Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Gentry - the demise

• 27-01-2019 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭

So urban gentry(the guvner) hasn’t posted a video in 3 weeks now and the rumour is he has copyright strikes from seiko for using their photos in his videos
    Couldn’t happen to a nicer chap, he’s a smug git that’s been milking it for a while now and he will review any old tat for a few quid, he pretends to be all airs and graces but it’s all an act for the camera

The internet isn’t for everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Where did you read that rumour?

From a very brief google Paul Pluta doesnt come across as a very trustworthy individual.

A youtube comment is the last place id be lookiong for facts:D
    He talked a lot of ****e but had some cool stuff on history and the factory tours were pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Anymore word on this OmegaGene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

He put a lot of effort into his videos, shilled a load of crap, and I myself fell for a couple of sh1tters. THe copyright stuff on yt is a load of crap, fair usage surely. He has sold more units for seiko than most AD's would think they would want him silenced.

• Advertisement

Have you any links to these?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

The Urban Shill.

Most new comers to the watch hobby think he's a god and can't see through his faux aristocratic, know-it-all bullsh*t persona.

He pushes a lot of cheap/afforable stuff so newbies love him him.

The low end Seiko crap that he pushes (sponsored by Long Island watches) is a great example.

No one talked about the low rent Sarb033 or ugly as sin Sarb017 before TGV was paid to push them by Long Island watches.

Similarly no one heard of Squale before he was paid to shill them either. Guess who owns squale.com? None other than Marc Frankel, the same guy that owns Long Island watches.

I personally hope he's gone for good.

What was he at before the youtube channel, all i remember is he said something about working in the music industry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Urban Shill.
    Aye, though to be fair TLK watch "journalism", online, twitter, youtube or in print is one of the most incestuous areas of journalism there is. You very rarely hear, watch or read a bad review, unless it's some no name Chinese watch brand or any of the fashion watch brands. I would trust forums and their opinions way more than pretty much any watch journo. Though even there certain forums like WatchUSeek have their fair share of suspicious posters, but it's less an issue.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No different to reddit or Amazon, reviews just cannot be trusted, its way to easy to buy likes and shares and thats before tgv or whoever starts pimping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

although i was a bit suspicious of how "gentry" he really is,
    i must say i'm a bit disappointed to hear he's a total con-man,
    i thought when he talked about his health and that sort of thing
    he was a bit more genuine than i maybe thought

as a newb ive learnt so much from his videos,
    he (seems to) know his stuff and certainly does put the research in
    the history and background content on his vids is really cool for an new enthusiast,

so that brings up the subject i suppose,
    are we to assume all his YT collaborators are shills too?
    and who (if anyone) of the watch guys are genuine non pocket liners!?

cheers

although i was a bit suspicious of how "gentry" he really is,
    i must say i'm a bit disappointed to hear he's a total con-man,
    i thought when he talked about his health and that sort of thing
    he was a bit more genuine than i maybe thought

as a newb ive learnt so much from his videos,
    he (seems to) know his stuff and certainly does put the research in
    the history and background content on his vids is really cool for an new enthusiast,

so that brings up the subject i suppose,
    are we to assume all his YT collaborators are shills too?
    and who (if anyone) of the watch guys are genuine non pocket liners!?

cheers

YouTube is as much of an advertising platform as it is for entertainment.
    With the amount of money, and watches that get thrown at these guys I'd be sceptical of his collaborations and most channels that have gone over 100k subs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon it could be a publicity stunt, disappear and get lots of people asking where's he gone, what happened etc. Personally I like his videos mostly because a lot of the watches he reviews are affordable.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

I'm on his Facebook group. Never watch the videos though.

Allegedly, he was on holiday and then a family member was/is sick. Could be a cover up, who knows.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

He can be a bit of fun at times, but very annoying too. He's a mess of contradictions though, one video he says one thing, and in another he says the opposite. But sometimes it's nice to see him go through something nice, and it is good to see lower priced watches too.

The urban gentry fellow always struck me as very fake. I understand that people put on accents and characters for videos but to me it goes beyond that....he reminds me of a greasy used car salesman. Smug, false in his mannerisms. A sneaky grin instead of a genuine warm smile.

I wouldn't be interested in his videos, nor Youtube drama in general. I do look at youtube videos to get a look at a watch from various angles but that's about as far as my interest goes.

The more I think about it the more I think it's a personal issue rather than that copyright crap.
    He has so many trolls and haters it's more plausable to me.
    Haven't seen anything remotely factual as of yet

The urban gentry fellow always struck me as very fake. I understand that people put on accents and characters for videos but to me it goes beyond that....he reminds me of a greasy used car salesman. Smug, false in his mannerisms. A sneaky grin instead of a genuine warm smile.

I wouldn't be interested in his videos, nor Youtube drama in general. I do look at youtube videos to get a look at a watch from various angles but that's about as far as my interest goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

The Urban Shill.

Most new comers to the watch hobby think he's a god and can't see through his faux aristocratic, know-it-all bullsh*t persona.

He pushes a lot of cheap/afforable stuff so newbies love him him.

The low end Seiko crap that he pushes (sponsored by Long Island watches) is a great example.

