Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ASTI ballot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭acequion

trebormurf wrote: »
    Didn’t most NQTs take the short term view to join the TUI in recent years to get quicker CIDs? Is it possible, that once again they’ve adopted the short term view - to be a couple of quid better off every week, we’ll agree to inequality in the profession forever? Unions are dead, Me Feinism is alive & well methinks.

Have to agree,unfortunately.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭acequion

You're right. I'm not an expert on the subject. So it was an 53% of post 2011that voted yes?

You said 'they're screwing themselves by accepting crumbs'. So it was an NQT vote was it. Not all teachers that voted??

Because a pre 2011 teacher voting yes won't damage their pay. They won't be getting crumbs.

The members of TUI have a history of throwing in the towel and voting for whatever goes because that's what the leadership of that union want them to do. So they scaremonger them into accepting useless offers.

if you'd been following this thread from the start you'd have seen that many pre 2011 teachers from that union post here and are all No people. And all the anecdotal evidence suggests that this vote was carried by post 2011 teachers as they're the ones who will gain.And ditto for the members of the other two teacher unions. Pre 2011 have nothing to gain by voting yes,have been around for longer and are still very angry at all the cuts. That said, there are also plenty of pre 2011 happy to vote for all this crap because they just don't want to fight.

But the idea that the post 2011 people resent the pre 2011 people is a myth. They may well be jealous and resentful at the system that caused the divide but only the most obtuse would blame their older collegues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I've worked between both etb & vol sectors for yrs and have always been ASTI. I was in a dual union school when ASTI were striking a couple of yrs ago and strongly urged at the time to jump ship if I wanted to be kept on as all the mgt team had previously moved from ASTI to TUI which I thought was disgraceful. I'm so disappointed TUI have sold us out again today. I'm just in from an open night at my local etb school. scheduled to finish at 9.30 but still going strong when I left at 10.30. I honestly can't see how they expect to out before 11.15/20. Almost 2 hrs of an overrun. deliberately done as they knew how long it'd take. I was thinking coming home the poor f****ers are they getting screwed on CP hrs - officially being put down as 3 hrs but in reality its 5? Well you know what folks? You've consistently voted to agree to the worsening of terms & conditions which ultimately have affected all teachers. And you reap what you sow. My daughter has always said she'd love to be a teacher but I cannot in good faith recommend it to her. I'll be activately encourgaging her to look at other careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Anyone got any idea what time should we expect some news from the INTO today???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

3 guesses what the result will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

This evening according to Twitter....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

judeboy101 wrote: »
    3 guesses what the result will be
    I feel it's bound to be accepted if TUI was 53%/47%, INTO are usually the least militant of all the unions, but still can't help but hold out that little glimmer of hope.

It's a pity that INTO are least likely to vote NO, because at the end of the day, them striking for a few days would bring the whole thing to a head a lot faster. Nobody really cares if teens have a day or two off, but if parents have to take time off to mind children talks might actually move on at pace.

In a way it's immaterial what INTO does too, the only helpful result would have been to get all 3 unions on the one page and go from there, but no, TUI exec didn't bother their arses doing what they were mandated to do.

Any theories as to the lack of anything from the INTO today?

Any theories as to the lack of anything from the INTO today?

50/50?? What u reckon? I'd say around 7ish if we're lucky.

Think it must be very very close and full recount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

INTO must be spinning something

INTO reject 53% to 47%. Finally there is some hope. Now let us ASTI reject and form a joint strategy of Industrial Action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Brilliant news! Just as long as they don't go back into 'talks'..!!

Icsics wrote:
    Brilliant news! Just as long as they don't go back into 'talks'..!!

There will be a fudge from our union. Suspect ASTI will vote along TUI lines and INTO CEC don't want us going alone as Sheila steps full-time into her big new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sir123 wrote: »
    INTO reject 53% to 47%. Finally there is some hope. Now let us ASTI reject and form a joint strategy of Industrial Action.

Very interesting. I wonder how Sheila Nunan will react. Probably call for reflection and enter talks immediately to get something ... anything.

I thought all unions agreed not to take action unless all 3 rejected pssa.Did I dream that?

Pity TUI 3rd level got promised some sweeties during the summer.

Fair play INTO, absolutely thrilled for them for being brave enough to stand up.

Making me more and more disgusted with TUI.

Very interesting.

I thought all unions agreed not to take action unless all 3 rejected pssa.Did I dream that?

Pity TUI 3rd level got promised some sweeties during the summer.

Ya.. That seemed to be what had been agreed at convention by all three unions. However, we've only one that has rejected now and I hope ASTI will do the same. It would be nice for both unions to strike together if they have both rejected.

The next few weeks will definitely be interesting. I wonder what will happen at INTO CEC next week. Do they already have a strike mandate or will they have to re-ballot?

