Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservation Ranger

• 21-11-2016 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm inquiring about the conservation ranger job up on PublicJobs? I'd be extremely interested in this job as I've always been crazy about wildlife, national geographic etc and learning as much as I can about wildlife.

Now the essential criteria noted for the job is a good level of education, and general fitness and administration skills. Now, the desirable criteria is experience in this area and a relevant degree. I don't have a relevant degree or experience but I am interested in this type of work.

I'm just wondering is it worth applying or is it the case that when they say desirable they really mean that they are unlikely to take you on if you don't have a background or experience in that area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I equally like you would love a job like that. to be honest the actual job has probably been promised to an in-house employee. I have experience and relevant education and have always applied for these kind of jobs only to subsequently find out an employee of the same employer has been chosen. Only advertised for legal reasons i believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

cd07 wrote: »
    I equally like you would love a job like that. to be honest the actual job has probably been promised to an in-house employee. I have experience and relevant education and have always applied for these kind of jobs only to subsequently find out an employee of the same employer has been chosen. Only advertised for legal reasons i believe

You know, I figured as much. As far as I know they have to advertise it even if someone else has already pretty much gotten it. It's pretty frustrating, especially for you I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I know but thats Ireland for ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

You know, I figured as much. As far as I know they have to advertise it even if someone else has already pretty much gotten it. It's pretty frustrating, especially for you I'd imagine.

I wouldn't be dissuaded from applying by speculation like this if I were you - as far as I am aware, a number of the ranger posts have been vacant for some time. It may be that they are getting around to filling some or all of them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Without getting into specifics, these jobs are open competition and worth applying for if that's what you want to do. The speculation here, to be quite frank, is just that speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hasn't the ranger count been at a low point for a while now? i heard there's only two rangers for the whole county of wicklow at the moment - people better informed than me might know if there's truth in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Wrapped up in the "Heritage" Bill trying to be passed at the minute...
    A further serious concern has emerged in recent days, one on which there was no consultation with NPWS staff. The Heritage Bill 2016 proposes to repeal a paragraph of the Wildlife Act which provides protection from assault, to an authorised person or a member of the Garda Síochána exercising any power or function conferred on the authorised person or member by or under the Wildlife Acts, 1976 and 2000. The section provides protection and a deterrent against assault to NPWS rangers who are often working on their own in isolated areas of the country and confronting criminals. The proposed removal of the section has been expressed by members of the rangers’ union as an issue of grave concern. It suggests a serious lack of support of the Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, for NPWS rangers in their capacity to exercise their powers when necessary.

http://www.antaisce.org/articles/credibility-of-the-heritage-bill-called-further-into-question

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That looks like a pretty odd thing to do, but what actual protection did the paragraph offer? Would repealing it mean that someone assaulting a ranger in the future would get a lighter sentence or something? If so, that's not really much practical help in the field if confronted by an angry poacher or whatever.

Would they be more likely to hire men for these positions too? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Would they be more likely to hire men for these positions too? :)

No. Equal opportunity position and there are/were female officers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

By the looks of the wages it's a lot of work for little money with very little gains. Same wages for a long time. Only benefits are a retirement fund and after ten years a wage increase. I've applied anyway.

Lack of a driving licence put me out of the race. Oh well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Lack of a driving licence put me out of the race. Oh well :)

Afaik the reason for that is because you will be required to drive from time to time in their jeeps and may end up taking it home aswell. So to cover insurance you need a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Everyone else get the mail requesting supplementary application due to the high volumes of applications ?

The link won't open for me to get into it. I know my flash is up to date as opened first application.

Anyone else having same issue ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Everyone else get the mail requesting supplementary application due to the high volumes of applications ?

The link won't open for me to get into it. I know my flash is up to date as opened first application.

Anyone else having same issue ?

Rather than opening it in the browser, just download the pdf and open it from your computer instead - should work!

That did the trick. Thanks

Anybody got further feedback since the second set of questions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Anybody got further feedback since the second set of questions ?

how many jobs are there?

how many jobs are there?

I have no idea they never stated how many.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭JKerova1

Any further feedback on this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭weadick

I think if this thread was moved to Work and Jobs it might get a bit more attention?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭yoppy

weadick wrote: »
    I think if this thread was moved to Work and Jobs it might get a bit more attention?

Thread there before this one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057669563&page=2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

weadick wrote: »

There's a thread there and in the Hunting forum. Given that it's a job dealing with conservation issues I think it's relevant to have a thread here (as well as in the other forums).

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

There's a thread there and in the Hunting forum. Given that it's a job dealing with conservation issues I think it's relevant to have a thread here (as well as in the other forums).

Absolutely, I was banned from the hunting forum two years ago just for debating the legalities of some of the members methods of hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Hi

Can anyone actually tell me what is involved in the daily work of a ranger?

Are you doing much manual work or are you just overseeing things?

How much paperwork on a weekly basis?

Would you have much driving to do?

I see from other threads that you are rostered 24/7. Surely you are given a shift allowance to work those hours as it is a public service job afterall?

Thanks

Joe222 wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone actually tell me what is involved in the daily work of a ranger?

Are you doing much manual work or are you just overseeing things?

How much paperwork on a weekly basis?

Would you have much driving to do?

I see from other threads that you are rostered 24/7. Surely you are given a shift allowance to work those hours as it is a public service job afterall?

Thanks

I think over the course of a year it can be quite varied tbh, but there certainly would be a good deal of paperwork on a weekly basis for sure.

Driving too is likely to be a regular feature to each end of your area, and sometimes you can be based in an office that isn't in your area (though it's likely to be quite near to one end of it). I'm not sure what you mean about manual work, but there would be a lot of outdoor work, and depending on where your area is it could be quite demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

I think over the course of a year it can be quite varied tbh, but there certainly would be a good deal of paperwork on a weekly basis for sure.

Driving too is likely to be a regular feature to each end of your area, and sometimes you can be based in an office that isn't in your area (though it's likely to be quite near to one end of it). I'm not sure what you mean about manual work, but there would be a lot of outdoor work, and depending on where your area is it could be quite demanding.

Ok thanks.

By manual I mean physical work like digging drains with shovels, lifting heavy items from place to place, climbing trees, using chainsaws, etc.

Or are you just observing, reporting and assessing a lot?

There were no real job specifications and there seems to be very little detail online. It makes it difficult for one to fully understand the duties of the job and whether it would suit an applicant.

Joe222 wrote: »
    Ok thanks.

By manual I mean physical work like digging drains with shovels, lifting heavy items from place to place, climbing trees, using chainsaws, etc.

Or are you just observing, reporting and assessing a lot?

There were no real job specifications and there seems to be very little detail online. It makes it difficult for one to fully understand the duties of the job and whether it would suit an applicant.

To the best of my knowledge there would be a lot more observing/reporting/assessing than the physical work you've described.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevespring

800 people applied for the job.

Only 600 people responded to the request for further information.

From what I hear there will be 6 jobs going this year.

No idea when they are going to announce interviews, but you would imagine it would be soon.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭JKerova1

800 people applied for the job.

Only 600 people responded to the request for further information.

From what I hear there will be 6 jobs going this year.

No idea when they are going to announce interviews, but you would imagine it would be soon.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Advertisement