No one talked about the low rent Sarb033 or ugly as sin Sarb017 before TGV was paid to push them by Long Island watches.

Similarly no one heard of Squale before he was paid to shill them either. Guess who owns squale.com? None other than Marc Frankel, the same guy that owns Long Island watches.

I personally hope he's gone for good.

The sarb017 is one ugly ass watch alright. But the I have to say I love my SARB035

As for the Squale watches they seem to be overpriced invictas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

2shea wrote: »
    The sarb017 is one ugly ass watch alright. But the I have to say I love my SARB035
    Horses for courses, one of the best looking watches IMO. All the distinct features and design choices make it very unique and not like a homage to multiple other watches. the finish is also IMHO outstanding.

Totally incorrect statement, both have had a fairly big following long before TGV started promoting them. Just because he's been pushing them the last while, doesnt mean they were not massively popular before.
    I dont have a 033, but borrowed one for a few days and id hardly describe it as "low rent". perhaps i got lucky and the example i wore was much better than most, but it was very well made, and i could see no hint of rough finishing on hands, markers or body of watch. Braclet clasp wasnt great but bracelet was nice and when put on leather it just comes into its own.

Yes, the Urban fellow's channel is 4 years old. The SARB series were "forum popular" for at least 10 years. People were buying them from Japanese sellers long before LongIslandWatch even existed.

I am sure TGV drove some sales - any channel with 6 figure subscribers will. But he didn't popularise them.

Regarding SARB033/035, I would not call it low rent. In the original price range (they are jacked up now) it was hard to find a comparable watch with sapphire crystal, in-house movement, 50hr reserve, solid end-links, machined clasp. Even in Seiko's own lineup. They were very good value for money. Of course there was a lot of silly hyperbole from youtubers - overstating the build quality, comparing to Rolex etc - but I would not hold that against the watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

He's 100% deluded. He's actually so deluded it's funny! Yet I watch him every now and again.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    I dont have a 033, but borrowed one for a few days and id hardly describe it as "low rent". perhaps i got lucky and the example i wore was much better than most, but it was very well made, and i could see no hint of rough finishing on hands, markers or body of watch. Braclet clasp wasnt great but bracelet was nice and when put on leather it just comes into its own.

I actually owned one and in my experience it's a cheap feeling watch. The bracelet and clasp are woeful, there's no AR coating (or if there is it doesn't work) and it uses a typical low end Seiko movement that isn't particularly accurate and not pretty to look at behind the hardlex glass.

Having said that I can see the attraction of the SARB033/035. It existed to give aspirational Grand Seiko owners something that is a lot more affordable to most.

I actually owned one and in my experience it's a cheap feeling watch. The bracelet and clasp are woeful, there's no AR coating (or if there is it doesn't work) and it uses a typical low end Seiko movement that isn't particularly accurate and not pretty to look at behind the hardlex glass.

Having said that I can see the attraction of the SARB033/035. It existed to give aspirational Grand Seiko owners something that is a lot more affordable to most.

You must have. Gotten a Friday evening example.
    Regarding accuracy, I've owned from 7s26, 4xxx and 6rxx and they have all been more accurate and consistent than my eta's, which sho a much wider variation. Considering the eta's are usually boutique manufacturers and regulated and the seiko unregulated, that certainly says something.

Regarding the bracelet, it's a 300 euro watch(it's original and correct price) , what do you expect? It's never going to be a top of the line bracelet but it's well above its price range. Nicely finished, solid links.

Show me a better value, better looking, more consistently accurate without regulation watch anywhere in thr 300 euro range. The only alternative to me is going to be another seiko.

You must have. Gotten a Friday evening example.
    Regarding accuracy, I've owned from 7s26, 4xxx and 6rxx and they have all been more accurate and consistent than my eta's, which sho a much wider variation. Considering the eta's are usually boutique manufacturers and regulated and the seiko unregulated, that certainly says something.

Regarding the bracelet, it's a 300 euro watch(it's original and correct price) , what do you expect? It's never going to be a top of the line bracelet but it's well above its price range. Nicely finished, solid links.

Show me a better value, better looking, more consistently accurate without regulation watch anywhere in thr 300 euro range. The only alternative to me is going to be another seiko.

Are you sure you don't own a SARB? I seem to have touched a nerve!

Are you sure you don't own a SARB? I seem to have touched a nerve!

No nerve touched, I don't own a 033, I do own a 017 however. It's a discussion forum, I don't agree with your assessment and I'm discussing why. It's what discussion forums are for, right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seiko movements have been long known for being tough and remarkably accurate. A common enough thing to read on forums and reviews is "the movement in my [insert more expensive watch here] isn't as consistent as my 200 quid Seiko". Though it can depend on luck with the entry level movements, where the regulation can be variable, though they can usually be regulated to a pretty good rate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I do own a 017 however.

That explains it!

explains what? we were discussing the 033.
    the example of the 033 i wore was excellent, so everything you say disagreed with my experience.
    As mentioned before, sounds like you got a lemon, sorry to hear that, if you get a good example of one, of which most are, Im sure sense will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So any further update on this folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

and...he's back

Advertisement