Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A question it is then so. I dont even know the answer myself....well I did years ago when I first heard it but the old brain cells aren't what they used to be so I'll have to look it up again. :p

Anyhow, whats the only county in Ireland that does not border a county with a coastline?

No peeking at maps now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Laois?

looksee wrote: »
    Laois?
    ......and today's winner is looksee. Well done :)

I had to pull up a map myself to make sure that was right.

Heavens! I did a quick mental survey and guessed!

Ok, what are we more likely to know ananas as?

looksee wrote: »
    Ok, what are we more likely to know ananas as?
    an arse hole? :pac:

Sorry couldnt resist but seriously I have no idea though what ananas is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

pineapple?

We have a winner! (No, Muffler, not you :D)

Can never remember if it's pineapple or grapefruit! :)

With 15 winners, which country holds the distinction of having the most Nobel literature laureates? Its most recent win was just last year, 2014.

No guesses? Hint: not the USA or the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This thread is mis-named! Its supposed to be an Easy Quiz! EASY Quiz!

• Advertisement

Ah, gwan JB, throw in a guess! I'll chance Ireland to get it over - I'm sure if it was we would have heard more about it :D

All right then, GREECE! Ooooh, I hope I win a prize! (jumps up and down in utter excitement!)

Sorry, guys, if I made it too hard. :o I just figured people would take a guess, rather than actually knowing the answer. Greece is not right.

Phooey! :mad:

I cheated and looked it up. I think I should get a prize for being able to find the answer! Every possible convolution of who won what, except for the simple answer. Found it eventually, well fancy that! It certainly isn't Ireland, Ireland hasn't won at all, which is odd considering how much literature has come from here. I'll leave it with you :D

Thanks, looksee, and sorry again. I actually didn't realise that it was so hard. I didn't find it so hard to get the question...

If you want to answer and move along, I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Sorry for the delay, folks - I was chemo-bombed yesterday and they scored a direct hit.

However uncomfortable the chemo, it really pains me to suggest that the country with the most Nobel literature laureates is......is.........Bluddy France.

Due to an enormous lack of interest, I can't name any of the winners or their.....works(?). And sure, it would be nice if Ireland was represented but I always thought that Russia / Soviet Union manages to produce marvellous work, even if I can only read the translations.

Is I right? Eh? Well, is I? Huh?

N, sorry. I probably would have guessed that, if I didn't know otherwise.

Sorry you are not feeling the best Brens, yes, I was surprised about France, though I have no idea why I should be? Why not France?

Eeden I wasn't giving out about the question! Brens got it so it wasn't impossible (I was going to say 'it can't have been too difficult' but then I realised how that sounded :p). I'll stop digging.

Sorry again; I sped-read Brens answer and didn't spot France, just fixated on Russia.

Off you go, Brens, sorry you're not feeling well. I'm just not good at this type of thing, obviously :o

• Advertisement

Awww shucks, OK, I'll have a go:

What's the story behind men's suit jackets having buttons on the sleeves? We know that, nowadays, it sometimes denotes the seniority of the tailor but who started it and why?

When really tight sleeves were fashionable, fellas used to get their missus to stitch them into the jacket...then she got fed up with this faffing around and put on buttons. No, I have no idea (though the bit about stitching sleeves is true (ish) if you go back to the middle ages).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

was it to stop folks wiping their noses on the sleeves?

Rubecula wrote: »

Correct!

Everyone's favourite corporal, Napoleon, looked out of his boudoir window one day and saw a sentry wiping his nose on his sleeve. "Awh ee awh ee awh", he said. "I vill stup zees et vance. Josephine, steetch a ruh of big, metal bootonz on all zuh sleeves off zee army." "Wee", said Josephine, as she reached for her needlework basket.

As personal hygiene improved, the buttons gradually moved to the seam, where they serve no practical purpose whatever.

Rubecula wrote: »
    BrensBenz wrote: »
    Correct!

Do we get a Rubeculan question now? If I ever get another one right, I have a real woozie just waiting.

ok

What is a Bufo bufo?

By the way I gave the previous answer out of a sense of fun, never thought it would be right :D

Good Heavens! I think I know this too! In Latin, bufo is a frog or maybe a toad. Hmmm, let's go with toad.

Is I right? Well, is I? Huh? Mister?

bufo bufo is common toad (I prefer a posh toad myself) Your turn oulpalomine

The only reason I knew this was that, when we started Latin lessons, we gave each other Latin nicknames. "Bouffont", the lad with too much hair, became "Bufo" and it took him two years to discover it wasn't hair-related.

Anyway, I'm having trouble phrasing this question!

While being held in what he called the "Bridewell", who (character or actor's name), in a musical / comical / mocumentary type fillum of the 1960's, delivered the line, in a broad Dublin accent, that the police would "need the mahogany truncheons on this boyo?"

• Advertisement

That's nothing to do with mahogany gas pipes is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement