Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bin Charges by Company.

• 15-06-2016 10:13am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Post here the latest bin charges for companies.

Greyhound
    City Bin
    Thornton
    Panda
    Green star

Plus any others

Standing Charge - Lift Charge black bin - Green bin - brown bin.

Black bin is landfill, general waste
    Green bin is recycle dry waste like paper plastic etc.
    Brown bin is compost, food waste etc.

Your bins may be different colours but stick to these designations please.

I will collate the results in this post.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Greenstar Fingal

Monthly Service Charge €13.00
    Refuse Bin per KG € 0.33 with no lift charge
    Recycling Bin per KG free with no lift charge
    Compost Bin per KG € 0.20 with no lift charge

Glass service is not available in Fingal
    CS says that the current Fuel surcharge of €3.41 per quarter is no longer charged but I believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Panda Swords

6 month Service Charge €43.00
    Refuse Bin per KG € 0.27 with €3.20 lift charge
    Recycling Bin per KG free with no lift charge
    Compost Bin per KG € 0.16 with €2.56 lift charge

I got quoted €0.06 for compost, however others report they get €0.16, so I corrected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭WealthyB

CityBin - Dublin City Council Area

I received an email from CityBin as follows:
    €15.12 Monthly Fee
    Black Bin €0.27 per Kg
    Brown Bin €0.20 per Kg
    No pick up fees
    Green Bin Free

however their website does not have that pricing and instead has this: (which was offered to me as an "alternative plan for those who could recycle more" - main difference is cheaper Monthly Fee)

€12.95 Monthly Fee
    Black Bin €0.30 per Kg
    Brown Bin €0.20 per Kg
    No pick up fees
    Green Bin Free

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Psychobabble

Greyhound DCC area

€3.25 per week service charge
    Black 35c
    Brown 23c
    Green free

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭EoC

Thorntons

104 annual service fee
    .35 per KG general waste
    .20 Compost

Service fee used to be 50 per year
    40KG lift 9.90 (now 14 euro)

How they can get away with the extra charges is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Reposting this from the other thread, Dublin 16.
    Steve wrote: »
    So based on published prices available on the web, the two options I have are Thorntons or City Bin.

Based on 2015 usage, I am facing a 43% increase in charges - BECAUSE I ALREADY RECYCLE AND HOME COMPOST!!

This is nuts.

Thorntons old Thorntons new City bin option 1 old City bin option 1 new City bin option 2 old City bin option 2 new
    Monthly fee €18.00 €12.95 €6.00
    Annual fee €50.00 €104.00 €216.00 €155.40 €72.00 €139.00
    Black bin lift €9.90 €- €- €- €9.00
    Black bin kilo €- €0.35 €- €0.30 €- €0.30

2015 Black lifts 10 €99.00 €- €- €- €90.00 €-
    Black kilos 312 €- €109.20 €- €93.60 €- €93.60
    Months 12 €50.00 €104.00 €216.00 €155.40 €72.00 €139.00
    Total €149.00 €213.20 €216.00 €249.00 €162.00 €232.60

Increase 43% 15% 44%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Allied Waste, Mullingar

Service charge €2.99 per week
    Waste 25c
    Recycle 5c
    No brown bin available in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

AES

€90 per 6 months

25 cent per kg for general waste

O cent recycling

Don't know brown bin as not all areas they service have them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

AES have 2 different plans depending on where you live.
    €90 service charge for 6 months with waste at €.25 per kg and organic at €.15 per kg
    €60 service charge for 6 months with waste at €.33 per kg and organic at €.19 per kg.
    Glass and recycling bins are free.

There's a €3 discount on the service charge for direct debit and €3 for paperless billing. That's 10% on the €60 plan and 6.6% on the €90 plan.
    https://www.aesirl.ie/prices-by-weight/?cnt=933&tnl=

• Registered Users Posts: 64,701 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Greyhound DCC area

€3.25 per week service charge
    Black 35c
    Brown 23c
    Green free

Or €140 per year, saving yourself €29 (52 * €3.25 = €169)

You have to ring up to tell them you want the annual charge and you have to pay up front

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Just working out one there for a largish family with 2 babies (not my family) and they'd be looking at €853/year !!!?!

