Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fly tippers left evidence

• 09-09-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I've come across a bad case of fly tipping, about 10 black bags of mostly nappies,baby formula tin cans etc, on the base of a cliff just above the tide line. It's dumped in one of the most scenic places I know not that there's a better or worse place to fly tip but it's really peaved me off. Myself and a friend went through it and found a child's copy book with the child's name written in it a few times and some family members. With little investigation I've found the culprits. Do I, A. Phone the cops/Council and waste a chance of getting these degenerates, B. Name and shame somehow on Facebook anonymously , or C gather all the waste and dump it into their car some night.
    Some ideas please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Macdarack wrote: »
    Hello all, I've come across a bad case of fly tipping, about 10 black bags of mostly nappies,baby formula tin cans etc, on the base of a cliff just above the tide line. It's dumped in one of the most scenic places I know not that there's a better or worse place to fly tip but it's really peaved me off. Myself and a friend went through it and found a child's copy book with the child's name written in it a few times and some family members. With little investigation I've found the culprits. Do I, A. Phone the cops/Council and waste a chance of getting these degenerates, B. Name and shame somehow on Facebook anonymously , or C gather all the waste and dump it into their car some night.
    Some ideas please.

I'd say run with option C and get back to us and let us know how things went.

What could possibly go wrong?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Council , don't move it though. Leave it where is it with the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Some ideas please.

I would tell the cops but I understand your concern that there would be no follow up. You could get into trouble for doing the other two options. Perhaps a photo of the rubbish at the scenic location could go on Facebook or here to help overcome complacency.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Anonymous on Facebook. Ha.

Anyway, the most efficient answer is a.
    Totally rooting for c though.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

Call the local council enforcement officer. Its their job to investigate and gather evidence for a prosecution. Most are eager and the evidence that you have stated is just what they are looking for. Garda wont want to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Oink wrote: »
    Anonymous on Facebook. Ha.

Totally rooting for c though.

Anonymous on Facebook,open new account and then make friends with local groups with big member numbers and let rip.

Council , don't move it though. Leave it where is it with the evidence.

The council may not get involved as it could be a safety issue getting to the area of the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Take pictures, of everything, and ring council, send pictures to council, and is there a tidy towns in the town nearby, send pictures on to them also

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Dump a load of excrement in the fly tippers car with a note saying you found their fly tipping.

I would tell the cops but I understand your concern that there would be no follow up. You could get into trouble for doing the other two options. Perhaps a photo of the rubbish at the scenic location could go on Facebook or here to help overcome complacency.

You don't have to mention of Facebook, who the culprit is, just with a picture of the rubbish on the cliff on fbook, say, you know who did it, and see if they fess up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

bbbaldy wrote: »
    Call the local council enforcement officer. Its their job to investigate and gather evidence for a prosecution. Most are eager and the evidence that you have stated is just what they are looking for. Garda wont want to know.

I don't know about that, we rang the council a month ago about a double mattress + loads of bags full of rubbish left on the roadside near our house out in the sticks. Council rang back the next day and said they knew where it was and would be out to investigate. 5 weeks later it's still sitting there.

Either they are too busy or it's not their most pressing concern.

goat2 wrote: »
    You don't have to mention of Facebook, who the culprit is, just with a picture of the rubbish on the cliff on fbook, say, you know who did it, and see if they fess up

This crowd are rough and I'd be leaving myself open to reprisals.

This crowd are rough and I'd be leaving myself open to reprisals.

I understand, then the Council is the place to go, but have pictures also, the culprits will do it again and again if it is not stopped

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I don't know about that, we rang the council a month ago about a double mattress + loads of bags full of rubbish left on the roadside near our house out in the sticks. Council rang back the next day and said they knew where it was and would be out to investigate. 5 weeks later it's still sitting there.

I’d get on to my local councillor and there would be results. Then again mine is not useless, YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

At work We brought similar evidence to the litter warden and they said because they weren’t called to retrieve the evidence in place that nothing could be done.

It’s very frustrating, like these people get every conceivable protection and continue to treat the environment like their own rubbish tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Oink wrote: »

Just how many people actually get prosecuted for fly tipping like this? And of those few, how many actually pay the fine??

We need as a society to find a better way of dealing with anti social behaviour like this - law that is applied in full and with meaningful consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Evidence left in the dump may not belong to those that did the dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Dump it in their garden. The council are a waste of space. Usually only a €120 fine that’s even if the litter warden bothers. From my experience, the warden will find some excuse not to fine them. When it started to happen in our estate, a number of residents would drive up with their rubbish and spread it around their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Dump it in the litter wardens garden.

That'll soften his cough.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Dump it in their garden. The council are a waste of space. Usually only a €120 fine that’s even if the litter warden bothers. From my experience, the warden will find some excuse not to fine them. When it started to happen in our estate, a number of residents would drive up with their rubbish and spread it around their garden.

I know someone that did just that, dumping it back in the garden of the litter louts, and while they were doing it, a family member of the litter louts was quietly in the house taking pictures of it being dumped in garden, the people that dumped it in the garden got a call from the guards that evening and had to remove said waste from litter louts garden, that is one backfire I know of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Same problem here. Been going on for years. When you’d report dumping, after a few weeks, you’d get a reply that it has been investigated and it will be removed. But the warden would never open the bags to look in and residents would end up having to move it to the main road to get it taken away.
    The council put in a new public bin at the entrance to our estate in May and we are still waiting for it to be emptied. Keep saying it’s on the schedule but never bloody do it. I assume it’s because some council worker will have to get a pay rise due to the increase in their workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Call the council and let them deal with it. Not your issue and not yours to take further in terms of what happens to those who dumped it.

Dump it in the litter wardens garden.

That'll soften his cough.

And drop a turd there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

B

Then C

It's looking like option B I'd say. Facebook shame.

Would you have to become Facebook friends with them first?

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Would you have to become Facebook friends with them first?

I'd send them a private message first, tell them to tidy or else, hopefully they'll do it and shame the cunce anyway. There must be a way to expose them to a few hundred people.

Don’t online bully them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Council put up a no dumping sign near here, few weeks later its surrounded by rubbish lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Leave half the bags as evidence and ring the council. Fook the other half in their Garden. Piss through their letterbox if you really want to teach them a lesson.

Advertisement