Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Elway and Ellis have tested positive for COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Good win against the Dolphins. Defense played really well, 6 sacks. Offensively very good on the ground, over 160yds between the RB's. Is Lock improving ? He needs to though, we are dead last in terms of interceptions, dead last in terms of completion percentage ! I think he will improve, he just needs time & confidence.
    Next 2 weeks are tough tho, can't see us winning those !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Over the past week I changed my mind about the new Broncos GM - I want to see Paton or Fontenot hired. I've come to the conclusion that its time for a new broom and they shouldn't be hiring anyone with prior connections to the Broncos hierarchy.

Both Paton and Fontenot had second interviews yesterday - Fontenot by video link and then Paton in Denver. It is clear that Paton is the preferred option and the expectation was that Paton would be announced the new GM yesterday evening. The concern is that Elway has repeatedly said that the new GM will have total control over all personnel decisions - so they better not be putting roadblocks in the way of Paton signing at this stage.

Over the past week I changed my mind about the new Broncos GM - I want to see Paton or Fontenot hired.

You got your wish and I concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The consensus seems to be that we got a good 'un.

Lot's of Vikings fans peeved at another quality hire living their building but seem to be personally happy for him all the same.

Now if facing Stafford twice a year has made him a fan; so much so that he brings him to Mile High then I'm onboard!

• Advertisement

Now if facing Stafford twice a year has made him a fan; so much so that he brings him to Mile High then I'm onboard!

If we can get Stafford for 2.40 then I would be supportive - wouldn't ship out 1.9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Obligatory post Round 1 draft pick discussion................and I understand I don't know as much as the GM of the team

I have to say, I'm a bit gutted we did not grab one of the QBs left on the board at #9

I know, Surtain is as close to a sure fire corner as you are likely to get, and any other year, i would be delighted with the pick.

But, it's not every year you end up with a top 10 pick (please god, not again) and to have one of the touted QBs drop into our laps and we pass because we have Drew Lock and Teddy Bridgewater makes no sense to me. And looking at what Chicago gave up to move up a few spots in the draft to nab Fields makes me wonder, if we fielded any similar offers from teams to move into #9 if we knew we weren't going to go QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I hope they plan on making a push for Rodgers or Watson ,a QB competition between lock and Bridgewater doesnt really get me excited.Surtain for sure will be a great player just a weird pick it wasnt our most urgent need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I hope they plan on making a push for Rodgers or Watson ,a QB competition between lock and Bridgewater doesnt really get me excited. Surtain for sure will be a great player just a weird pick it wasnt our most urgent need.

I'm not buying into the Rodger trade stuff at all and Watson, I'm not sure he can survive all of the ongoing allegations against him, nor could I see myself being particularly happy about the team picking him up at all even if he did tbh.

I know what you mean about Lock and Bridgewater though, it feels like rinse and repeat from seasons gone by. I can't fathom it at all. What do they know about Fields and Jones that turned them off....and what do they know about the current QBs that makes them satisfied?

I suppose we'll have to wait until it all plays out, but surely there must have been interest in teams to trade into #9 when the two QBs fell. Perhaps they were so sure we were going to take one that the phone didn't ring....who knows?

The way this franchise has handled the qb position since Peyton retired has been questionable to say the least .We need a franchise QB,players like Flacco Keenum and Bridgewater are stop gaps nothing more and Lock is simply not good enough .
    The Broncos are gonna be in a division for the next 10 years plus with two of the best QBs in the game in Mahomes and Herbert we need a guy who can compete with them.

• Advertisement

I'm 100% on board with Paton. Love the Bridgewater move, looked like they were going to bet the house on Watson until the allegations surfaced.

I think they'll test the Packers in relation to Rodgers at some point but if not go with what they have and see how the QB market falls next spring.

How do we feel about facing into the season with a Bridgewater v Lock competition at QB?

I'd have been happy out with that before the rumours of Rodgers surfaced in GB.

Just watched the highlights versus the Seahawks, that was impressive, both on Offence & Defence, a very interesting season ahead I would hope !

The problem is that the game probably gave the coaching staff an out to pick Teddy as the QB. While I am still not convinced about Lock - he had far more upside than Teddy and imo gives the Broncos a much better chance to compete than Teddy.

Tim Jenkins did an analysis of the Vikes game and showed how Teddy repeatedly checked down instead of hitting a wide open receiver who was deeper. In the Seahawks game Teddy was helped by Fangio going for it on 4th down - effectively forcing Teddy to take a chance rather than check down - which was the reason the Broncos were in 4th down in the first place.

