Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dummy Guide for putting mare in foal

• 08-02-2021 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I’m thinking of putting my riding mare in foal this summer but I have never done this before and I don’t know where to start HELP should I have her on supplements now to prepare her, is everything done AI now or do studs do natural coverings. My mare isn’t typically mareish so she doesn’t typically show signs when she is in season. Can anyone give my a dummy guide to putting a mare in foal to a nice stallion for someone who hasn’t done this before guide!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I suppose one of the 1st things I'd consider is what kind of a foal you are looking for and what stallion would be good combined with your mare's traits to try to attain that. What kind of breeding has she?What's your budget , stallion wise?I'd be very inclined to get someone who knows your mare "personally" to get you started.

The other thing to consider is what you plan to do when the foal arrives- foals are generally not weaned before 6 months- have you the facilities to allow for that time and what do you plan to ride in the meantime?

Supplement wise, you don't want her too fat before she goes in foal. Worm her properly and check her teeth checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 M0030

She is out of a clover hill stallion, so will probably look for a stallion with lighter bone. She herself is an excellent all rounder, and has been a wise head on younger shoulders. I suppose the view for the foal would be to keep for breaking when its 3/4, no issues with facilities when foal arrives Mare is up to date on worming and teeth, probably could lose a few pounds! I just haven't done this before so I don't know the process scanning and all that end of things

Advertisement