I predict Water Charges protests 2.0 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

How would apartments get affected by these changes? Would annual management fees go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

12Phase wrote: »
    Just working out one there for a largish family with 2 babies (not my family) and they'd be looking at €853/year !!!?!

I predict Water Charges protests 2.0 ...

- If Greyhound don't change charges plan's already in place for a blockade of the depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ray Whelan Ltd Carlow
    ****PAY BY WEIGHT PRICING****

Service Charge for having 1 waste bin and 1 recycle bin – €14 per month
    Service Charge for having 2 waste bins and 1 recycle bin – €16 per month
    Waste – will be charged at 23 cent per KG
    Compost (where available) – will be charged at 16 cent per KG
    Recycling – will not be charged

Please note monthly service charges will increase by €2 per bin
    For example: 1 waste and 1 recycle will be €14.00 per month (2 bins)
    1 waste and 2 recycle will be €16.00 per month (3 bins)
    2 waste and 1 recycle will be €16.00 per month (3 bins)
    2 waste and 2 recycle will be €18.00 per month (4 bins)
    https://raywhelan.ie/pay-weight-prices/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just got e-mail for City bin for DCC

2016 charges from January were €150, up fro the €99 the year before.

Weekly standing Charge 2.49
    Black Bin 0.35pkg
    Brown Bin 0.25 pkg
    Green Bin FOC

Based on the last year my costs will go from 150 to 250! That 66% increase in costs.

What can we do about this. It's total madness. If they want to incentivise reduction they why are they allowed to charge a flat service charge. Surely it should all be about the weight or nothing?

Do I write to the local TD, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Just got e-mail for City bin for DCC

2016 charges from January were €150, up fro the €99 the year before.

Weekly standing Charge 2.49
    Black Bin 0.35pkg
    Brown Bin 0.25 pkg
    Green Bin FOC

Based on the last year my costs will go from 150 to 250! That 66% increase in costs.

What can we do about this. It's total madness. If they want to incentivise reduction they why are they allowed to charge a flat service charge. Surely it should all be about the weight or nothing?

Do I write to the local TD, or what?

I got a price from City bin of
    Weekly standing Charge 2.25
    Black Bin 0.39 pkg
    Brown Bin 0.32 pkg
    Green Bin FOC

How many plans do city bin have as there seems to be loads of different prices being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

AES Irl , Navan prices, The service charge is €90 for six months or €15 per month.

· Waste bin = 25 cent per KG
    · Recycling bin = 0 cent per KG
    · Organic bin = 15 cent per KG
    · Glass Bin = 0 cent per KG

the €90 charge has gone up from €85 per 6 months.

I got a price from City bin of
    Black Bin 0.39 pkg
    Brown Bin 0.32 pkg
    Green Bin FOC

How many plans do city bin have as there seems to be loads of different prices being offered.

Yes, that is the second option they offered me, slightly more expensive (like €10 or something).

The standing charges are far too high. This year €150 for the full service and now €117 just to have an account! And surely there should be a statutory charge per kilo, rather than allowing the supplier to pick and choose. Why does a higher standing charge lead to a lower per kilo price? It makes no sense (except of course for profit) in terms of the claimed desire to reduce waste. Pay a higher standing charge (profit goes directly to supplier) and you can throw more sh1t out.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Ray Whelan Bins - Carlow/Laois

Present monthly payments is 23pm

Now :

Service charge - 14euro PM
    Waste bin - 23c per KG
    Recycling bin - free
    Compost bin - 16c per KG

Here are the statutory minimum rates that will be allowed from 01 July:

Almost all households using a refuse collection service have to pay waste charges. Waste charges and methods of payment can vary considerably. Check with your refuse collection operator for further details.

A pay-by-weight charging system will be implemented throughout the State from 1 July 2016. The Government has set a minimum mandatory fee per kilo for the different types of household waste:

11c for residual waste (usually black or grey bins)
    6c for organic waste (usually brown bins)
    Zero cent for recyclable materials (usually green bins)
    These mandatory rates are the lowest that can apply for each type of waste, but the collection companies can choose to set charges that they consider competitive. They may also charge a service fee.

So the reason my bills are going up so much is that CityBin are fleecing us on the per kilo price. What happens to this minimum fee anyway, is it a levy that needs to be paid over to the state?

