Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issue at dog track - need opinion...

• 06-10-2018 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions on the following:

Was at the dogs last night, work event.

Had a winner in the first race and was up EUR120 - happy days. Asked the girl taking bets what the price was when I was placing bets and the response was nonsense "it changes all the time".

Fair enough I said but I need to know the price. So she told me that whatever price is on the board out in the middle of there track when the race starts is the price you get.

Couple of second places but in the last race I decided to put EUR20 on a 20/1 as advertised on the board when the race started. The dog romped home and I'm looking forward to getting my EUR400 winnings. Complete luck, I have no idea about dogs.

Girl comes back with EUR67. Says the price was 3.4 when the race started and the board out in the middle of the track is broken.

I called the manager and she repeated the same - board was broken, they had issues with it all night apparently. I asked why you didn't announce this over the tannoy, no response. Asked why didn't you turn off the board, no response.

I was told if I wanted to take it further I could lodge a complaint (which I did).

My colleagues witnessed all of this and we're as furious as I was.

If they don't pay up I'm going to consider taking this to the small claims court.

Seems completely ridiculous to operate in such an unprofessional manner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Thammer

I'd say you're screwed if the odds are not in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

Keyzer wrote: »

Had a winner in the first race and was up EUR120 - happy days. Asked the girl taking bets what the price was when I was placing bets and the response was nonsense "it changes all the time".

Fair enough I said but I need to know the price. So she told me that whatever price is on the board out in the middle of there track when the race starts is the price you get.

Couple of second places but in the last race I decided to put EUR20 on a 20/1 as advertised on the board when the race started. The dog romped home and I'm looking forward to getting my EUR400 winnings. Complete luck, I have no idea about dogs.

Girl comes back with EUR67. Says the price was 3.4 when the race started and the board out in the middle of the track is broken.

I called the manager and she repeated the same - board was broken, they had issues with it all night apparently. I asked why you didn't announce this over the tannoy, no response. Asked why didn't you turn off the board, no response.

I was told if I wanted to take it further I could lodge a complaint (which I did).

If they don't pay up I'm going to consider taking this to the small claims court.

The price is based on a pool. The price of each runner is determined by the amount of money placed on it all the way up to the off. What you see on the boards at the off is always going to be close but can change if money is placed late.
    Nobody was trying to cheat you. There are plenty of examples where you can get more than indicated on the board

What track was this? The odds would have been on the TV screens too. I’ve had to complain at one track about the board in the middle of the track showing different odds from the tv screens. They didn’t seem too bothered about this until I demanded to see the general manager, not the tote one, when they then turned the board off. Agree that it was totally unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

What track was this? The odds would have been on the TV screens too. I’ve had to complain at one track about the board in the middle of the track showing different odds from the tv screens. They didn’t seem too bothered about this until I demanded to see the general manager, not the tote one, when they then turned the board off. Agree that it was totally unprofessional.

Shelbourne.

Its BS if you ask me - the majority of the people in our party hadn't a clue about betting. I know very little myself. Its a nonsense, they should have the odds on the docket when you place the bet.

I asked them to find my docket, impossible they said, it couldn't be found.

I'm going to push them to pay out, I badger the crap out of them.

Panrich wrote: »
    The price is based on a pool. The price of each runner is determined by the amount of money placed on it all the way up to the off. What you see on the boards at the off is always going to be close but can change if money is placed late.
    Nobody was trying to cheat you. There are plenty of examples where you can get more than indicated on the board

Fair enough. But being there for a fun night out, the general punter hasn't a clue about any of this stuff.

I can only go on what I'm told by the staff member who took my bet. The price on the board, which is what I was advised to work off, is the price I was expecting.

Not my fault the board wasn't working, which I had no awareness of, although it seemed to be working fine up to that race.

I have photos of the board before and after the race plus a photo of the complaint form and the managers name - I'll take it up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Tote betting works from a pool, its shyte.

If you want the stated price, go outside to the real bookies and place your bets there.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Tote betting is always tricky/sh1tty. I got burned at dogs and horses a few times years back.
    The excuse is always that there was late money so the pool getting smaller.
    I think it's a scam by tote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Shelbourne.

Its BS if you ask me - the majority of the people in our party hadn't a clue about betting. I know very little myself. Its a nonsense, they should have the odds on the docket when you place the bet.

You could've went to any of the bookies lined up against the rail and they would've given you the odds on the docket.

Badger away you'll not be getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

At Shellbourne anyway you only get the SP, which surprised me when I was there.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    At Shellbourne anyway you only get the SP, which surprised me when I was there.

You only get sp if you go to the tote, the same in every greyhound and horse racing venue in ireland.

• Advertisement

Shelbourne.

As already explained, Tote betting is a pool. Your dividend depends on how many and how much was bet on that race. Badgering them will do you no good. Only the bookies can give you a fixed price. They then HAVE to pay you at that price plus your stake.

It’s important for the party organiser to understand how betting works and to explain it to the rest of the group.

Don’t let this put you off going to the dogs again. It’s a great night out.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    You only get sp if you go to the tote, the same in every greyhound and horse racing venue in ireland.

SP is what the bookies return for the betting shops. Tote is completely different.

