Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Economist subscription

• 11-01-2021 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

Amyone subscribed? I used to but found i simply could not finish a magazine. Articles well written but too long. Not enough culture, books sports etc.
    How much is it these days? Or should i look at Time or Newsweek?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Try the Financial Times Weekend on a Saturday. Best paper going imo. In the same gene pool as the Economist, so great journalism and reportage, just not as heavy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

dohboy wrote:
    Try the Financial Times Weekend on a Saturday. Best paper going imo. In the same gene pool as the Economist, so great journalism and reportage, just not as heavy going.

I used to subscrice to the Economist a long time ago. Great writing very enjoyable. Not at all aimed at economics as such. Lots of interesting politics.
    I let it expire .
    Articles that bit too long.
    Not enough on books and culture etc.
    No sports.
    It would be great if they changed it a bit.

Bur the Financial Times on Saturday? Surely it's all high economics?

Got rhe Irish Times recently on a Saturday. Nothing of interest at all. A waste of money.

Why is FT to be recommended?

The daily FT is strongly finance-led, but still has good world news and features in it. The FT Weekend is more of a Sunday-type read a strong news section, good columnists, magazines, arts and culture, etc. There's no sports reporting, but there's usually some stuff about the business of sport. FT Weekend is not as finance focused as the daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

bobbyss wrote: »
    Amyone subscribed? I used to but found i simply could not finish a magazine. Articles well written but too long. Not enough culture, books sports etc.
    How much is it these days? Or should i look at Time or Newsweek?

I was subscribing buy at 90 a quarter it was a bit steep. What I loved was the audio version - even at that - I still coundnt get through it!

IRE60 wrote:
    I was subscribing buy at 90 a quarter it was a bit steep. What I loved was the audio version - even at that - I still coundnt get through it!

Yrs. It's just a pity. It's a great magazine. What's the next best thing i wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I get The Economist UK edition every month delivered through my RB digital app free of charge along with over 500 other mags. I used to get The Economist delivered up to a few years ago but that mag has now stopped now on RB,

Another great service courtesy of my library card.

Yrs. It's just a pity. It's a great magazine. What's the next best thing i wonder.

It's actually a newspaper (printed in magazine-format :D).

Fann Linn wrote:
    I get The Economist UK edition every month delivered through my RB digital app free of charge along with over 500 other mags. I used to get The Economist delivered up to a few years ago but that mag has now stopped now on RB,

RB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

RB ?

Yep. RB digital app from the playstore. Have it on my phone and tablet for many years now.

Advertisement