Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animals and birds you used to never see...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

appledrop wrote: »
    I would love to see an owl. The reason I'm saying about lack of rodents is because their was a brilliant bbc documentary about them. They will only live + nest in areas were they are plenty of rodents. They eat plenty of them so are a good alternative to poison if they stay.

True, but a lack of owls does not equate to a lack of rodents. Indeed more likely less owls = more rodents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I haven't noticed a decrease in Greenfinch over extra Goldfinch until this year (taking more notice because of the bird survey) what I do know is that Greenfinch seem to gather at the feeders later in the spring. (So I'm not giving up on them yet) There is a serious lack of dunnocks (tree sparrows) this year - and chaffinches are in very healthy proportions - so maybe it's just one bird species decline is another's rise? Spotted 1 tree sparrow this week - first since the count began.

Goldfinch are definitely a bird I see more now than years ago - I still remember seeing my first pair one warm summer day about 18 years ago and thinking they were some sort of exotic migrant. Beautiful birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Pretzill wrote: »
    ... There is a serious lack of dunnocks (tree sparrows) this year - and chaffinches are in very healthy proportions - so maybe it's just one bird species decline is another's rise? Spotted 1 tree sparrow this week - first since the count began.

Just for clarity; Dunnock used to be called Hedge Sparrows (although not sparrows) and the Tree Sparrow is a completely different, and much more scarce, species.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Spotted 2 Jays in the past few days, rarely see them, on the other hand while looking for a murmuration in west Cork in my car I came across a good few flies on the road near Rossmore, when did anyone here have to clean flies off their windscreens in the last 4 or 5 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

tricky D wrote: »
    Egrets
    Gannets
    Woodpecker about a decade ago.
    Bramblings and other assorted small birds.
    Lots of BoPs: Kes, Sprawk, Buzzards, Peregrines, and my first Owl a couple of weeks back.
    Odonata: Damsel and Dragonflies.
    Porpoises, Dolphins, Killers and Humpbacks.

On the flip, I haven't seen a Basking Shark in a few decades.

Competed in a sailing regatta a few years ago in Kinsale and I actually thought we were going to hit one we saw that many of them. We saw a sunfish too!!! Even have a video of it. We hadn't a notion what it was.

Some great advice on this thread on how to attract wildlife in to the garden. Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've seen a couple of barn owls, but only in the UK...
    I see loads of soaring birds of prey now... The smaller ones are usually by the side of the motorway... Coughs and egrets (coughs because I'm near the coast now)
    Red squirrels, not always but on and off,
    Don't see as many otters as I used to, but that probably just where I live now.. (supposed to be loads in Cork city but I haven't seen them in 7 or 8 years)

Unfortunately I only ever see dead hedgehogs...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

I remember I went to a field in Gormanstown on a report that there might be short eared owls that come from Scotland. That was about ten years ago and I did indeed find them. Went to live in Scotland and saw an abundance of Wildlife since. Been back in Ireland living in the midlands. Keep an eye out for all things wild but not much in the way of Raptors or Red Deer. Pity, In Scotland the Grampians present a haven for wildlife to roam and as a result Aberdeen City becomes a flood of wild animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Markcheese wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of barn owls, but only in the UK...
    I see loads of soaring birds of prey now... The smaller ones are usually by the side of the motorway... Coughs and egrets (coughs because I'm near the coast now)
    Red squirrels, not always but on and off,
    Don't see as many otters as I used to, but that probably just where I live now.. (supposed to be loads in Cork city but I haven't seen them in 7 or 8 years)

Unfortunately I only ever see dead hedgehogs...
    Red squirrel on the walk from the tennis village to the Lee road,plus a pair of jays

Spotted red squirrel,plus gold crests,all the finches,usual black birds ,thrushes,on the walk to the Lee fields, behind the tennis village,cork, hopefully a kingfisher b4 I get home,egret,,and a few cormorants spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

Get lots of greenfinches here in the south east, also saw my first yellowhammers last year! And lots of buzzards too.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    tricky D wrote: »
    Egrets
    Gannets
    Woodpecker about a decade ago.
    Bramblings and other assorted small birds.
    Lots of BoPs: Kes, Sprawk, Buzzards, Peregrines, and my first Owl a couple of weeks back.
    Odonata: Damsel and Dragonflies.
    Porpoises, Dolphins, Killers and Humpbacks.

On the flip, I haven't seen a Basking Shark in a few decades.

Competed in a sailing regatta a few years ago in Kinsale and I actually thought we were going to hit one we saw that many of them. We saw a sunfish too!!! Even have a video of it. We hadn't a notion what it was.

