Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker season 2020/21

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Rankings are obviously a fairly reliable guide of general consistency, but could sometimes be a bit perplexing too. I remember Ken making a big jump to No.2 the same year Hendry was 1, without really doing all that much. He'd won Malta open, but sadly i believe he was on the slide at the time, just never the player he was from around turn of century.

Thing with rankings is the more you win, the higher you climb but then the more points you will have to defend either the next or following season. Even more so back then when not such a busy calendar. World champs really skewered it, then when you lost those points you faced the prospect of a mini slide down the table. Unless you went and won it again, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ronnie making an announcement on facebook tomorrow at 3pm. Lot of people online speculating that he may be about to announce his retirement.

When he first mentioned the announcement I assumed it was gonna be something to do with cooking or running but about an hour ago he put up pics on his facebook page of his first and last world championship wins. Could indicate that he's about to head off into the sunset. Will be a sad say for the sport if he is saying farewell.

The message i saw quoted wouldn't indicate imminent retirement to me anyway. Could be anything, new book, new business sideline of some sort and this is certainly a good way of drumming up maximum publicity! Sure we'll find out soon enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hopefully not. He was only saying a few months back that he wants to play to age 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I'd think so many players have put it up to him this season he'd be well up for the challange of it.

I always thought that if he were going to pack it in, it would be because he'd lost too much respect for the game, or slithered down the rankings too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Don't think its retirement.
    Hes won nearly 250k this season,Doubt if he'd pack it in while he's collecting that every season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭waynescales1

New cue action?

20210406-141203.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Genghis

Anyone watching?

Yes he's not retiring. Smiling his head off. What a troll.

Teaming up with the Rokit brand.

• Advertisement

Just a very good marketing wheez, a smart boy is our ronnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He got me good. Should have known better! Brand announcement with company called Rokit.

Judd named as player of the season, though i note the media equivalent went to Selby. I'm with the media on this one. You can probably argue it both ways, but the worlds just carries so much weight for me that the balance swings towards Selby.

And note rookie of the year Pang Junxu, been banging on about this chap for a while. Very good prospect.

https://wst.tv/trump-named-player-of-the-year-for-third-time/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

More relevant to next year but Mark Allen announced he will take a break from the game as he declares bankruptcy.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/mark-allengoesfromblackto-red-snooker-star-declaredbankrupt-40457827.html

Poor guy. I presume there's plenty of things going on behind the scenes so I hope he's able to overcome them and get himself back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

Theres a paywall for that article, no idea of his circumstances but he won the champion of champions earlier this year, think it was worth 200/250k to him, strange one. I know it's been well documented he suffered or suffers with depression which can't be easy. A brilliant player but lacks any type of consistency, hope he bounces back , maybe a year off the circuit or whatever will do him good

To Joe public , I know it's a while since your post but yeah it's a flip of a coin for me. Judd played fantastic stuff earlier in the season and only lost the UK on the last frame to Robertson as well. We'll never know about the masters because of him catching covid. It's a hard call , no doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

volono wrote: »
    Theres a paywall for that article, no idea of his circumstances but he won the champion of champions earlier this year, think it was worth 200/250k to him, strange one. I know it's been well documented he suffered or suffers with depression which can't be easy. A brilliant player but lacks any type of consistency, hope he bounces back , maybe a year off the circuit or whatever will do him good

Yeah the amount of money coming in certainly wasn't the cause of the bankruptcy. Whether he made some bad investments or it's something non-business related, I don't pretend to know. You always wonder if a fella who makes so much money and goes bankrupt, is into gambling or drugs, but I'm not suggesting any evidence that he's into either.

Whatever the cause, he needs some help and support now and I hope he uses his time out of the sport to get it so he can get himself back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

I don't particularly like Allen but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I saw screenshots of the article but I can't find it now on twitter.

From memory, Allen resigned as director of the company in his name. He's in the early stages of his divorce which is expected to be a long drawn out affair. The article mentioned previous problems regarding child support payments for one of his children, outside of his current marriage.

I would have to wonder where a lot of it went, he lives in Antrim which wouldn't be particularly expensive area to buy a house in the grand scheme of things. My initial thoughts were drinking, gambling and drugs but I haven't seen any suggestion of that.

I'll happily be proved wrong but I've thought for a long time Allen won't reach the top of snooker again. Looking at him he doesn't look remotely healthy, overweight, heavy bags under his eyes. He's only 35 but looks at least 10 years or more older.

I remember him mentioning himself and Stephen Maguire are firm mates on the circuit, always have a drink etc. I think it'd be fair to say we all enjoy a drink but Maguire was getting interviewed during the season and basically said if he's not going on the lash every few days he starts losing it, covid aside with the venues last season that doesn't sound great , Allen said something roughly similar afew seasons ago. Maybe the drink did play a part in it. There'll be more to come out I'd imagine, if there's one thing about Allen, he isn't afraid to speak his mind!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

weemcd wrote: »
    I don't particularly like Allen but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I saw screenshots of the article but I can't find it now on twitter.

From memory, Allen resigned as director of the company in his name. He's in the early stages of his divorce which is expected to be a long drawn out affair. The article mentioned previous problems regarding child support payments for one of his children, outside of his current marriage.

I would have to wonder where a lot of it went, he lives in Antrim which wouldn't be particularly expensive area to buy a house in the grand scheme of things. My initial thoughts were drinking, gambling and drugs but I haven't seen any suggestion of that.

I'll happily be proved wrong but I've thought for a long time Allen won't reach the top of snooker again. Looking at him he doesn't look remotely healthy, overweight, heavy bags under his eyes. He's only 35 but looks at least 10 years or more older.

2 families worth of child maintenance, plus the divorce proceedings.
    Quite plausibly that's taking up to 75% of his income.

Also saw something on reddit about him opening a snooker hall in January 2020, which is obviously in hindsight the nut worst time to have been taking out a commercial loan for a leisure industry endeavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭waynescales1

2 families worth of child maintenance, plus the divorce proceedings.
    Quite plausibly that's taking up to 75% of his income.

No wonder he's depressed.

Advertisement