ polish works very well. It’s never a quick job, you need to allow a couple of hours but it’s worth it.

So a bit of an update. The bike itself is finished although I haven't got the tank back from the body shop yet, not sure what the delay is there. The carbs have proven to be the stumbling block. They're all over the place. It starts on the button and is fine for about five minutes until it warms up. It then tends to rev up on it's own and is slow to return to idle. It's all to do with mixture and vacuum/air leaks etc but can be difficult to pinpoint the source. I've tried a few local heads for help but all are booked up until Aug/Sept. Good to be busy i suppose!
    Anyway the only bits I hadn't changed in the carbs were the needles in the sliders and a couple of rubber plugs in the float bowls that look a bit perished. Both can have an influence on the mixture/vacuum settings if they're not right. So i've stripped them right down again to double check I've no blockages and should have the new bits in a week or so. Hopefully I'll have cured something and they'll just need a bit of tuning. In the meantime, here she is without the tank and side covers.

IMG-20210620-170310.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fantastic work. A credit to your skill and patience.

I hope you can get that engine issue sorted (sounds like fuelling ok).

So I think I finally have the carbs working someway properly. I ended up having to replace the new sat of spark plugs as they stopped firing for some bizarre reason. I also replaced the slider needles and holders in the carbs and initially everything seemed fine only for the plugs to start acting up. Replaced them and then the **** started with the carbs again. So I dismantled the air box to check for blockages and put it back together minus a metal gauze type filter that’s sits between the air filter and the carb air intake. And what do you know, it’s running like a watch (well almost). I still have no fuggin tank so I made up a litre bottle of fuel and strapped it on to the frame and off I went. I only did 5 miles but ran it up to 60mph. Clutch, gears, brakes all feel good. No hesitations or misfires so not bad for something that hasn’t run for 17 years. When I get the tank I’ll put 20 or 30 miles on it and then re do the mixture and balancing. Alas for this one the end is nigh. It’s been fun.

So I haven't been here for a while, I'm finding the new platform a pain in the ass TBH and have lost a bit of interest. But anyhow I got the tank and covers back from the body shop, repaired and in primer so at leastI could get out for a spin and do some tuning. I've nearly 400 miles covered now and I'm fuggin' delighted with it. Ticks over like a watch, no misfires, no flat spots and starts and stops like it should. The only thing left is the colour and decals. I intend leaving them back to the body shop in the next week or so. My next post will show the finished article.

Post edited by emeldc on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That is stunning, glad to hear the engine is so good.. Well wear..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Really nice job.

FYI, the pictures in the first post worked for me, but not the second post. 🙄

Cheers lads. I deleted the second post. Cant figure out how to post the pics like i did in the rest of the thread. That's progress for you!!

Finally got the tank and covers back from the body shop but I think they were worth waiting for. The bike is buried in the shed as I’m doing some renovations at home but if I get a chance I’ll pull it out at the weekend and put everything together.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

They are stunning, as new, lovely job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What a way to top it off!

Here ya go. Might have to get another one to get me through the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Stunning, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

that's a stunner tbh. And a lovely model bike as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Lovely work well done :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tokaitelejohn

What a great job! She's a credit to you.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comments lads. It’s been a great experience. Took it out yesterday in the winter sun just to fill up with petrol. Probably put it away now. Roll on the spring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I love this thread. Great job OP. Can't believe that seat is second hand, it's in great nick. Whole thread made me pine for my Honda Benly CD200 which was cruelly taken from me when somebody's little darling set fire to it at the school I was teaching.

Do you think you'll take on another?

I wouldn’t mind taking on another although probably not to the same detail. My brother has a cd175 that’s just gathering dust so I’m trying to pick my moment to see if he’ll let it go. I got lucky with the seat and the two mudguards alright, they’re near perfect. Some sellers on eBay are sound enough with pricing and condition, others are selling rusty junk for stupid money. The only new bits on the bike are the headlight rim and the mufflers, everything else that was replaced is second hand or repaired and refurbished. For bearings, seals and all the small bits I used genuine Honda parts where possible. There’s a few parts that are discontinued so you’re stuck with aftermarket parts in that case. From what I’ve read carburetor parts from eBay are a waste of money and will cause more issues than they solve and are usually Chinese crap.

Advertisement