Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't figure this out

Options
  • 11-11-2018 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Hoping someone can help with this.
    An running a kids wheelchair basketball team and am trying to give each child a near enough equal time on court.

3 wheelchair players on court at a time,
    7 wheelchair players to pick from,
    2 halves of play 7 minutes long.

Wheelchair players are allowed to bring siblings or friends with them to play.

2 able bodied players can play in a wheelchair at any time (5 players on court per team)
    5 able bodied players to pick from

Was just going to split it between able bodied and wheelchair as I think it gets too complicated otherwise. Any help with this would be great as I keep getting lost along the way with the maths.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Hi,
    If you have 7 kids to choose 3 at a time from, there are 7*6*5 / (3* 2 * 1) or 35 ways to pick them.
    Each kid will be in 15 of these above subsets. (Basically, if you put one kid aside, then you can pick 2 from 6 to be his team mates, or in this case 6*5 / (2*1)).

So, given that there are 14 minutes of play, then each kid in a wheelchair can get 14 / 35 * 15 or 6 minutes of play.

Here's a sample set of times that would work (assuming that changing a player over will require the game to be paused)
    Players 1-7 are down the table, game minutes are across.
    	1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8	9
    1	x	x			x	x			x
    2		x	x			x	x		
    3			x	x			x	x	
    4	x	x			x	x			x
    5			x				x		
    6				x				x	x
    7	x			x	x			x	

10	11	12	13	14
    1	x				
    2	x	x			
    3		x	x		
    4	x				
    5		x	x	x	x
    6			x	x	x
    7				x	x

Edit : I had to split the table into two blocks, otherwise the data wrapped around and made things confusing.

For the 5 able-bodied kids, there are 5*4/(2*1) or 10 ways to pick them. Each kid will be in 4 of those subsets, so picking two at a time using the same logic leads to 14 / 10 * 4 or 5.6 minutes of game time.

I'm a bit tight for time at the moment, but if I get a chance after lunch I'll try to do something similar. I'll proabably round the able-bodied kids' time to 5 minutes each to make it a bit easier.

For the able-bodied kids (three of them get 6 mins and the other two get 5, it's still reasonably fair!).
    1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8	9
    1	x	x				x	x		
    2		x	x				x	x	
    3			x	x				x	x
    4				x	x				x
    5	x				x	x			

10	11	12	13	14
    1		x	x		
    2			x	x	
    3				x	x
    4	x				x
    5	x	x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Well fair play, the way I was doing it was nothing like that.
    The kids travel a fair bit to get to the games, so I was just trying to give them all a fair amount of time each on court.
    Thanks for taking the time to put this together, greatly appreciated, even if I don't fully understand it 😀

No bother, it's only a suggested list but it fits the criteria of giving each child an equal amount of time (while mixing up who they're playing with etc).

The maths I used is called combinatorics.
    Basically, in this case, we need to choose 3 kids from a group of 7. For the first kid, we have 7 choices, the second kid we have 6 and for the 3rd kid we have 5 choices so we have 7*6*5 or 210 combinations of choosing 3 from 7. But we're not quite done yet - when we pick the 3 it doesn't matter if we pick Alfred, Brendan or Charlie first, or Charlie then Alfred then Brendan. There are 6 ways to order the three kids, so we divide the 210 by 6 to come up with 35 as the number of different ways we can pick 3 kids from 7.

Advertisement