Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix sleep cycle?

• 05-12-2018 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

For quite a while now, I tend to wake up after about 6 hours of sleep. Once I do, the brain kicks into life and decides to contemplate the meaning of life and the universe and that time I fell over in front of everyone in primary school. Often I find it difficult to get back to sleep as a result - not helped by getting up to go to the bathroom or sometimes taking a drink of water.

I tend not to sleep now before 12 (and sometimes quite a bit after). Part of me feels that I'm going to be awake early anyways and that it's more awkward to get up and do things like laundry or entertainment at that hour than to stay up the night before. A stretch but I manage to justify it to myself...although an early gym session wouldn't be a bad start to the day!

So, a couple of questions - how do I make it more likely that I can sleep through the night. If I do wake, what are some good ways of getting back to sleep fairly quickly (or shutting down the brain when it starts trying to wind up) without it being like the night before Christmas when you're a kid (*stares at clock* I have to sleep - *ends up awake for 3 more hours*).

I imagine going to bed at an earlier hour would be a good start...

🤪

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    So, a couple of questions - how do I make it more likely that I can sleep through the night. If I do wake, what are some good ways of getting back to sleep fairly quickly (or shutting down the brain when it starts trying to wind up) without it being like the night before Christmas when you're a kid (*stares at clock* I have to sleep - *ends up awake for 3 more hours*).
    Read a novel, which works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Matthew Walker has a very good book on why we sleep.

There are a number of things you can do. Not looking at your phone for an hour or two before bed is a good start. Also, turn on blue light filter from sunset to sunrise. Most phones have it. Turn on "Do not disturb" for all but the most important notifications. You don't need them.

Another tip he gives is to read a book or something before bed. Looking at TV and stuff that makes you more angry/frightened/annoyed is a bad idea. It just raises cortisol level which is a stress hormone which impairs sleep.

Don't exercise or do anything strenuous close to bed time. Basically, make the few hours before bed time a time of relaxation. Try mindfulness, there are apps for it but try to not look at the phone after the session. Even just lying in bed, focus on your breathing, in-out, is helpful.

Don't drink alcohol close to bed time, it has a very damaging impact on your sleep.

Sex is also a very good sleep assistant! Wham bam thank you, roll over to sleep!!!!

Also, go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time, even at the weekend, is another great tip.

Advertisement