Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recycling & Waste Disposal - arrgh!

• 15-03-2018 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

So spent this evening taking out recyclables from the black bin, cleaned, dried, & flattened them for the recycling bin. Housemates for ya :/ (though at least they don't put soiled pizza boxes into recycling).

I've made a pdf on how to split waste accordingly into general, compost, & recycling for them especially (we never had any info provided here from the landlord). Looking at recycling info online, it didn't take long to realise the amount of ambiguity there is on the consensus of what's defined as recyclable and what isn't (thanks to privatisation of recycling and waste disposal I spose, we've diff companies with conflicting info on what goes into what - Why can't they all be the same?) It's no wonder we don't dispose of waste properly here, along with the lackadaisical attitude towards recycling. Maybe I'm just an uptight bint.

Another thing is what can't be put into your bin goes to your recycling centre (eg. polystrene). Forget about it if you don't have a car as in most cases these are inaccessible, being out in the countryside. And then some centres don't accept certain items as well so there's that, as well as alot of them only open when people are working and closed on the weekend & lunch time during the weekday.

The info for the recycling company we use has shoddy info and emailing them, they haven't gotten to me when I emailed on Monday. Same with county council, along with conflicting info on the Repak website, and very very vague info from recyclinglistireland.ie. They give vague descriptions (eg. saying rigid plastics....not all companies accept 5 PP plastic AFAIK...). Is it 1(PET), 2(HDPE) & 5(PP) that are recyclable, or is it 1, 2, & 4(LDPE)? I'm tempted to just say 1, 2, 4, & 5 are recyclable plastics, but is it?
    The new recycling list website just simply says you can recycle paper & cardboard, cans & rigid plastics along with pictures. What about composite packaging? A pringles tube has a plastic lid, cardboard tube and a metal bottom, and envelopes with the plastic film window, shouldn't all those things be separated at the household level?

So it's gas that the most helpful website for this is a UK one, recyclenow.com, but they have some diff recycling rules to ones here so can't take it all for gold.

Other things I didn't realise until recently;
    - The green dot doesn't necessarily mean that something is recyclable
    - Blue glass can go into green glass recycling
    - Pink & red glass isn't recyclable
    etc.

So what do ye make of this rant?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think there should be another bin for the waste for the incinerator that does not go into the green or brown bin. Stuff like cling film and contaminated pizza boxes and the like. Otherwise such waste goes in the black bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm in need of a rant. Our complex with shared bins recently got canteen bins, i.e. food waste. I was the only one using it since it was introduced 6 months ago, and had just about filled it to the top last week (hadn't been collected yet). I'd been meticulous about it, going through our own caddy to remove any waste that shouldn't have gone in there, and buying pricy enough compostable bags to keep it tidy.

This week someone tipped a load of takeaway containers half filled with food, disposable cutlery, and packaging in over the top of it contaminating the lot (well I'm not about to go picking out someone elses waste from among a load of 6 month old food). Why should I bother any more? The same with the recycling bin but I've grown to accept that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This is the first post that comes close to what i am looking for.I find it bizarre that the vast majority of food you buy today will have a wrapper on it of some kind that will outlive you by 100's of years.

Generations will look back at ours and realise that we have lived disgracefully the last 30 years or so. You do what you van but walking around any large supermarket and 95% of all food wrappers are not recyclable and have been created to be used once is so short sighted and fundamentally wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The philosophy for sustainability is:

1: Refuse - don't use it in the first place.
    2: Reuse - rinse and return -like milk bottles were.
    3: Recycle - use the raw material for a further product.
    4: Refuse - not the same as the first item - send to landfill or burn.

If we had more of the first one, we would be better off.

Single use plastic bottles gets me. How did we manage when we had to drink water from the kitchen tap?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

chite wrote: »
    So spent this evening taking out recyclables from the black bin, cleaned, dried, & flattened them for the recycling bin. Housemates for ya :/ (though at least they don't put soiled pizza boxes into recycling).

I've made a pdf on how to split waste accordingly into general, compost, & recycling for them especially (we never had any info provided here from the landlord). Looking at recycling info online, it didn't take long to realise the amount of ambiguity there is on the consensus of what's defined as recyclable and what isn't (thanks to privatisation of recycling and waste disposal I spose, we've diff companies with conflicting info on what goes into what - Why can't they all be the same?) It's no wonder we don't dispose of waste properly here, along with the lackadaisical attitude towards recycling. Maybe I'm just an uptight bint.

Another thing is what can't be put into your bin goes to your recycling centre (eg. polystrene). Forget about it if you don't have a car as in most cases these are inaccessible, being out in the countryside. And then some centres don't accept certain items as well so there's that, as well as alot of them only open when people are working and closed on the weekend & lunch time during the weekday.
    After over hearing my house mates making talking about my, much milder, comment on the recycling, I'd be weary of doing so again. However, they're students. I do my own recycling independently. One of the fcukers put a pack of sausages (that weren't opened) into the compost. Was does he be thinking. I had to tell him, but I must of hurt his feelings.

We live in an estate where recyclables are taken every second Monday. The lads just put general waste into both bins. Does the bin service in your area not cater for recycling?

• Advertisement

And then some centres don't accept certain items as well so there's that, as well as a lot of them only open when people are working and closed on the weekend & lunch time during the weekday.
    Seeing as you're uptight, you may as well learn a few spelling mistakes!

The info for the recycling company we use has shoddy info and emailing them, they haven't gotten to me when I emailed on Monday. Same with county council, along with conflicting info on the Repak website, and very very vague info from recyclinglistireland.ie. They give vague descriptions (eg. saying rigid plastics....not all companies accept 5 PP plastic AFAIK...). Is it 1(PET), 2(HDPE) & 5(PP) that are recyclable, or is it 1, 2, & 4(LDPE)? I'm tempted to just say 1, 2, 4, & 5 are recyclable plastics, but is it?
    The new recycling list website just simply says you can recycle paper & cardboard, cans & rigid plastics along with pictures. What about composite packaging? A pringles tube has a plastic lid, cardboard tube and a metal bottom, and envelopes with the plastic film window, shouldn't all those things be separated at the household level?
    What do the green party be doing?

Mod:
    @Resverathrole
    Please treat other posters with respect. Spelling is not always easy for some - particularly if using a phone with autocorrect.

4: Refuse - not the same as the first item - send to landfill or burn.
    I don't get it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Seeing as you're uptight, you may as well learn a few spelling mistakes!

Why would anyone want to learn mistakes?

• Advertisement

I don't get it?

There are two pronunciations for the word REFUSE.

The first is when you say no - you refuse.

The second is the contents of a rubbish bin - it is refuse.

[Hint for a spelling expert - the first is a verb, the second is a noun].

Mod note - do not comment on thread to a mod instruction - use the PM function.

There are two pronunciations for the word REFUSE.

The first is when you say no - you refuse.

The second is the contents of a rubbish bin - it is refuse.

[Hint for a spelling expert - the first is a verb, the second is a noun].

Mod note - do not comment on thread to a mod instruction - use the PM function.
    Oh I get it now.

Advertisement