Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Might be going the same way in 2018

It's already the same way, Stroll is the new Maldonado. Okay he doesn't crash as much but he is every bit the pay driver, 1.1 seconds slower than a retiring Massa in his last quali.

Unless Paddy Lowe manages to produce a Merc clone chassis to bring Williams up a level next year they are likely to be heading towards the back of the field anyway. Their decent form has been due to the dominance of the Merc engine, as the Ferrari and Renault has improved the weakness of the Williams car has really shown.

With McLaren getting shot of the clown-car engine, Renault improving, FI just being consistently better all round, Sauber having some FIAT group cash and no longer using year-old engines Williams could well be struggling to score points next season without the help of first corner crashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

skipper_G wrote: »
    Daily Mail isn't getting a click out of me :D
    :pac::pac::pac:
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    It's already the same way, Stroll is the new Maldonado. Okay he doesn't crash as much but he is every bit the pay driver, 1.1 seconds slower than a retiring Massa in his last quali.

Unless Paddy Lowe manages to produce a Merc clone chassis to bring Williams up a level next year they are likely to be heading towards the back of the field anyway. Their decent form has been due to the dominance of the Merc engine, as the Ferrari and Renault has improved the weakness of the Williams car has really shown.

With McLaren getting shot of the clown-car engine, Renault improving, FI just being consistently better all round, Sauber having some FIAT group cash and no longer using year-old engines Williams could well be struggling to score points next season without the help of first corner crashes.

A double helping so based on the Daily Mail article. Sirotkin has major backers.

I hope Kubica is picked over him though,to have 2 drivers in a team with only 1 season between them wouldn't be a smart move for the reasons you have outlined above.

Stroll shouldn't be in F1, but Daddy's bank balance told Frank and Claire Williams otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I think that's a bit harsh on Stroll, yeah he wasn't ready for F1 this year but Williams took the chance anyway. In the end he's done okay, had a couple of good performances, his qualifying generally wasn't great, I think he outqualified Massa twice. But with the first season out of the way and extra experience he should get better next season.

I think that's a bit harsh on Stroll, yeah he wasn't ready for F1 this year but Williams took the chance anyway. In the end he's done okay, had a couple of good performances, his qualifying generally wasn't great, I think he outqualified Massa twice. But with the first season out of the way and extra experience he should get better next season.

Harsh yes but not far off at the same time.

The podium finish was as a result of Vettel and Hamilton dropping down the field due to separate issues.

Let’s hope he does better in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The issue from numerous articles is the pace over one lap - but Kubica was ahead of Sirotkin in the pecking order at Renault so I don't understand the sudden hype about been faster in one afternoon.

The Mark Hughes article does highlight the complications of focussing on single runs BUT one thing that is not in doubt is Kubicas fitness.

As it stands Kubica and Stroll appears the best line up Williams can get - but is weak when compared to their closest rivals eg Perez/Ocon at Force India - ironically its Strolls weaknesses that could cause Kubica to lose out on the drive as Williams need a driver who can get them into Q3 consistantly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Looking forward to seeing Alfa and Leclerc.

Soon find out how the halo experiment goes. No doubt there will be a few drivers complaining about it throughout the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

http://www.rachf1.com/news/robert-kubica-unsigned-by-williams-for-2018

You can read what you want into it. Could be a glitch or proof.

Harika wrote: »
    http://www.rachf1.com/news/robert-kubica-unsigned-by-williams-for-2018

You can read what you want into it. Could be a glitch or proof.

Basically he has secured the licence if as reported the restrictions on green & red lights is strictly adhered to.

Just spotted that Kubica turns 33 tomorrow.

Will there be a birthday surprise in store i wonder?

• Advertisement

Basically he has secured the licence if as reported the restrictions on green & red lights is strictly adhered to.

There have been some very misleading reports especially imho in the UK media - the exiting the car and lack of a super licence issues where all reported as show stoppers but all have been dealt with.

Speed over a single qualifying lap is seen as a potential issue but Mark Hughes article explains that issue.

Infoanon wrote: »
    There have been some very misleading reports especially imho in the UK media - the exiting the car and lack of a super licence issues where all reported as show stoppers but all have been dealt with.

Speed over a single qualifying lap is seen as a potential issue but Mark Hughes article explains that issue.

The worst thing is some sap throws up an opinion piece which is then regurgitated by click bait perpetrators as fact. And people end up not knowing anything more than they did before they started reading them. I have stopped reading anything Kubica related until I see an official announcement from Williams directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Infoanon wrote: »

When the internet picked up that Robert was running the red light, I remember reading a comment stating that since Robert has previously held a superlicense, he only needed to have a briefing and run an up-to-date spec car for a certain distance as part of an official FiA sanctioned event (such as a race weekend, or official testing). With Robert having done mammoth distances in the Renault and subsequently the Williams, he supposedly far exceeded this distance requirement. Hence the red light.

