Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Players Championship, Feb 22-28

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Harsh on O’Sullivan. His game just hasn’t been there today, and he’s up against an opponent in immense form. Hard to commit to playing the right shot every time under those circumstances.

Thats fair, yellow apart there hasnt been that much extreme craziness, he's been outplayed and can easily rationalise it as just meeting a world class player on a going day and not a lot he could do. I doubt he'll be too distraught if he does go to lose as seems inevitable. Losing a lot of finals but still playing well in the main and i think it should be all about the worlds and catching hendry at this stage for ronnie. All the rest is just window dressing. At least i hope he might be thinking along those lines at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Thats fair, yellow apart there hasnt been that much extreme craziness, he's been outplayed and can easily rationalise it as just meeting a world class player on a going day and not a lot he could do. I doubt he'll be too distraught if he does go to lose as seems inevitable. Losing a lot of finals but still playing well in the main and i think it should be all about the worlds and catching hendry at this stage for ronnie. All the rest is just window dressing. At least i hope he might be thinking along those lines at least!

I was thinking something similar. The WC is arguably more significant than all the other tournaments combined. And yeah win % records etc. are nice but really not that important. He’s playing pretty well and the WC is only just around the corner.

I was thinking something similar. The WC is arguably more significant than all the other tournaments combined. And yeah win % records etc. are nice but really not that important. He’s playing pretty well and the WC is only just around the corner.

Yeah , i dont think he likes to give away much about it, but deep down i think he cares passionately about his legacy and getting to 7 world titles would be absolutely huge in terms of that. I take it on trust he's gotta be hugely up for that and thats what his recent motivation, all the increased practice hours with Martin Gould, is all about. We'll see, i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Well done Higgins. Nobody can argue that he doesn't deserve it. Top class all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Rothko wrote: »
    Well done Higgins. Nobody can argue that he doesn't deserve it. Top class all week.

Yeah, it would be incredible stuff at any age. But to do that at 45 is extra special.

Has to be the worst name for a sponsor I have heard though!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Rob Walker is a bit painful. Not everything is the best thing that's ever happened.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Rob Walker is a bit painful. Not everything is the best thing that's ever happened.

He’s unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, it would be incredible stuff at any age. But to do that at 45 is extra special.

Has to be the worst name for a sponsor I have heard though!

Yeah, even the boarding looks horrible, really cheap and tacky.

Imagine having to share a breakfast table with rob walker every morning, i get impression theres no off switch with him, can picture him introducing the family into the kitchen one by one.

Conversely, i think Jill is an excellent host but picking a double as your shot of the week is a total no no. It was basically a shot to nothing as well. Hendry was diplomatic but clearly unimpressed.

Rothko wrote: »
    Yeah, even the boarding looks horrible, really cheap and tacky.

The name is awful. But then I read that the company is to go on sale, with an expected valuation of £5-6 billion. The chap who owns it also created that real estate company Zoopla. The guy seems to have a fascination with zoos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Very disappointing from Ronnie. Kinda feels like he didn't believe he could win, so didn't even try. Almost as if he'd rather lose not trying rather than give his all and still get beaten by a player in God mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Very disappointing from Ronnie. Kinda feels like he didn't believe he could win, so didn't even try. Almost as if he'd rather lose not trying rather than give his all and still get beaten by a player in God mode.

Ronnie is only warming up for the Worlds .He does not want to peak too soon . He wants the 7th title. Badly . So you are correct

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The name is awful. But then I read that the company is to go on sale, with an expected valuation of £5-6 billion. The chap who owns it also created that real estate company Zoopla. The guy seems to have a fascination with zoos.

I think it's great to see a tournament not sponsored by a bettinf company. I can see the bettinf sponsorship going the same was as the tabacoo sponsorship, which nearly killed snooker.

Also, Cazoo sponsor both Villa and Everton so they are pumping huge money into sport.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think it was Ken that said Ronnie played similar to how he did v Selby in the World SF. Just going for it. I suppose there is an argument it nearly worked again. Just half sparked into life and did not get that run of three/four frames in a row going.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think it was Ken that said Ronnie played similar to how he did v Selby in the World SF. Just going for it. I suppose there is an argument it nearly worked again. Just half sparked into life and did not get that run of three/four frames in a row going.

It's east to criticise Ronnie. But no one else won more than 1 frame against Higgins. Not being white washed was almost an achievement in itself. I honestly think that's the best tournament he's ever played. White washing Selby is an unbelievable feat.

Has anyone ever been as dominant over a whole tournament as Higgins was last week? I can't think of one.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Was looking over a few of the archives. There are a few dominant performances by hendry alright but a struggle to find anything clearly better than higgins all last week. Hendry won the 1990 Dubai Classic conceding 5 frames the whole tournament, playing two more rounds than higgins, beating decent players like Foulds, Robidoux, Hallett amd thumping then main rival Steve Davis 9-1 in the final. I supppse that might come pretty close.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Imagine having to share a breakfast table with rob walker every morning, i get impression theres no off switch with him, can picture him introducing the family into the kitchen one by one.

Conversely, i think Jill is an excellent host but picking a double as your shot of the week is a total no no. It was basically a shot to nothing as well. Hendry was diplomatic but clearly unimpressed.

I’ve been in Rob Walkers company a few times and he’s completely different to the tv side, lovely fella with a genuine zest for life 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Across the 4 matches in the players championship, Higgins lost only 4 frames..

Considering two of his opponents were former world champions and one is probably recognized as the greatest player the sport has produced, that’s some going...

Advertisement