Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marian Finucane Thread

Comments

I'd like to hear a bit more from Sammy Leslie. She was on the program previous to Marian.

I think she's an awful dose and it has nothing to do with her political views.
    I definitely see how people wouldn't be crazy about her style of comedy, just like I don't quite get the appeal of, say, Jimmy Carr or Jack Dee.

However, I think there's also something beyond mere diffeence in taste which so cajoles and irks a lot of people. Few things in light entertainment provoke such angry responses as a female comedian - Sarah Millican, Amy Schumer, Higgins, Deirdre O'Kane all get dog's abuse (admittedly, the last example is more understandable than others).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Oops69 wrote: »
    how long before Marion DOESNT mention the Mueller report Trump exoneration ?.... probably the whole weekend .

Tubridy said yesterday that he was "effectively" exonerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

when are you going to actually talk about the feckin plants rather than yourself , Diarmuid ?

I definitely see how people wouldn't be crazy about her style of comedy, just like I don't quite get the appeal of, say, Jimmy Carr or Jack Dee.

However, I think there's also something beyond mere diffeence in taste which so cajoles and irks a lot of people. Few things in light entertainment provoke such angry responses as a female comedian - Sarah Millican, Amy Schumer, Higgins, Deirdre O'Kane all get dog's abuse (admittedly, the last example is more understandable than others).

Yes I have heard of that before and it is something which is odd to say the least. I know next to nothing about comedians so can't even comment on the ones you mentioned. I just got a strong sense of "me me look at me aren't I great" off Maeve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I like Amy schumer and loved Joan rivers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

she sounds like a 14 year old air schoolgirl... grow up , i'd say she's the unfunniest comedian ever with an audience full of hipsters there because they feel they should be rather than actually finding her funny .

Fair play to her for making a career for herself but the repeated "Cool, yea" is very irritating ... she needs to extend her vocabulary somewhat.:cool:

However, I'd rather listen to her that the painful, but extremly well got, Diarmuid Gavin. Jesus, he's a massive pain the bum ... another very concerned environmentalist busy clocking up the air miles. :rolleyes:

Dawn French, victoria Wood ,Joan rivers , Theres plenty of great female comedians and plenty of ****e ones ,its just there aren't that many female comedians and when one or two of the crap ones are criticised the ultra - feminists get on their high horse and consider it complete misogny etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

she sounds like a 14 year old air schoolgirl... grow up , i'd say she's the unfunniest comedian ever with an audience full of hipsters there because they feel they should be rather than actually finding her funny .

She'd give an Aspro a headache.

Jennifer Saunders is another. They don't make them like they used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Jaysus, you wouldn't want to make a table quiz team out of today's guests would you.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Someone realised that Gavin was going to get RTÉ sued with his comment about Monsanto ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I find most comedians a bit tiresome to listen to in interviews (shoehorning stand-up material into a conversation rarely works), but I've always found Maeve Higgins excellent on stage. I genuinely think anyone who doesn't find her funny is just pretending to not find her funny because... I don't know... I'm the sort of utter imbecile who can't fathom why another person might dislike stuff that I like.

Dawn French, victoria Wood ,Joan rivers , Theres plenty of great female comedians and plenty of ****e ones ,its just there aren't that many female comedians and when one or two of the crap ones are criticised the ultra - feminists get on their high horse and consider it complete misogny etc. etc.
    Two of those comedians are dead, and one hasn't done much (if any) high-profile comedy in a decade.

What about all the current generation of female comedians on the scene? Amy Schumer, Sarah Silverman, Maeve Higgins, Tina Fey, Michelle Wolf, Sarah Millican -- do you seriously think they get the same kind of abuse as Jimmy Carr or Jimmy Kimmell, for making similar jokes (at times political)?

It's all very well reminiscing about the good old days and Phyllis Diller or Joan Rivers, but what female comedian -- currently active -- doesn't get a disproportionate amount of online abuse?

Jo Brand may be one exception, perhaps the one that breaks the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Comedians are not funny anymore. IMO, whatever the gender.

