Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What VR headset?

• 20-11-2018 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have zero room for VR, but I heard that it is amazing for racing games. I do like racing games, I have a PC for VR (i7-7700K, GTX 1080Ti), and a wheel, etc.
    Should I buy an Oculus Rift without the controllers? Any other solution for "sitting down VR"?

Thanks for any advice.
    I'll be keeping an eye on prices this weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

I know some SIM racers who bought the Lenovo explorer from Amazon US recently and it's currently less than $200 including shipping and customs fees payed in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Headset-Windows-Reality-G0A20001WW-pc/dp/B0764L8YL7/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1542752478&sr=1-2&keywords=lenovo+explorer

The display is LCD not OLED so colours aren't as vibrant but the resolution is 1440p compared to only 1080p on the rift.

Also it uses the built in cameras for tracking the controllers which are in a more expensive bundle, so tracking is more limited, if you put the controllers behind your head they won't track or example.

A cool features is you can rotate the display forwards and upwards so you can look around the room without having to take the headset off.

I'll ask one of the SIM racers if he can add anything to what I said for you.

It's a really good budget option.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭thurlesdrunk

I recently picked up a lenovo explorer from Amazo US as Doge mentioned and can highly recommend it.
    I've used it mostly for Raceroom but also have run Assetto Corsa, Elite Dangerous and a few other titles, all working perfectly and clarity on the headset I found fantastic. My previous experience of VR would have been PSVR.

I did'nt bother ordering the pack with the hand remotes, just the headset as I also only plan to use it for "seated cockpit" games such as racing and flight sims.

Headset is very comfortable, and the ability to tilt the visor display up without taking it off is a godsend for a quick sip of tea (or beer).

Setup was quick and easy and runs flawlessly with Steam VR. The odd game you may need to download revive for it work with, such as Dirt Rally, but it works perfectly.

I was really on the fence with VR after my experience with PSVR, I found the immersion amazing, but the resolution and clarity killed it for me, and also did'nt feel well at all even after short sessions.
    I took a chance when I saw the great price for this headset and it really got me back into VR, and I've also never felt nauseous at all using it.
    For sim racing and flight sims it a great entry into VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Many thanks for the replies, sounds like a great option.
    Found a video on YT of someone playing American Truck Simulator with it, which is another game I wanted to try in VR.
    And at that price, definitely worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Doge wrote: »

Thanks for that Doge. I knew I’d end up buying something on Black Friday.

Bought this for my son for Chrimbo but I haven’t got a clue what it works with. When it says Window App does that mean it works off a phone/laptop/Samsung TV?

Plus, what games would you recommend to get with it. He’s 12 years old.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Doge. I knew I’d end up buying something on Black Friday.

Bought this for my son for Chrimbo but I haven’t got a clue what it works with. When it says Window App does that mean it works off a phone/laptop/Samsung TV?

Plus, what games would you recommend to get with it. He’s 12 years old.

I'm afraid you'll need to use a mid to high spec gaming PC or laptop with it.

It only works with games and apps on a Windows 7/8/10 PC.

I'm afraid you'll need to use a mid to high spec gaming PC or laptop with it.

It only works with games and apps on a Windows 7/8/10 PC.

An Xbox?

An Xbox?

Microsoft never bothered with VR for the current generation of consoles either unfortunately.

On the plus side you might be able to cancel your order or sell it off easily as the prices will go back up.

Sorry for the late reply, just got back online now.

Microsoft never bothered with VR for the current generation of consoles either unfortunately.

On the plus side you might be able to cancel your order or sell it off easily as the prices will go back up.

Sorry for the late reply, just got back online now.

Thanks Doge, will cancel. Appreciate your help.

Take a look at the Oculus Go instead, it doesn't need a PC. Good deal on it at the moment from the main Oculus site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The one issue with the Lenovo is it's got a very narrow sweet-spot. If it moves even slightly on your head, it's blurry and I find that very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I got the unit without controllers for 141 USD. Paid with Revolut, dispatched to our US office, should have it this weekend, when someone travels here with it.

I'm not sorry to have missed the offer you mentioned, as I definitely have no room for flailing my arms around with the controllers. I plan to use just the headset, and only for driving games.

Should I ever need to make a fool of myself, I can play on my son's Vive, if he ever leaves his bedroom when I am home :D

Not impressed with Lenovo (Digital River) customer service at all!

Placed order Friday night. Cancelled Saturday morning (order stated it would take 1-2 business days to process).

Got an email Monday morning stating that it may not be possible to cancel the order as it may have been dispatched. Then nothing since.

Stinks! :(

Edit: Just emailed them chasing response and lo and behold I get an email stating they couldn’t cancel my order and it has been dispatched.

Really, really stinks! :mad:

Sorry to hear that. They were bombarded with buyers from HotUKDeals that probably stressed the system but it's really no excuse.

I had to return a Moto G5S to Amazon recently due to quality control issues at Lenovo, kept rebooting and had signs of use on the back of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ValdasANS

HTC vive the only way to go. I run VR arcade in newbridge and its what we use

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It was discussed in this thread... the OP might get more ideas from that too

Advertisement