Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RNLI / Saving lives at sea / BBC series ...

• 29-08-2017 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Just watched an episode of 'Saving lives at Sea' on BBC2.

What a wonderful series/episode, with stories from several lifeboat stations in Britain & Ireland. The RNLI Lifeboat station in Castletownbere (West Cork) featured in tonight's episode. Highly recommended for anyone with a love of the sea. Sadly we can't look up previous episodes here in the ROI as the iPlayer is available to UK residents only, so hopefully the Beeb will show repeats on TV at some point in the future ....

Another episode at 8pm this day next week I presume.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yes great programme, previous episode showed two from Kinsale, the Astrid which went aground on the Soverigns Rocks, and the other one was the trawler with 3 Portegese crew. You can see clips of that rescue during flashbacks in the show. The trawler is registered in Skibbereen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tuesday!

. . . another episode tonight @8pm BBC2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Its Tuesday!

. . . another episode tonight @8pm BBC2.

Maritimers enjoy.
    I'll let your timers remind you from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,057 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just catching up on this now, watched first 2 episodes today, great show, love the actual footage of each incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SV214

Are they available anywhere except the bbc player? Can't find them

• Advertisement
    M

SV214 wrote: »
    Are they available anywhere except the bbc player? Can't find them

Not legally, a prison ship lies waiting in the bay ;)

M

Just a heads up for anyone who missed this first time around it is being reshown starting Tuesday 6th March on BBC2 at 7pm and each weekday after.

M

This is back for a 3rd series, first episode was yesterday, it's on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8pm on BBC2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Enjoyed seeing some familiar faces last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I wonder if this series covers the R116 crash?

• Advertisement

No chance. Nothing to do with RNLI and not the type of subject matter for these kinds of programs/formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There is an episode, maybe old, on Rte two now.

Oh and another thing - ban those dinghys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

tricky D wrote: »
    No chance. Nothing to do with RNLI and not the type of subject matter for these kinds of programs/formats.

I was hoping not tbh. Was just wondering

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

On watching the one with the young girl in the water for over an hour waiting on the helicopter it got me thinking could they use the warm water from the pee hole on the outboard to keep her warm a bit like they use warm water in gold divers, it would be easy to connect a little hose or a device to direct the water over a person in the water or boat raising their temperature by a few degrees even one or two could make a difference.

Was at the Howth RNLI open day today and among the people been given the tour was the girl who got rescued in the episode and her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Dunmore East lifeboat crew features on tonight's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was tonight's episode a repeat?

I didn't recognise any of the recent ones, but I'm sure I remember that Scottish couple with their bonkers (in a gorgeous way!) accents and the fact that it was his fishing boat that he went to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I didn't recognise any of the recent ones, but I'm sure I remember that Scottish couple with their bonkers (in a gorgeous way!) accents and the fact that it was his fishing boat that he went to help.
    Yep, thought the same, also your man on the kyack.

M

Yes Ocean Way was on it before, as was the guys stuck under the bridge in Weston Super Mayer (SP?).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Repeat yesterday, nothing next week, back the week after. Feck knows why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Next week is about Storm Opehelia

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Next week is about Storm Opehelia

I wonder will they have the shout Clogher Head RNLB had to make to the 2 idiots out kite surfing that day? I know they didn't need rescuing in the end, but when the lifeboat was tasked, a lot of folks lives were put in danger.

Rosslare also had to rescue a yacht didn't they? In fact they had to rescue the same boat twice during the same storm if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The blurb mentions a Rosslare shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

The blurb mentions a Rosslare shout.

was a surfer swept out to sea on new years day in a rip tide & westerly wind

M

New series back tonight at 8pm on BBC2.

M

Repeated 5pm Saturday for anyone who missed it.

Advertisement