Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Employment prospects with a Hdip in Social Policy

• 22-01-2019 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Interested in working with homeless charities. Have read relevant job descriptions - one wanted a BA Social Care while another wanted a Hdip Psychology or cognate subject. Does anyone know from experience if a Hdip Social Policy is a satisfactory qualification to apply for these kind of charity jobs? Would further study be required like a Masters? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

OP I have a H. Dip in social policy- I got it to convert my BA into a relevant course to apply for the masters in social work.

I really loved it and it ignited in me a love for policy I wasn’t expecting. I work for a charity now as a policy & reseach But I don’t think the hdip alone would have gotten me to this point- I also have 2 masters degrees (social work and disability studies by research).

It depends on what role you’re going for. Some would see a degree as the minimum so a hdip will help. Most though at my level would really require a masters.

Edit: the BA in social care is likely because that’s a professional qualification as a social care worker. Likewise the hdip in psychology because it’s as a support worker. You need to be more specific about the career you want rather than just “working with homeless charities”. The sector is not a particularly steady one and government funding and public fundraiser funds are the first to go in recession which means if you don’t have solid qualifications it would be hard to pivot into another sector.

Advertisement