Some great advice on this thread on how to attract wildlife in to the garden. Thanks everyone.
    Sunfish lucky u

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I caught an Almaco jack a few years back, pretty unusual for these waters, see plenty of red squirrels most weeks and have noticed a few Jays coming around they don't come much closer than 40m to the house but are easily observable.
    Lots of Frogs as well, I try and keep a section of ground undisturbed with long grass and wild flowers in the summer and I think this aids them as it doesn't dry out as much as mown lawn.
    Plenty of mature trees around also helps with cover for larger animals, I found a sika fawn grazing the edge of the drive last year. I could walk up to within 2m of it and it didn't seem shy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sunfish lucky u

In your Atlantic playground only a kilometre from the shore.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I caught an Almaco jack a few years back, pretty unusual for these waters, see plenty of red squirrels most weeks and have noticed a few Jays coming around they don't come much closer than 40m to the house but are easily observable.
    Lots of Frogs as well, I try and keep a section of ground undisturbed with long grass and wild flowers in the summer and I think this aids them as it doesn't dry out as much as mown lawn.
    Plenty of mature trees around also helps with cover for larger animals, I found a sika fawn grazing the edge of the drive last year. I could walk up to within 2m of it and it didn't seem shy at all.

Such good practice, we don't have that much room, but leave a good few square metres of dead wood, overgrowth, wild flower, nettles and long grass but all it accommodates is insects the hope of a hedgehog. We're across the road from a big park with active badgers and plenty of fox. Then the Bull Island with a permanent sea colony. We were delighted to spot a buzzard last week up close in the park and there's otter tracks in the mud flats on the Bull Island. Had to google the Almaco jack, very interesting catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

appledrop wrote: »
    I would love to see an owl. The reason I'm saying about lack of rodents is because their was a brilliant bbc documentary about them. They will only live + nest in areas were they are plenty of rodents. They eat plenty of them so are a good alternative to poison if they stay.

Talking of owls, one night of the annual meteor showers (can't remember which one), around midnight I thought I'd see if I could glimpse anything out of an upstairs window. I was there for no more than thirty seconds or so peering intently when the window was suddenly full of wings as a large owl soundlessly took flight from the guttering just above. Scared the living nightlights out of me :eek:. I would have thought the house was too far into suburbia but obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

NCS wrote: »
    Talking of owls, one night of the annual meteor showers (can't remember which one), around midnight I thought I'd see if I could glimpse anything out of an upstairs window. I was there for no more than thirty seconds or so peering intently when the window was suddenly full of wings as a large owl soundlessly took flight from the guttering just above. Scared the living nightlights out of me :eek:. I would have thought the house was too far into suburbia but obviously not.

I see owls on the motorways every few months or so. There’s one that hunts the median of the M20/21 near Dooradoyle in Limerick. Thirty years ago, I had one in my garden every night, because my house bounded a cornfield and there were lots of field mice in it. Then came set-aside, and corn growing stopped, the owl population dropped. The corvids are rocketing, because farmers aren’t shooting them over corn. In one three mile stretch of the N21 at Coolanoran, there are five newly-established rookeries.
    My local rarities are blackcaps and long-tailed tits, very rarely see either. When I was a lad, egrets and rock doves were unknown. I have seen woodcock exhibiting strange behavior twice, running in circles on the road. I think they mistake roads for frozen rivers, if they arrive on migration on moonlit nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

ive seen a barn owl once while i was out fishing one night , it was near a train station so there was a bit of light and one flew over my head. It was an amazing sight. See buzzards/herons regularly, had a lapwing in my garden last year during the snow, i live in kildare so i say thats a rare sight. Weve millions of corvids where i live, i throw out a lot of food that doesnt get eaten and there'd be 20 of them in the garden ina few mins. Had a raven out the back one day its the only time ive ever seen one, man it was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

As mentioned previously, buzzards and egrets mainly

Otters in the Liffey in the middle of Dublin city centre was the one that amazed me the most

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Owls are hard to spot, they're mostly out after dark and are pretty silent in flight. When they are vocal, most people who have hard a barn owl probably didn't realise it was a barn owl as they screech rather than 'hoot'.

I never thought I'd get to see a wild Pine Martin, then one morning out of the blue one (a giant one!) ran across the road in front of me. I've seen 5 or 6 since, all east Meath area, but unfortunately all road kill, 3 or 4 on the M1.

I regularly see Egrets along the Boyne in Drogheda. Probably the most exotic, to me anyway, of our more recent residents.

Despite spending plenty of time along riverbanks I've only seen Kingfishers twice and on both occasions it was just a glimpse of blue as they darted out of sight.

Never seen a dipper or a jay :( My Brother swears he saw a spotted woodpecker in the garden one day (north county Dublin) but I'm not sure I believe him.

