Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last cut of the year?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just done the first cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Was tempted to do it myself at the end of last week. Just as well I didn't, given the frost we had over the weekend!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well folks, its that time of year again....end of the month last cut for me...and you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Mine is getting it this Saturday, looks like it should be dry enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Seems to have been zero growth over the last month so I might leave it. We have rabbits whose hutch we can move around over winter to trim it, and we probably need that because the areas around the edge I was leaving for the rabbits haven't grown at all.

• Advertisement

Cut last weekend. Will do it again this Saturday too, but we'll have to see how the weather pans out. I'd expect to be going for a good few weeks yet, unless the weather takes a serious turn for the worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Still growing like crazy here. I would never dictate the 'last cut' by the calendar. It depends on the growth and the ground conditions, but I suspect there's a few weeks to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Slowed right down here in the Sunny South East.
    Which is odd, I had to cut up to mid Nov last year.

I mulched the back for the first time since scarifying it about 6 weeks ago yesterday. Was going to give the front a final trim today but the soil is still a bit soft. I reckon one more after tomorrow should do it this year.

I cut everything this afternoon as the wind was helpfully drying, no way is it the last cut though. From here on the best policy is keep it short and keep cutting as for long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

that only encourages moss surely?

• Advertisement

I have moss where I've had moss for years (ie the shaded area by the shed) but nowhere else. I also find frequent and often helps with weeds.

Scalping can cause moss but I'm not advocating that. Short is short not a No 1 cut which is practically a shave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cut today, hopefully that's me done for this year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

NIMAN wrote: »

I cut Christmas week last year, no way am I finished.

NIMAN wrote: »

Not a hope . Grass grows until temperatures are consistently below about 5c soil temp. It just slows down as it gets cooler. I have cut once a month from November to February many years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

As I always point out in these type of threads you can often get a really good dry day with the wind blowing that dries the grass right out around Christmas time / new year and get in a cut with very little effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cut all the year round here, close to the coast so get very little frosts which I suppose helps.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

due that it's expected to reach 19C on friday and saturday, and 18C on sunday, i expect the lawnmowers of ireland won't be relaxing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Cut mine today. If this weather continues it'll have to be cut again I think!

Curly head wrote: »
    Cut mine today. If this weather continues it'll have to be cut again I think!

Looks like the first really good day to cut grass in a long while - missed it :mad:

Cut the hedges instead! The grass might get a going over on Monday as it looks like it'll remain dry until later that day. Hopefully the wind will pick up to dry it a bit.

• Advertisement

should i collect the last cut? or leave the clippings on the lawn?

fryup wrote: »

If it were me I'd pick them up.

Did a final cut which may well not be judging by the forecast - quite a bit of high pressure in the offing.

Why do people gather grass cuttings? It'll mulch into the ground in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

If it were me, I'd keep the height of cut the same all year round and obey the 2/3rds rule. That is if you cut your grass at 40mm, I wouldn't let it past 60mm before cutting it if possible.

I wouldn't be afraid to put some iron sulphate/lawn sand out either if ground conditions allow. Will harden the grass plant and give some control on moss.

Collect your clippings also, always a good policy.

Did a final cut which may well not be judging by the forecast - quite a bit of high pressure in the offing.

Why do people gather grass cuttings? It'll mulch into the ground in a few days.

Because a lot of people are like me and leave it far too long between cuts so if you don't box the grass off it becomes a filthy mess after a few days. Its even worse this weather when its damp and cooler and not rotting down as quick.

Can't believe it's so dry out there - I'm going to have to cut it again one last last last time.

Done - until about two weeks time probably.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Can't believe it's so dry out there - I'm going to have to cut it again one last last last time.

You'll be back again Harry!

Yup, there could be two cuts left. Going to do mine this weekend I hope, as long as the rain holds off...

If it were me I'd pick them up.

each one individually :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

each one individually :confused:

A garden rake :P

Advertisement