Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning mobile app development

• 26-03-2021 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello,
    I'm thinking of taking a course to learn mobile app development.
    I know a lot of HTML/CSS already.
    A friend said to look at Sencha.

Any recommendations on what route to go down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It looks like you're talking about hybrid/cross-platform mobile dev, as opposed to native dev (Android/Kotlin, iOS/Swift).

If you want to use javascript, you'd be talking about React Native.
    Xamarin uses C#.
    Another option is Flutter, which uses Dart.

Is this a hobby, or do you intend to get a job in mobile dev? If you want a job in React/Flutter etc, then you'd probably need to be able to make a basic native app anyway, as you'll need to understand some underlying stuff.

If it's a hobby, its up to you. Personally I'd say go with React Native. There's more online support, even if Flutter is, apparently, going to be big! It's Google owned and being pushed by them as the main hybrid platform.

Also, do you have a mac? To compile iOS apps you need a Mac. Android can be compiled anywhere. I'd stick with whatever you have, rather than spending a small fortune on buying a new laptop/macbook and android phone/iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

The_B_Man wrote: »
    It looks like you're talking about hybrid/cross-platform mobile dev, as opposed to native dev (Android/Kotlin, iOS/Swift).

If you want to use javascript, you'd be talking about React Native.
    Xamarin uses C#.
    Another option is Flutter, which uses Dart.

Is this a hobby, or do you intend to get a job in mobile dev? If you want a job in React/Flutter etc, then you'd probably need to be able to make a basic native app anyway, as you'll need to understand some underlying stuff.

If it's a hobby, its up to you. Personally I'd say go with React Native. There's more online support, even if Flutter is, apparently, going to be big! It's Google owned and being pushed by them as the main hybrid platform.

Also, do you have a mac? To compile iOS apps you need a Mac. Android can be compiled anywhere. I'd stick with whatever you have, rather than spending a small fortune on buying a new laptop/macbook and android phone/iPhone.

No I've no Mac. Never had and never will. Haha.
    This is more a hobby for now. I teach C# programming but it's only the basics. I could be asked to do an introduction to mobile app development, so looking at the easiest way for me to get up to speed and cheapest / easiest way for my potential students to learn.

I was looking at Outsystems, have you seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Would seriously rethink that “never had a Mac, never will” attitude if you’re going to be teaching this stuff, we need to unlearn snobby platform wars in tech not reach more.

For hobby learning I’d go React Native.

Would seriously rethink that “never had a Mac, never will” attitude if you’re going to be teaching this stuff, we need to unlearn snobby platform wars in tech not reach more.

For hobby learning I’d go React Native.

No college or school or private organisation I've ever delivered training in has ever had Macs. So there you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bridest wrote: »
    No college or school or private organisation I've ever delivered training in has ever had Macs. So there you go...

Right I’m sure your students will love leaving behind half the addressable market and more importantly the ones who actually pay for apps.

Shall unfollow the thread now.

• Advertisement

Right I’m sure your students will love leaving behind half the addressable market and more importantly the ones who actually pay for apps.

Shall unfollow the thread now.

Not my doing dude, don't blame me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 carasco_rasco

android development is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Why do you say that? Genuinely interested – my understanding was always that Android was a larger market, but that iOS users tended to spend more.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mrlova

I will highly recommend Mosh Hammedani he is a great teacher and millions of people learn from his lectures

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mrlova

This is the channel of Mosh millions of people already learning https://www.youtube.com/@programmingwithmosh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 braderiejg

there are different online resources from where you can learn web development, a few of them are paid and free courses are also available. Online comunities provide online services for app development and other custom software development.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭bikermartin

Learning app development is a great idea, especially with your HTML/CSS knowledge. I went through a similar journey when I wanted to create an app for my coffee shop to manage orders better. After a bit of searching, I found a company that offers custom application development services. They use tools that don't require much coding, like Bubble and Airtable, which speed things up a lot. This was a big deal for me because it meant I could get my app without waiting forever or spending a ton of money.

They focused on what I needed and helped me figure out the best way to make my app work for both my team and my customers. Plus, they could handle everything from the app's look to how it stores data and works on the back end. This all-in-one approach made things way easier for me. For more details you can look here: https://www.crispysoftwaresolutions.com/.

Post edited by bikermartin on

Advertisement