Although I am very much a secondhand source for this (aka, read a comment someone posted somewhere on the internet which sounded legit), so please take with a grain of salt! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hopefully for next year Renault will have a more reliable and powerful engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Schorpio wrote: »
    With Robert having done mammoth distances in the Renault and subsequently the Williams, he supposedly far exceeded this distance requirement. Hence the red light.

Could also be as Sirotkin was running too, that they missed to switch the lights. :pac:

Honda have made some changes to their F1 program leadership, Hasegawa is gone
    http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11159865/honda-in-f1-overhaul-after-mclaren-split-boss-yusuke-hasegawa-axed

And I read on Joe Saward's blog that Maserati is being mentioned alongside Haas for a similar branding deal to Sauber & Alfa. Not sure I see the logic in that for Haas, a move like that might result in less exposure for his company from the F1 project, which was one of his primary reasons for pursuing it in the first place.

Honda have made some changes to their F1 program leadership, Hasegawa is gone
    http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11159865/honda-in-f1-overhaul-after-mclaren-split-boss-yusuke-hasegawa-axed

And I read on Joe Saward's blog that Maserati is being mentioned alongside Haas for a similar branding deal to Sauber & Alfa. Not sure I see the logic in that for Haas, a move like that might result in less exposure for his company from the F1 project, which was one of his primary reasons for pursuing it in the first place.

I do recall Haas saying a few sponsors would be nice to have - but apparently money is not an issue ? - the Maserati link would appear to be two fold - give Ferrari more power at the negotiating table (Sauber & Haas) would vote with Ferrari and a longer term plan to sell off Maserati, a higher value should result from the F1 exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

And I read on Joe Saward's blog that Maserati is being mentioned alongside Haas for a similar branding deal to Sauber & Alfa.

Ferrari, Alfa and Maserati all back competing again?
    It'll be like 1950's era returning, when those classic brands were once at the pinnacle of motorsport.

(Yes, I know its only branding for the latter two, but still...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

A 3 of each engine component limit has been confirmed for 2018 before grid penalty, or, as they say in Japanese "Saturday".

Quite simply making a bad problem worse. I'm all for limits, or it'll be an engine a race job, but if 4 was too far, what good will 3 do?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-no-going-back-three-engine-rule-986349/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Carmen Jorda has been announced as the FIAs Women Commission.

What a throughly stupid appointment.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Gintonious wrote: »
    Williams have denied this today, thats kinda odd.

I wonder is it all a decoy with a Kubica deal going on behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think Kubica has it.
    Maybe not finalised but I'm sure if his speed was not there, they would have put an end to this circus by now for everyones sake.
    So imo he has it bar straightening out a few paperwork issues.
    It would seem he had a real chance at Renault until sainz became an option. To be fair, it was then a no brainer to take sainz consider they are a full factory outfit actively building for the future.
    Williams are a different proposition. Firstly they need the older driver but would also welcome the publicity and everything else that comes with the kubica comeback.

mickdw wrote: »
    I think Kubica has it.
    Maybe not finalised but I'm sure if his speed was not there, they would have put an end to this circus by now for everyones sake.
    So imo he has it bar straightening out a few paperwork issues.
    It would seem he had a real chance at Renault until sainz became an option. To be fair, it was then a no brainer to take sainz consider they are a full factory outfit actively building for the future.
    Williams are a different proposition. Firstly they need the older driver but would also welcome the publicity and everything else that comes with the kubica comeback.

I genuinely hope he gets the drive, as do most of Poland and beyond.

Sainz is a potential long term candidate for Renault if they can do a deal with Red Bull for him.

If Kubica comes back it’ll be for 3 seasons at best given he is now 33.

Williams stand to make huge financial gains from the publicity he would generate.

I wouldn’t be surprised if martini pushed for it also, because as title sponsor they would get more tv coverage than they could probably dream of.

The decision for Renault not to continue was quick and fast, this being as slow as it is benefits nobody really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I genuinely hope he gets the drive

We know. ;)

Vic_08 wrote: »
    We know. ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

They have to weigh up ability, guaranteed money, or the possibility that brands will want to be involved with the miracle comeback story.

Obviously the Sirotkin offer does make the muddy waters even more so, but it's not all over for Kubica yet.

• Advertisement

How much influence will Putin and Russia have since Kvyat is gone though?

Advertisement