They try too hard I think to be pc and non pc and who fkn cares anymore. We have seen it all I think.

They try too hard I think to be pc and non pc and who fkn cares anymore. We have seen it all I think.
    Amy Schumer, PC? The last time I heard a joke of hers it was about mother-son incest.

Sarah Silverman is well known for abortion jokes.

Maeve Higgins has gotten in trouble in the past for making fun of service dogs.

A person isn't a SJW just because they think racism is A Bad Idea.

Lets face it, guys make these jokes all the time, as well as political jokes. The vitriol they get is pretty odd.

Amy Schumer, PC? The last time I heard a joke of hers it was about mother-son incest.

Sarah Silverman is well known for abortion jokes.

A person isn't a SJW just because they think racism is A Bad Idea.

Lets face it, guys make these jokes all the time, as well as political jokes. The vitriol they get is pretty odd.

They might'nt be PC, but clearly they're doing it in an un-funny way.... really get over that fact that the current crop of female comedians are not particularly good .. that does'nt mean alll female comedian were never or are never going to be any good forever ... so sensitive !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Maybe it's that real life has become so God dam farcical that it has out comedied the comedians :D

I remember an episode of Fraiser. Marty Crane had his dog Eddie in the cafe, and the waitress said to him "I'm sorry sir no dogs allowed". So Marty pretends to be blind (the inference being that Eddie is a service dog) and waitress apologies and walks away. So I would think that Maeve Higgins only offence is that she has stolen this joke, not that she has actually taken her dog on a plane under false pretenses.

However, having heard her on the show today, I think it might actually be a good idea for Maeve Higgins to have a service dog with her, so that the animal could stop her from talking the next time she feels that the nation needs to hear her "Ann and Barry" level synopsis of modern politics.

Good man Dermot, a man who was certainly on top of things in his department when he was Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Starting to suspect Marian is friends with Delaney. Very defensive of criticism panel are making about him

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

strawdog wrote: »
    Starting to suspect Marian is friends with Delaney. Very defensive of criticism panel are making about him

She can’t bring herself to criticize anyone from the golden circle. It’s like the mafia.

She can’t bring herself to criticize anyone from the golden circle. It’s like the mafia.

There you go lads, an old pal.

A Europhile? On RTE? Why, I never.

RTE must have a phone book full of bleeding hearts that they can ring up at the drop of a hat. What you call populist is people DEMOCRATICALLY voting for people to run their country. Why do RTE allow this point to be overlooked in deference to the opinions of these irrelevant, subjective people?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

There you go lads, an old pal.

At least she declared it afterwards (whatever prompted her to do so) but terribly unprofessional she couldn't at least feign to be neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Good man Dermot, a man who was certainly on top of things in his department when he was Minister.

Thanks Jeremy. Just got that feeling of nausea I get whenever I see that photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I like him but my word nevin McGuire spent the entire 20 mins or so promoting his hotel/restaurant

We do this In the restaurant, ppl love it...

This goes down so well in the restaurant...

We get loads of compliments when we serve this...

Fair play to ye nevin !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I like him but my word nevin McGuire spent the entire 20 mins or so promoting his hotel/restaurant

We do this In the restaurant, ppl love it...

This goes down so well in the restaurant...

We get loads of compliments when we serve this...

Fair play to ye nevin !!

Only heard a snippet of his contribution but he still managed to mention his wife Imelda, daughter Lucia and even his brother (in law)!!! Family mentionings are a huge turnoff for me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jaysus who’s the one giving the synopsis on the shows .

What a harsh nasal voice, Guantanamo Bay should use it as background noise.

Would have immediate effect I would suggest.

• Advertisement

Jaysus who’s the one giving the synopsis on the shows .

What a harsh nasal voice, Guantanamo Bay should use it as background noise.

Would have immediate effect I would suggest.

There should be a special place in hell reserved for people who pronounce "Television" as "Taaaaooowvision".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement