Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Random video I stumbled upon down the youtube rabbit hole.. with a familiar tail seen when the 1st F15 is rolling.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

We obviously have a similar YouTube algorithm as that popped up for me 2-3 days ago as well.
    Cool video. Am sure the flight crew in the holding heavies had their cameras out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'm not joking when I say this, I'd be more than wondering if the Google algorithms are noting the visits to the aviation section of Boards.ie, and putting that into the selection systems on Youtube. Another influence in that area might be whicb browser is being used to access the web, for the same reasons. There's very little that happens on the web these days that both Google and Facebook don't get to know about.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

It also popped up for me 2-3 days ago :p

Anyone check out Dark Skies on YouTube youtube.com/channel/UCwx8xyh6ZlDI5ZQpbIWKnUg

Some very interesting stuff on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

This is pretty cool, the idea is to replicate the Lindbergh New York Paris flight. But they don’t give a timeline

https://spiritofstlouis2.com/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Stealthirl wrote: »
    It also popped up for me 2-3 days ago :p

Anyone check out Dark Skies on YouTube youtube.com/channel/UCwx8xyh6ZlDI5ZQpbIWKnUg

Some very interesting stuff on there

I do like that channel. Found it about 2 months ago.
    I previously watched/still watch "Military history visualized" "drachnifels" and "military aviation history"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

yes,Ive noticed those channels being recommended to me. I find some of the videos a bit too "fanboi" for my liking.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IAC deliver vaccines to the offshore island my family is from - I've one great aunt full time resident and in the age group so hopefully she got hers today; the rest that are still there are a bit younger

https://www.facebook.com/arainnmhor/photos/pcb.10158767727196936/10158767717571936

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Amazingly, pilot, the sole occupant of the plane, walked away with few minor scratches.

8tfl4h9.jpg

Witnesses mentioned cross winds at the moment of crash.

1:30pm local time today, Gliwice, Poland.

SP-TOF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What's happening with all the Norwegian planes parked in Shannon does anyone know? Waiting to be sold? How long can you leave a plane parked up outside like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Landing 01R at SFO, very kai Tak esque

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1408088966360862723

E4qIt9_X0AY5-dA?format=jpg&name=small

Can somebody identify the planes in this photo? Im intrigued by the larger on between piers. Thanks

GBX wrote: »
    Can somebody identify the planes in this photo? Im intrigued by the larger on between piers. Thanks

that would be the Carvair - car transporter...

0ad4c2c13d0a5e8fc3ed50c89a7de74f.jpg

210329132702-02-aviation-traders-carvair-restricted-super-169.jpg

I'd seen it before in photos but couldn't remember the name. Thanks Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

GBX wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1408088966360862723

From bottom left: 2 Boeing 707s, Fokker F27, 3 Vickers Viscounts plus the aforementioned Carvair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

210329132702-02-aviation-traders-carvair-restricted-super-169.jpg

Airspeed Ambasaador tripletail?

RadioRetro wrote: »
    From bottom left: 2 Boeing 707s, Fokker F27, 3 Vickers Viscounts plus the aforementioned Carvair.

Super. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Airspeed Ambasaador tripletail?
    Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Not a fan of the new Boards design.

Before it was very easy to see at a glance what you'd read and what you hadn't. Now it requires much more effort.

Why fix what wasn't broken?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The new system is very much (unfortunately) an ongoing work in progress that does not at present deliver what had been promised. Things didn't go according to plan with the conversion, and a number of issues are still very much outstanding to be resolved. We have been promised that it will improve, but don't hold your breath, the team working on it is not large, and there are a lot more issues than there were supposed to be at this stage.

The move had to happen for a number of reasons, the main ones being the age of the hardware it was running on, and the increasing difficulty of supporting the original software version that was over 20 years old, and not patchable/upgradeable to the latest versions of the software. The combination of these two issues was resulting in increasingly regular failures of the old system, which were becoming harder to resolve as time went on.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hardware it's running on is irrelevant, even if for some reason an install of the software onto new hardware would be difficult, a disk image can always be spun up as a virtual machine on another host.

But on the upside we've now got zillions of emojis 🙄

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heard a very loud plane flying over here near Tralee tonight, could tell it was low, thought it might be an Antonov, have heared them a few times but after checking out flight radar turned out to be a Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules at 21,000 feet approx. speed about 360 knts .

So it seems a Turkish owned military jet (Gulfstream IV) was found to be packed to the absolute gills with Cocaine in Brazil!!

seems they stopped to refuel!!

Aircraft captured by the Federal Police at SBFZ Airport - Brazil…….

Owner - Government of Turkey…..

Full of Cocaine.

Airframe Info

Manufacturer: Gulfstream Aerospace

Model: Gulfstream IV  Search all Gulfstream Aerospace Gulfstream IV

Year built: 1987

Construction Number (C/N): 1043

Aircraft Type: Fixed wing multi engine

Number of Seats: N/A

Number of Engines: 2

Engine Type: Turbofan

Engine Manufacturer and Model: Rolls-Royce Tay 611

Aircraft

Registration Number: TC-GVA

Mode S (ICAO24) Code: 4B9EC1

Current Status: Registered

Owner

Owner: Turkish Air Force

Address: Turkey

As far as we know it was a Tech stop for refueling at SBFZ Airport, police is starting to dig deeper about all the info’s, but it’s not going to release the investigation for now….

An IL-112V has crashed in the Moscow region after what looks like its starboard engine caught fire.

Apparently 3 souls on board - RIP

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1427557666981830657?s=20

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Through the ages :):)

Unregistered Users

Thought that's L410 turbolet, but after a while I'm convinced it's not. Any ideas?

Edit: never mind, found it:

https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/192304047/n105wm-1978-mitsubishi-mu-2n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

"flight calibration services " causing a bit of a racket over Blanch late last night . Even with it so cloudy you could get a clear view of it. It flew over me a couple of times when I was walking home last night

Advertisement