Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible new Weather Related Find

• 13-08-2018 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭

Have been looking at a mark in a field as in the attachment, and cannot decide definitively if it is a major earthwork, or just a field boundary mark.
    (Circular marking in the lower left of center field, below the eye shaped enclosure)
    Personally I think it is too large and too circular for a boundary marker.

Anyone any opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Have been looking at a mark in a field as in the attachment, and cannot decide definitively if it is a major earthwork, or just a field boundary mark.
    (Circular marking in the lower left of center field, below the eye shaped enclosure)
    Personally I think it is too large and too circular for a boundary marker.

Anyone any opinions?

Looks promising. There is a subcircular enclosing crop mark in the field to the west too (assuming north is top of picture). Pass it on to Monuments, and let them decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

I have seen lots of vague sites, but NMS understandably won't classify a monument unless it is reasonably obvious/distinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ov3ddr4hjk5s01f/IMG_0885.JPG?dl=0IMG_0885.JPG?dl=0

On a related note I’ve noticed some crop marks in a field near me on the latest google maps imagery is this anything of significance? From a quick google a Bronze Age barrow is a possibility. Any opinions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

macgabhs wrote: »
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ov3ddr4hjk5s01f/IMG_0885.JPG?dl=0IMG_0885.JPG?dl=0

On a related note I’ve noticed some crop marks in a field near me on the latest google maps imagery is this anything of significance? From a quick google a Bronze Age barrow is a possibility. Any opinions?

An enclosure or ring ditch with two probable barrows. Very clear. Have you checked the monuments viewer to see if they have been recorded previously?

slowburner wrote: »
    An enclosure or ring ditch with two probable barrows. Very clear. Have you checked the monuments viewer to see if they have been recorded previously?

Had a look at the viewer there is a listing for circular crop marks identified in aerial photographs from 1970. How common are these sort of things?

• Advertisement

There are tens of thousands of ring barrows nationwide (Limerick has 905, for example) but clusters like this are less common.

Thanks for that very interesting to know something like this is so close to me. Any implications for landowners where there are found?

Every national monument is protected by law. There is also a zone of notification that extends for some distance outside the monument. This means that the landowner must by law, notify the authorities in advance of any works that could affect the monument. See here

478020.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

slowburner wrote: »
    Every national monument is protected by law. There is also a zone of notification that extends for some distance outside the monument. This means that the landowner must by law, notify the authorities in advance of any works that could affect the monument. See here

478020.png

Have found another 3 since the Straffan find.

Advertisement