Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Open University Questions and Answers

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

Does anybody know if you were to claim a qualification on credits that you have already amassed, how quickly you receive the qualification?

ie-
    Student with 120 credits amassed but not allocated to anything, decides to “cash out” at certificate level. Enrols for a qualification and already has the required credits. Does a cert issue straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Does anybody know if you were to claim a qualification on credits that you have already amassed, how quickly you receive the qualification?

ie-
    Student with 120 credits amassed but not allocated to anything, decides to “cash out” at certificate level. Enrols for a qualification and already has the required credits. Does a cert issue straight away?

I remember you were doing Maths and Stats, how did you find it. I'm interested in doing this. Not in a sense that it will further my career but just because I'm interested in doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Hi Folks, not sure if I should be posting here or starting a new thread.

I cant seem to find good info on what will happen to degrees earned through OU or any other UK university in terms of ECTS after Brexit. Will british Universities lose this affiliation post them leaving the EU or is it run under a seperate system?

I ask because I was interested in pursuing an undergraduate engineering degree as it would help massively career wise but wanted the option to do my masters in Europe/Ireland in Limerick or the Netherlands specifically after the fact. Doesnt seem like a viable option at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

This was linked in a mail they sent out recently.

https://help.open.ac.uk/brexit-and-continuing-your-study-with-the-ou

Qualification recognition
    Our qualifications are recognised through the Bologna process, which extends beyond the European Union. The University is also accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education in America.

We can provide an academic transcript of your studies called a Diploma Supplement which provides additional detail about your study in addition to your certificate. If you have already graduated you can download this from your StudentHome study record.

While we do not know yet how qualifications will be recognised in different jurisdictions, Universities UK expect the Government to keep existing recognitions. However, official recognition of qualifications gained outside the country in which you wish to work or study is complex. Each country has its own legal and administrative framework, with which you must comply, and there are supranational directives, for example within the EU, which often add to the complexity.

This is a fast-changing area, within which any advice is temporary, so you will need to inform yourself before seeking recognition. This is explained in more depth in our recognition leaflet. Note you may have to change your country or region at www.open.ac.uk to access the leaflet.

We will carry on offering a university education of the highest quality, with the flexibility and support that helps our students to succeed, often combining study with work, caring and other responsibilities. We also continue to will work with the rest of the higher education sector to ensure that the strengths of all our excellent universities are recognised and built upon in future international agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

This was linked in a mail they sent out recently.

https://help.open.ac.uk/brexit-and-continuing-your-study-with-the-ou

Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected, lots of hand waving and empty reassurances, like most things Brexit related.

So the degree will still have its reputation and look good on a CV but as far as other EU universities are concerned it will be the same as someone applying from say the US or Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just remember that the UK has one of the best educational systems in the world by various measures, so that's not going to disappear overnight with Brexit.

I honestly don't see any issues with you transferring to another European institution, I seriously doubt they would suddenly stop recognising qualifications/credits from the UK post-Brexit.

Where there may be an issue is in relation to transfer into- and out of- the UK on programmes such as Erasmus. In addition if you did something like say, 120 ECTS worth of a course in the UK and wanted to use those credits as an exemption from a course in another EU country, you may run into issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 npatrick

Is 120 ECTS likes 240 CATS?

Advertisement