• Advertisement

Here are the statutory minimum rates that will be allowed from 01 July:

Almost all households using a refuse collection service have to pay waste charges. Waste charges and methods of payment can vary considerably. Check with your refuse collection operator for further details.

A pay-by-weight charging system will be implemented throughout the State from 1 July 2016. The Government has set a minimum mandatory fee per kilo for the different types of household waste:

11c for residual waste (usually black or grey bins)
    6c for organic waste (usually brown bins)
    Zero cent for recyclable materials (usually green bins)
    These mandatory rates are the lowest that can apply for each type of waste, but the collection companies can choose to set charges that they consider competitive. They may also charge a service fee.

So the reason my bills are going up so much is that CityBin are fleecing us on the per kilo price. What happens to this minimum fee anyway, is it a levy that needs to be paid over to the state?
    Our politicians, Taoiseach and especially the children Coveney and Howlin mad Brendan seem to think that these minimum prices are what companies are going to be charging and that they would not gouge the sh1te out of it just because we don't have good government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

City bin here. 2.99 service charge, 35c for grey and 30c for brown.

I am finding it hard to come across anyone going to save money. I found 24€ P/M high but with waste output of 35kg P/M I might have to revise my 34€ P/M to closer to 40€ P/M. What the **** like.

And this service charge is going to apply if your bin is lifted or not. So it's what 12€ P/M without a single bit of waste been moved.

To hell with that. All in one bag and down the compactor down the recycle place, enviroment is the biggest loser in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

Yes, that is the second option they offered me, slightly more expensive (like €10 or something).

The standing charges are far too high. This year €150 for the full service and now €117 just to have an account! And surely there should be a statutory charge per kilo, rather than allowing the supplier to pick and choose. Why does a higher standing charge lead to a lower per kilo price? It makes no sense (except of course for profit) in terms of the claimed desire to reduce waste. Pay a higher standing charge (profit goes directly to supplier) and you can throw more sh1t out.

I received an email from City bin also "the most appropriate (cheapest) option for you is plan 1 below. You don’t need to do anything to avail of this plan, you will be switched automatically on July 1st."

Black Bin 0.39 pkg
    Brown Bin 0.32 pkg
    Green Bin FOC

I was given no other option and from the looks of things this is the most expensive option available.

If even one company was to show they weren't profiteering form the new legislation I would sign up immediately, as I'm sure most other people would too. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I just received my notification from City Bin Co.

I pay €13.50 per month for green. brown, and black.

They are giving me: €2.99 per week standing charge = €13.11 per week.

Green = free, Brown = 20c and Black 30c.

so more than 1 kg per month of either brown or black will cost more.

or alternatively

€2.49 per week standing charge = €10.79 per week.

Green = free, Brown = 25c and Black 35c.

So I can save money on this plan if I put out 7 kg per month black or 10 kg per month brown bin.

This is a massive price increase. I actually rarely put out my black bin. So my grass cuttings go back to composting - that is about 85% of the brown bin.

They should have reduced the standing charge by at least 50% if they were to keep charging neutral.

Report on RTE 6 one News talks about "some" companies raising their service charge slightly, You'd think they were briefed earlier by the ministers involved,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I received an email from City bin also "the most appropriate (cheapest) option for you is plan 1 below. You don’t need to do anything to avail of this plan, you will be switched automatically on July 1st."

Black Bin 0.39 pkg
    Brown Bin 0.32 pkg
    Green Bin FOC

I was given no other option and from the looks of things this is the most expensive option available.

If even one company was to show they weren't profiteering form the new legislation I would sign up immediately, as I'm sure most other people would too. :mad:

That's the email we got too. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bin companies are laughing their holes off. Raises for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

When my broadband price changes during my contact term I can terminate my contract and switch provider without penalty, so why would my bin contract be different?
    It's just another service provider.

Has anyone got information like this about leaving their contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I worked out on my city bin plan that my monthly cost would go up by €6. However by being more careful about what I bin and finally getting a brown bin, I'd expect to be able to undo that.

Plan B of course is to fill my bin with helium balloons and send an invoice to city bin for a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

earlyapex wrote: »
    When my broadband price changes during my contact term I can terminate my contract and switch provider without penalty, so why would my bin contract be different?
    It's just another service provider.

Has anyone got information like this about leaving their contract?

But who do you change to? They are nearly all the same rip-off.

Advertisement