I usually try to get a week in Inishbofin once a year and it's a great spot to see birds you wouldn't normally see everyday, Corncrake, Ravens, Wheatear, Coughs, oh and the occasional basking shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Years ago pine martens were very rare - I used to go to the Burren to see them with the late and great John D. MacNamara. in the past twenty years they have increased their populations hugely, I've seen them around Abbeyleix and Adare. My local wildlife ranger in West Limerick has found their scats in the Sugarhill area.
    Dippers are very easy to see, surprised you haven't seen one - stand by any shallow river with big rocks and you should get lucky. I saw about five egrets from the Maigue bridge in Adare this morning on my way to work. The first one appeared there about ten years ago, probably from the colony in Tarbert. Kingfishers are easy enough too - as a boy I used to do a bit of fishing and if you spend time on a river like that you'll see them. They use the same fishing perch over and over. I've seen jays and woodpeckers in abundance at bird tables in Sussex and Kent but not so often here.
    Probably the rarest thing I've seen are whimbrels - a flock spent a winter on farmland behind my house a few years ago.

I took shelter under an ivy bush in a shower of rain years ago, and three barn owls flew out of it.

Watching a red squirrel today inchigaggin walk from inchigaggin bridge- Lee fields

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not so much a never seen as a never heard (in Ireland), the Cuckoo,
    I'd always thought I just hadn't recognised the sound, till I heard one once in Cornwall....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Had a boat for a few years back in mid 2000's and fished regularly out from Tramore on the south east. The amount of sea life back then was incredible. We saw Fin, Humpback and minke whales, Risso, Common and Bottlenose dolphins, Common porpoise, Blue sharks, sunfish (twice) and probably the most memorable, 20 to 30 basking shark feeding off Ardmore.

Sadly, talking to friends who still fish regularly, these are much rarer sights nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Seeing jays and Sparrowhawks in city garden in recent years never saw them before(in my garden)
    There is a couple of Oaks trees nearby that are starting to mature/get big I think the Jays are coming for that. I seen them with acorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

CJhaughey wrote:
    I caught an Almaco jack a few years back, pretty unusual for these waters, see plenty of red squirrels most weeks and have noticed a few Jays coming around they don't come much closer than 40m to the house but are easily observable. Lots of Frogs as well, I try and keep a section of ground undisturbed with long grass and wild flowers in the summer and I think this aids them as it doesn't dry out as much as mown lawn. Plenty of mature trees around also helps with cover for larger animals, I found a sika fawn grazing the edge of the drive last year. I could walk up to within 2m of it and it didn't seem shy at all.

Wow thats a catch to be proud of ! I'd say theres only yourself and maybe 1 or 2 others between Ireland and Britain that have caught an almaco. Love hearing of interesting catches like that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Uhhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

A rare half-male and half-female cardinal has been spotted here in Pennsylvania, USA and reported by National Geographic. Scientists are hopeful it will reproduce because it is female on the left side - and that is the side the ovaries are located.

dywatngvsaadfg8.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&w=634&h=379&crop=1

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Threads gone mad!

My thoughts, jays are apparently very shy birds and hide away in forests, I might see them 4 or 5 times a year, but one day recently I saw about 5 on the same walk. They get less fussy in autumn when they are panicking trying to stockpile food for the winter. And also in spring when nesting I guess. I seen a stoat a year or 2 ago. That was a good score. Kingfishers? So bloody small and so fast I know they are right in front of me sometimes but still can't see them. You need to have an hour to sit by a river. Goldfinches, getting fierce common now, but never seen them until recently. Never seen a sparrowhawk either but buzzards all over the shop now. They were extinct here when I was growing up. My cousin seen a dormouse last year, that's a major score, I've never seen one! Nature is great lads isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I used to see many white wagtails and swifts and all I see now is corvids.

emo72 wrote: »
    Threads gone mad!

My thoughts, jays are apparently very shy birds and hide away in forests, I might see them 4 or 5 times a year, but one day recently I saw about 5 on the same walk. They get less fussy in autumn when they are panicking trying to stockpile food for the winter. And also in spring when nesting I guess. I seen a stoat a year or 2 ago. That was a good score. Kingfishers? So bloody small and so fast I know they are right in front of me sometimes but still can't see them. You need to have an hour to sit by a river. Goldfinches, getting fierce common now, but never seen them until recently. Never seen a sparrowhawk either but buzzards all over the shop now. They were extinct here when I was growing up. My cousin seen a dormouse last year, that's a major score, I've never seen one! Nature is great lads isn't it?
    Ref kingfisher- need a quiet place by a clean stream, up early- patience needed- once one is spotted on a perch , remember it , always use the same 5/6 on a 2/3 k stretch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

Seen a few stoats recently. Hares are frequent visitors to our garden. The trail cam we have set up in the corner of the back garden has captured a pinemartin on a few occasions, and frequent visits from foxes.
    We have 6-7 bird feeders up and get a lot of birds. Including a pheasant that must be nearly considered a permanent resident at this stage as he is so frequently seen. He doesn't seem to mind us about the place either, which is nice of him...

Advertisement