Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Books for Children

• 06-12-2018 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to get some German language books for my nephew & niece who are 5 & 7 as a Christmas present.

One of their parents is from Germany and speaks the language to them. I don't think they do much reading of German as yet, so I was hopin to get them some English/German books to get them going.

Is there any recommendations for early introductions to German for kids that age who can speak but not really read the language?

Any ideas?

FM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi, can anyone help here - running late for Christmas delivery!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

To help me with learning German I found the Café in Berlin series excellent. ( https://www.amazon.com/Learn-German-Stories-Berlin-Beginners-ebook/dp/B00F33E3C0 ) I'd be unsure if there would be children focus though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

Hello,

I'm looking to get some German language books for my nephew & niece who are 5 & 7 as a Christmas present.

One of their parents is from Germany and speaks the language to them. I don't think they do much reading of German as yet, so I was hopin to get them some English/German books to get them going.

Is there any recommendations for early introductions to German for kids that age who can speak but not really read the language?

Any ideas?

FM.

This reply comes a bit too late from me but I have done some short research on German online book shops. In General speaking, it is rather a bit difficult to find such books like you would like to buy as a pesent for children of that age. There are dual language books in paperback published by the publisher 'deutscher taschenbuch verlag' - dtv.

Both website whose links I provide for you below are unfortunately in German, but you can have a look at the titles in English as well. I know these sort of books as I see them in lokal bookshops here in Germany.

The first link of that of the thalia.de online bookshop to give you a picture of what they have on offer, and the second is that of the dtv publisher where there is more on offer but the p&p to Ireland costs you more than the book itself (€12.50).

https://www.thalia.de/suche?utf8=%E2%9C%93&sq=englische%20kurzgeschichten&filterPATHROOT=2&filterPATHROOT/2=880&asn=true&asnlinkname=Kategorien_Fremdsprachige%20B%C3%BCcher

https://www.dtv.de/buecher-belletristik-zweisprachig/englisch/c-448

This might not be of much help and I have also tried to check on an Irish online bookshop website whether there is one of them by typing in the ISBN number, but it didn't match with the original title or even the author as well.

In fact, I know of no other publisher in Germany than dtv that publishes and distributes dual language books.

Advertisement