Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accident, notify insurance or not?

Options
  • 01-06-2021 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭

Was driving down a lane a while ago, too narrow for two cars. I park as close to the ditch as I can, camper van drives past and hits my passenger door and rear passenger quarter panel. Not a huge amount of damage, a small dent and scraped along the arch but I'd like it fixed.

Anyway, he gave me details and told me to get quotes and doesn't want to go through insurance. I took a photo of the reg and insurance as well.

Question is, do I notify my insurance? I've no problem him paying cash and I've sent photos to get a quick quote and will gett a proper one over the weekend.

He seemed a genuine lad, I don't want to cause any issues but at the same time, if in 2 weeks I get the car fixed and then he won't pay will my insurance tell me where to go because I didn't notify them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Notify them "for record purposes" and explain you're waiting for the TP to settle your claim. If you have a repair estimate, I wouldn't be giving him 2 weeks to pay up.

Whatever happens,, if you need to claim under your own policy, don't do any repairs until your insurer has a chance to inspect the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Voguementol

I had a very similar experience. I pulled in to the side of the road and a large van went to go past but scraped my car. He accepted it was his fault. I took lots of photos just in case of the car position etc. I got quotes and he paid up very quickly. I didnt feel the need to involve the insurance company. There was no issue as to liability and it was a small claim around 400 euros. Trust your gut id say. If you think there is any way he will not pay then id inform the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

I feel like he will pay but I don't know the man, hard to really know. I'll hopefully have a quote tomorrow, send it on and then see what he says.

Whatever happens I presume my insurance won't increase? Reading some stories online about premiums rising even with just a notification and no fault of the person reporting it, I don't know if that's true or not though... Last thing I need is my premium going up!

It can work out but rarely does. Usually ends up with the other party underestimating the repair estimate and then baulking. Then you get the lad who insists his mate can do it for €50.

This is it wrote: »
    I feel like he will pay but I don't know the man, hard to really know. I'll hopefully have a quote tomorrow, send it on and then see what he says.

Whatever happens I presume my insurance won't increase? Reading some stories online about premiums rising even with just a notification and no fault of the person reporting it, I don't know if that's true or not though... Last thing I need is my premium going up!

If your insurer doesn't pay out, your premium won't go up. Half the urban myths about that are as a result of insurers increasing their rates at renewal anyway and the notification is just coincidental

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for the information. I'll report it to insurance and give him a couple of days after I give the quote.

Just an update in this. Got two quotes for the work yesterday, passed them on to the lad that hit me last night and he called over today with cash for it. Genuinely decent man, no issues at all with him and I actually feel sorry for him having to pay but I want the car fixed so not sorry enough that I'd tell him it's grand!

I did notify my insurance, they just sent me the details in an email and closed it off again.

There are decent souls out there. It's just they very rare. Well done

Advertisement