SP is what the bookies return for the betting shops. Tote is completely different.

Im using terminology that the general public will understand rather than use terms such as dividend.

As already explained, Tote betting is a pool. Your dividend depends on how many and how much was bet on that race. Badgering them will do you no good. Only the bookies can give you a fixed price. They then HAVE to pay you at that price plus your stake.

It’s important for the party organiser to understand how betting works and to explain it to the rest of the group.

That's fine but when I asked the girl taking bets she didn't tell us this - her exact words were look out the window and whatever odds are on the board are the odds you get.

So Shelbourne need to invest in some training for their employee's and in a new odd's board.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

the tote odds are normally on the tv screens aswell - and they do fluctuate

on sat night in shelbourne you get decent pools and decent trio pools

early tote odds can be very misleading as the owner of dog in trap 4 could put 20 pound on it leading to it having a short price - but when all the other bets come in it could be 4 or 5/1

the tote can be good at times and other times the bookies are better

some of the part time workers might not have the greatest Knowledge

i remember a night a long while back there was only a few pounds/euro in the pool on a cold Monday in longford

all of a sudden someone had put 100 to win on trap 2 - there lead to a lot of bets on other dogs in the race knowing they would get a great price

american dog racing runs on totepools only a few years ago im sure it still goes on thousands would appear on dogs in races near to the close of betting , needless to say the other dogs got bet then to take advantage

Limerick on Saturday night had a problem with their tote board. They did get it fixed by race 3. Not all screens are legible due to black lines through them! There doesn’t seem to be the will to fix them! Broken boards/screens should be noticed before racing and either fixed or turned off. Many race goers, like the OP only look at big odds board.

Those of us who go racing regularly know what to look out for and when the board is not working!

My favorite bet is the trio. One decent one will pay for the night out.

tote boards tvs etc are low on prority - ive had to switch over tvs etc at tracks - turn up volumes etc

there was a biggish trio pot in mullingar one night half fancied the 2 dog from a better draw than he had for a while - announcer says no sign on the 2 in trios

so went and had a 20euro banker trio - ie 2 , field , field = 20 bets

2 wins - only 1 winner 257euro back

so it can work out better at times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I came to this forum to post a simpliar question.

I opened an account with the Tote last week as we are looking at buying a greyhound and I thought it would be a handy way to get a bet on.

There have been a few other cases, but tonight takes the piss...I had 20 euro on Trap 6 in the 20.32 (I think Tralee) and it was 6/1 as the digs entered the traps. Just at the off it went, in one move, to 1/2.
    The SP returned 8/1 on Bet365.
    I never realized I could move a market in a JP-esque way with a 20 euro wager.

I closed my account, I think it’s an absolute joke.

that was sis racing- it was live into the bookies and the bookies bet to 135% ish
    if that race was run saturday night you would get no bets on at bet365 or anywhere else and the sp would have been 5/2 id say

the igb tote is great for betting to get to watch a race there were probably not a lot there on a sunday night if u bet 20 on sat night it wouldnt make that much of a change , anyone there tonight would be betting the bigger bookies prices as there not normally there

open up your account again to use for the ordinary non sis racing

Nowso wrote: »
    that was sis racing- it was live into the bookies and the bookies bet to 135% ish
    if that race was run saturday night you would get no bets on at bet365 or anywhere else and the sp would have been 5/2 id say

the igb tote is great for betting to get to watch a race there were probably not a lot there on a sunday night if u bet 20 on sat night it wouldnt make that much of a change , anyone there tonight would be betting the bigger bookies prices as there not normally there

open up your account again to use for the ordinary non sis racing

As Nowso said.
    Greyhound racing and betting on those races is a fun night out. It’s also handy to keep track of dogs and their form.
    You could do a lot worse than follow Nowso on his various social media outlets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

You were ripped off by a euro too.
    Should have got 68 back.

As Nowso said.
    Greyhound racing and betting on those races is a fun night out. It’s also handy to keep track of dogs and their form.
    You could do a lot worse than follow Nowso on his various social media outlets.

Should be doing More here tbh

tends to work out better for discussion , but to much of the public views have been effected negtive stuff of one sort of another and has put me off posting stuff up here

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Its not the girls fault , the tote employees should have been told it was broke, as maryanne said, don't let it put you off ,greyhound racing is a great pastime, maybe you and your work collegues should look at buying a greyhound, 10 people at e80 a head would buy a nice pup and all going well you should have your own dog running in your local track in around 16 months after buying.
    Great times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Just to clarify they are not legally obliged to pay out - its considered a "gentlemans bet" and there is no legal comeback if the bookie reneges.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Don't know where you are getting that from Brian, bookies have to pay you out and if there is a problem you can refer to independent board to ensure payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭droidman123

Don't know where you are getting that from Brian, bookies have to pay you out and if there is a problem you can refer to independent board to ensure payment.

What brian said is correct,there is no legal comeback for a bookie to pay out a winning bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Not true. Again it's considered a gentlemans bet . As to where Im getting it - for example.
    section 4.4. of the following link explains.
    https://iclg.com/practice-areas/gambling-laws-and-regulations/ireland

Advertisement