The worst they could do is go into talks again that produce the same jargon. It's industrial action or nothing now in my mind.

I wonder what will happen at INTO CEC next week. Do they already have a strike mandate or will they have to re-ballot?

From IT piece:
    “The central executive committee (CEC) will meet next week to consider the result of the ballot and decide how best to proceed including a ballot for industrial action.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/primary-school-teachers-reject-government-pay-proposals-1.3680926

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

I wonder what will happen at INTO CEC next week. Do they already have a strike mandate or will they have to re-ballot?

I understand that under INTO rules, a two-thirds majority in a further ballot is required for industrial action.

I understand that under INTO rules, a two-thirds majority in a further ballot is required for industrial action.

Ya that's the thing... let's hope it's recommended by their CEC and delivers. I'm very glad they've rejected this insult.

• Advertisement

Are INTO CEC bound now by various Congress motions to recommend a yes vote for industrial action if it goes to a vote? Don't think it will get that far as no appetite and doubt a 2/3 majority is achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm in shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

INTO CEC pushed hard for a yes vote behind the scenes. 55% turnout on the vote. Contrary to BS on this thread, the no vote was pushed by long serving union members. LPTs were split based on whether they benefitted or not.

Despite this vote there are scary times ahead for INTO. Three appalling candidates running for Gen Sec, including the utterly incompetent, lily livered conservative, John Boyle, the current President.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

There will be a fudge from our union. Suspect ASTI will vote along TUI lines and INTO CEC don't want us going alone as Sheila steps full-time into her big new job.

There's not a single reason for the ASTI to accept the deal while the INTO are discussing whether to strike or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

INTO CEC pushed hard for a yes vote behind the scenes. 55% turnout on the vote. Contrary to BS on this thread, the no vote was pushed by long serving union members. LPTs were split based on whether they benefitted or not.

Despite this vote there are scary times ahead for INTO. Three appalling candidates running for Gen Sec, including the utterly incompetent, lily livered conservative, John Boyle, the current President.

ASTI CEC pushing for a yes as well.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    ASTI CEC pushing for a yes as well.

Might not anymore.

Below is the main text of a briefing email issued by one of the INTO CEC Reps. They are almost certainly in a panic now and are utterly unprepared for today's result:

• 14 public service unions are already signed up to PSSA incl nurses and Gardai. Only the 3 teacher unions are still outside as we have an issue with pay inequality for entrants after 2010.
    • As a result of negotiations pay equality has been restored to 98%. These restorations and now in PSSA. It is not a full and final settlement and the INTO hopes to claw back the remaining restoration in the next round of pay talks due to start in late 2019
    • Everyone is affected by PSSA not just new entrants. There are pay uplifts for all including the 1% received on the 1st October, pension parity, CIDs after 2 years.
    • If there is a no vote INTO will immediately ballot for strike action after Halloween.
    • I there is a no to strike action by the membership the negotiating power of INTO will be severely diminished.
    • A yes to strike action means there will be a long and sustained campaign of strike action. This will be to get back into talks to resolve pay equality. (We may be the only union on strike). We would be trying to bring forward talks that are already scheduled for late 2019.
    • Strike action repudiates the agreement which means that all the pay uplifts on offer for new entrants, pay increases for all members, increment freezes until 2020 for all, CIDS etc are lost and we go back to the start with negotiations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Below is the main text of a briefing email issued by one of the INTO CEC Reps. They are almost certainly in a panic now and are utterly unprepared for today's result:

• 14 public service unions are already signed up to PSSA incl nurses and Gardai. Only the 3 teacher unions are still outside as we have an issue with pay inequality for entrants after 2010.
    • As a result of negotiations pay equality has been restored to 98%. These restorations and now in PSSA. It is not a full and final settlement and the INTO hopes to claw back the remaining restoration in the next round of pay talks due to start in late 2019
    • Everyone is affected by PSSA not just new entrants. There are pay uplifts for all including the 1% received on the 1st October, pension parity, CIDs after 2 years.
    • If there is a no vote INTO will immediately ballot for strike action after Halloween.
    • I there is a no to strike action by the membership the negotiating power of INTO will be severely diminished.
    • A yes to strike action means there will be a long and sustained campaign of strike action. This will be to get back into talks to resolve pay equality. (We may be the only union on strike). We would be trying to bring forward talks that are already scheduled for late 2019.
    • Strike action repudiates the agreement which means that all the pay uplifts on offer for new entrants, pay increases for all members, increment freezes until 2020 for all, CIDS etc are lost and we go back to the start with negotiations.

Does that mean no croke park hours?

Does that mean no croke park hours?

Who knows? She certainly doesn't - that email was designed to shore up a Yes vote and the consequences of No haven't been planned for.

• Advertisement

They can't take CIDs from people who already have them, that's scaremongering.

Advertisement