Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula E - Gen.2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well, watching that was a modicum of tediousness thanks to VM Sport buying the rights so the online streams are geoblocked 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

One thing I took from yesterday's race is the noticeable difference in torque acceleration out of the corners compared to last year's car.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Great race btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So last evening I was having dinner and pondering to watch something, when I remembered I haven't watched the latest Formula E race yet.

I went to Youtube, Official Formula E channel, found the race..."This content is not available in your country".

Huge mistake for Formula E - they are still pretty much IRRELEVANT in the eyes of the wider audience; By curbing access like this, they seriously risk to stunt their own development and even doom the series altogether.

Where did we see this already? Ah right, Bernie & C. utterly overestimating the weight of Formula 1 in the eyes of the casual viewer, failing to understand how it's something most people discovered because it was on television on Sunday at lunchtime and believing everybody would rush to get Sky to watch it. If Formula 1, with nearly a century of history, has lost huge chunks of audience and, consequentially, sponsors from from this move...what are the hopes for something just starting off?

• Advertisement

Sky has it on a channel called free sports where you can schedule it, but yes really bad form.
    On the other hand they are swimming in sponsorship money, the amount of sponsors I have never seen in F1 was astounding.

Harika wrote: »
    Sky has it on a channel called free sports where you can schedule it, but yes really bad form.
    On the other hand they are swimming in sponsorship money, the amount of sponsors I have never seen in F1 was astounding.

That's because it's the "new shiny thing" and there's been a lot of talk about it; Hide Formula E from the general public's eyes, and the interest will soon fade away. I don't know how they don't realize it's a ridiculously bad move.

I've had a handful of friends and co-workers coming to me in the past - "Hey you're into motorsports...I was watching TV and this weird F1 race but with electric cars came on, what the hell is that about?". This can be no more now.

Good points but some of my thoughts.
    One of the sponsors is Magna, never heard of? For you and me, very unlikely we will be in contact with them. They are assembling cars and providing automobile parts for the global automotive industry. So big that in 2010 when Opel was in trouble they were bidding for it. They are not there for us to be seen, but to meet the executives of all the brands involved BMW, Audi, jaguar... Recently they got the contract to build the new jaguar I-pace. Contacts are everything for them, especially in such a growth area.
    And for the TV access, do you remember lmp and how they were praised for their TV / Internet coverage? Well it's now a Toyota single championship none really cares any more. So while annoying to have not 24/7 access, I don't see this as stumbling block except if it totally disappeared behind a sky pay wall. Euros port and BBC red button show it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

So while annoying to have not 24/7 access, I don't see this as stumbling block except if it totally disappeared behind a sky pay wall. Euros port and BBC red button show it live.

It’s definitely a stumbling block in my opinion. It’s a fledgling sport, appealing to a younger audience...most of whom spend their days with their head buried in a phone. It wholeheartedly absolutely should be freely available on YouTube. The amount of people cutting the tv chord these days is significant, Eurosport requires an additional premium sports package, and the red button requires a sat dish. They’ve made a huge mistake at this very early stage imo.

Good points but some of my thoughts.
    One of the sponsors is Magna, never heard of? For you and me, very unlikely we will be in contact with them. They are assembling cars and providing automobile parts for the global automotive industry. So big that in 2010 when Opel was in trouble they were bidding for it. They are not there for us to be seen, but to meet the executives of all the brands involved BMW, Audi, jaguar... Recently they got the contract to build the new jaguar I-pace. Contacts are everything for them, especially in such a growth area.
    And for the TV access, do you remember lmp and how they were praised for their TV / Internet coverage? Well it's now a Toyota single championship none really cares any more. So while annoying to have not 24/7 access, I don't see this as stumbling block except if it totally disappeared behind a sky pay wall. Euros port and BBC red button show it live.

Something like LMP is never going to attract the general public; You and me might be interested, but almost nobody will watch a race spanning multiple hours. There's a reason why all the big spectator sports feature events that last between 1 and 2 hours - heck, even Formula 1 falls into it.