Of course all of this is happening in a background of the Broncos failing to take a QB in the draft when one fell into their lap. Surtain is going to be a stud but he is not a franchise QB. My opinion of Paton went down the tubes with that decision. He operated straight out the Rick Spielman playbook - build a solid roster and use a journeyman QB - without every really challenging for a SB.

Rumours coming out of Denver are that Paton's strategy was to build a solid roster and use Fangio's brilliance as a DC to have the defence humming - then sack the coaching staff - blame Elway, Fangio and Lock - and bring in a new coaching staff and get Cousins in as his journeyman QB. Worst case scenario would be sacking Fangio and making Shurmur the HC - but again - that would be straight out of the Rick Spielman playbook.

Or we're getting Rodgers next year and this all makes sense really.

I saw that Jenkins video the other day, he breaks it down well. Apart from the QB situation, where I like Lock, I think he has a great arm but unfortunately a little slow in the pocket, a good defence will devour him. Speaking of defences, how do ye see ours playing this year ? rem defences win SB's ;)

It seems like Fangio went with Bridgewater as he thinks hes the safer option wont throw as many ints etc but everyone knows what you get with Bridgewater hell just check the ball down and play it safe he is a mediocre QB at the Nfl level . If I was drew lock I would demand to be traded to a team that would give him a shot .I just dont see how Bridgewater can compete with the likes of Mahomes and Herbert twice a year ,we should have just drafted fields if we wernt gonna start lock ,Bridgewater is just gonna be another case Keenum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Where would Lock go in the NFL where he wouldn't be a back up? You can maybe argue a small few teams but no one is going to trade anything of value for him and he'd be on the same bubble as he is right now between starting and benching. There is a decent chance he still sees game time with the Broncos this season if it doesnt work out with Bridgewater and he knows the system. Broncos did everything they could to support Lock, much more than many young QBs, sot he only has himself to blame for it not working out thus far.

Agree that not picking Fields now looks like an awful decision at this point

So where do we stand now after 4 games, 3 wins against poor opposition but Baltimore showed that we definitely need more on Offence to win games ! Can't see us making the playoffs, our division is too tight/competitive !

LOL what were the Cowboys doing (4th downs) ? seemed to inspire us to an unexpected win, can we drive on from here tho !?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Not a Broncos fan but - RIP DT #88.

Haven't been on here in a while - but just had to post to express my sadness at the loss of Bay Bay.

DT was a terrific WR - second best receiver ever for the Broncos in my view - after Rod Smith (and possibly could have been so much better if he didn't have a career blighted by an ongoing hip injury).

But more importantly - everyone who knew him recounts how great a person he was - with an infectuous joy for life - always making time for people, especially kids from depreived backgrounds like he came from - never seeking the limelight - and being an all round good guy.

Bay Bay - I mourn your sad passing as does every Broncos fan and many more people outside that sphere - you will be remembered and honoured over time.

Broncos fire Vic Fangio (and Shurmur and McMahon) - no surprise.

Well folks, what do we make of the upcoming season ? and a tasty start in Seattle !! We have the QB, we have the WR's, good RB, good Defence, but maybe our O-line is the weak link !?

/oh, and Lewis Hamilton being a part owner !

How have we enjoyed the cluelessness of the last 2 games?

Yesterday was worse than Monday for me.

We won, but just about !!!! Our QB is struggling, big time, but...........if he gets his act together, then we will be a tough team to beat !!

New Season folks and what do ye think ?

Stidham & Albert O had great a game against the Rams, the big Q is : do we go with Stidham ?

And Is he good enough ?!

(esp if Russ is the same as last year, ie. brutal 😒)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

Will be an interesting season. I think Albert O may get traded in the next few days...His blocking as a TE isn't good enough but with all the WR,s injuries he may be saved after that game.

I worry about the strength of the O-Line but Russ might get a bit more freedom to run around and make plays this year.

I think overall with the HC change the team will be better organised and should be a bit more competitive but I think the overall roster strength isn't good enough.

They might have a better season in terms of setup but still miss out on playoffs .

Stidaham may be worth a look at the end of season if nothing on the line but can't see him getting a shot before that unless Russ is just woeful or injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

Albert O traded to Eagles 😎

• Advertisement

What do we think folks? can we make the playoffs ? I dont want to say it too loud, but we could win all our remaining games 😮😂

Rus is still struggling, way too many 3rd down non-conversions, way too many punts, imagine if we had a 'good' QB ??!! 😎

Advertisement