Formula E's goal is, other than technological progress, to show the general public that electric cars aren't necessarily sh1tty boring white goods and can be as "romantic" and exciting as combustion engined ones. It's a very powerful tool at that and it has been succeeding - it got even car enthusiasts talking about EVs in different tones than the boring rubbish normally spat out by millennial tree-huggers suffering from selective blindness.

If it fails, a lot of the "business synergies" forged in it will be moot. In these regards, as a second decade of the 21st century product, "old style" TV coverage ain't even the main problem for Formula E - presence and accessibility on the internet is, in order to reach a younger audience; Geofencing a nearly one week old video of a full race in order to protect the commercial rights of a TV network is daft at best...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,095 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It unblocks after a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    So last evening I was having dinner and pondering to watch something, when I remembered I haven't watched the latest Formula E race yet.

I went to Youtube, Official Formula E channel, found the race..."This content is not available in your country".

Huge mistake for Formula E - they are still pretty much IRRELEVANT in the eyes of the wider audience; By curbing access like this, they seriously risk to stunt their own development and even doom the series altogether.

Where did we see this already? Ah right, Bernie & C. utterly overestimating the weight of Formula 1 in the eyes of the casual viewer, failing to understand how it's something most people discovered because it was on television on Sunday at lunchtime and believing everybody would rush to get Sky to watch it. If Formula 1, with nearly a century of history, has lost huge chunks of audience and, consequentially, sponsors from from this move...what are the hopes for something just starting off?

The first full race of the season was freely available on You-Tube so I do not see why this one would not be. As another poster said it unlocks after a week so maybe it only happens after a week is gone by and they unlock it then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,095 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

AMKC wrote: »
    The first full race of the season was freely available on You-Tube so I do not see why this one would not be. As another poster said it unlocks after a week so maybe it only happens after a week is gone by and they unlock it then.

Considering they probably want to use viewing figures as a means of showing growth to attract sponsors blocking it for a week is thick. I'd imagine a good few watched it through "other" means already.

I does unblock after a week indeed - I watched the race on Saturday. It's still and incredibly stupid strategy; The series is nowhere near established enough to allow itself such luxury.

Again, Formula 1 lost a big chunk of audience with the pay tv move (and no, one-team "domination" has nothing to do with it - people still watched in 1988, 1992 and 2002-2004), it should serve as a lesson for Formula E.

Don't forget there's the Santiago race on in Chile today. Check out Virgin Media or BT Sports 3.

Last year JEV and his teammate got stuck together under braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

astrofluff wrote: »
    Check out Virgin Media or BT Sports 3.

rip being able to watch on a non-premium channel this year

How about BBC Red Button? Got that at all?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/43634915
    18:30-20:30, Formula E - Chile, BBC Red Button, Connected TV and online

• Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Not Chile in Chile.

Let's see if Wherlein loses it, then loses his cool too. He has a habit of that... :D

Great race again, everything in it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, lots to watch all the way through. Fair play to Wherlein, I like to give him a hard time but he's beginning to mature!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Any idea where to watch the race - the one we record which was advertised as this weekend’s race actually showed last week’s race.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Any idea where to watch the race - the one we record which was advertised as this weekend’s race actually showed last week’s race.

If you have VM they repeat it about 10 times every 2 weeks!

antodeco wrote: »

VM - Virgin media? No we don’t have that. Have sky.

antodeco wrote: »

VM - Virgin media? No we don’t have that. Have sky.

Eurosport had it live and on w there was a one hour summary later. If you search in sky for it, you find reruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

If you have sky try Freesports, I think they have a repeat tomorrow

Thanks Harika - the highlights should do the trick.

Thanks Skipper - we had recorded on free sports but it showed the last race instead of today’s one as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was actually last months race. I noticed that too. Quest do have highlights of the race too. Think they have it on again in the morning. That's how I watched it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

AMKC wrote: »
    That was actually last months race. I noticed that too. Quest do have highlights of the race too. Think they have it on again in the morning. That's how I watched it.

Yep that's where I watched it this evening. For all the messing around with the channels, the racing was actually pretty good

Advertisement