Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Naomh Eanna - Grand Canal Dock

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Tabnabs wrote: »

I wouldn't call them interesting just more negativity from somebody who should be leading the campaign to save the ship but instead prefers to deride the efforts of others - another useless tosser.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Actually, Brian Goggins is exceptionally good at digging into stories to find out what lies beneath the surface. He gives a reasonably impartial comment but isn't afraid to play Devil's Advocate and critically appraise an organisation, interest group or political entity.

His blog is well worth following for anyone interested in Irish maritime matters (particularly located on inland waterways).

You resorting to name calling says a lot more about you than it does about him...

Actually, Brian Goggins is exceptionally good at digging into stories to find out what lies beneath the surface. He gives a reasonably impartial comment but isn't afraid to play Devil's Advocate and critically appraise an organisation, interest group or political entity.

His blog is well worth following for anyone interested in Irish maritime matters (particularly located on inland waterways).

You resorting to name calling says a lot more about you than it does about him...

His blog is quite interesting which is why I'd expect more of him. This country is full of armchair enthusiasts of whatever activity who can't be arsed to put their time or money where their mouth is. My name calling is caused out of frustration caused by decades of dealing with useless tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

fergal.b wrote: »
    I think the residents have bigger things to worry about, maybe the ship was protecting them from the elements :)

Clearly if they're not watertight they're a hazard and should be scrapped immediately without though or further consultation....

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Mex Mick

How will this be scrapped ?

• Advertisement

Mex Mick wrote: »

In the time honoured way that most of our industrial heritage is scrapped.

cartoons%2B001.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mex Mick wrote: »

ta be sure ta be sure shur they will get owl mountain micky to drive his jcb at it a few times, he'l go like a battering ram, cheep and cheerful, just by him a guinness afterwords shur begorra begosh

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

[Rabble] Yeah, them Micks don't know anythin and are compelte cowboys, I tells ya [/rabble]

Any ship recycling is carried out in accordance with EU regulations and there are some very fresh regulations in place (December 2013). I would expect WI, a cross border quango, to comply in entirety.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2013:330:FULL:EN:PDF

Perhaps our illustrious President can write a poem about it and bloggers can regale us with tales of voyages made on the ship.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Looks like she has got a stay of execution :)https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naomh-Eanna-Trust/211241455563057

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For someone with an otherwise interesting website, his outlook on heritage is somewhat jaundiced. The latest post is like a verbal attack of the trots, if people want to save it, let them get on with it and fair play to them. Less of the negative vibes, man.
    What would he make of the uk heritage lottery fund giving out cash like there's no tomorrow to part fund 'useless' projects in NI and across the water I wonder?

fergal.b wrote: »
    Looks like she has got a stay of execution :)https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naomh-Eanna-Trust/211241455563057

A strange Facebook post. The Trust would need to get their press releases very clear and factual as this latest one makes no sense. Pity Mick Wallace isn't doing Deenihan's job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Who pays for it to be repaired though...?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It would be a good project for FAS

ted1 wrote: »
    It would be a good project for FAS

After seeing some of the handywork of FAS on another engineering heritage project I'd say steer clear of them...an awful confection of crappy welding and wafer-thin chequerplate where riveting and proper steel plate were required.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

how would they get it to Galway, it can't be open sea worthy at this stage can it?

Stick it on a barge and ship it over

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

The RNLB Mary Stanford got moved from Grand Canal Dock today. She's heading home to Ballycotton;

http://afloat.ie/home/item/24484-famous-ballycotton-lifeboat-that-rescued-daunt-rock-lightship-crew-is-saved

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stick it on a barge and ship it over

with what money? they've no money to restore her, never mind shipping it half way around the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

She'd look great in the Claddagh in bright new livery. If she could be moored right at the museum it would be perfect, but location is not a possibility.

Like others have said, if funds can be found to take her under tow, the restoration and conversion wouldn't be too much should local groups wanted to get involved. However, funding for the maritime history sector is dismal, and it would be hard to justify it. There are many other cases which could be considered of more importance to the state. Look at the lads that self funded the dive trip to the Asgard to retrieve the bell and helm. Our government wanted them arrested.

Personally, if our finances were better, I'd love to see one of the soon to be decommissioned naval vessels saved as a museum ship. They would probably be easier to prepare being active ships, and the skillset is well within the navals ability to strip her out.

with what money? they've no money to restore her, never mind shipping it half way around the country

Sea scouts ;). I jest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

For the NE it is either a secret millionaire to save her or the breakers. I think the latter as I suspect that there is so much work to be done.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    For the NE it is either a secret millionaire to save her or the breakers. I think the latter as I suspect that there is so much work to be done.

I think its worth saving, but I think the fact that the main persson trying to save it is a commercial venture that stands to profit from it. One of the articles I read looked into the company and it transpired that they had no assests and were valued at 100 euro

jamesdiver wrote: »
    She'd look great in the Claddagh in bright new livery. If she could be moored right at the museum it would be perfect, but location is not a possibility.

Like others have said, if funds can be found to take her under tow, the restoration and conversion wouldn't be too much should local groups wanted to get involved. However, funding for the maritime history sector is dismal, and it would be hard to justify it. There are many other cases which could be considered of more importance to the state. Look at the lads that self funded the dive trip to the Asgard to retrieve the bell and helm. Our government wanted them arrested.

Personally, if our finances were better, I'd love to see one of the soon to be decommissioned naval vessels saved as a museum ship. They would probably be easier to prepare being active ships, and the skillset is well within the navals ability to strip her out.

Re the Asgard the govt didn't give a stuff, sold out and got the insurance money in their hot little hands. If a decommissioned naval vessel were put up as a museum ship people will still mump and moan that we should tip the money into the black hole that is the HSE or something. For a sea girt nation our maritime heritage is almost a non-entity compared with fine maritime museums you see set up by the Brits, Kiwis, Aussies, etc...hell even tinpot South American countries and Russia retain venerable old vessels as museum pieces. Look how long the original Asgard rotted away until finally someone pulled the finger out. Wouldn't care to much who took on the NE, as long as there was some sort of a plan for it and it was restored sympathetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

I think its worth saving, but I think the fact that the main persson trying to save it is a commercial venture that stands to profit from it. One of the articles I read looked into the company and it transpired that they had no assests and were valued at 100 euro

Link to the article?

Can someone confirm that the lock to allow the NE to depart the GCD are operational (I understand only the smallest one is, currently)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Link to the article?

I think it was linked earlier in the thread. The €100 is probably irrelevant anyway, if investors came on board they would invest cash for shares and the funds available go to restore the ship.

Galway Harbour company could probably buy it and pay for restoration as they are a commercial semi state. Did Dublin port company or Dublin county council buy the Jeannie Johnston?

As regards transport it could be loaded onto a barge and moved, this is not expensive in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Can someone confirm that the lock to allow the NE to depart the GCD are operational (I understand only the smallest one is, currently)?

I live in the area, and to my untrained eye it does look like the biggest lock gate out into the Liffey from GCD is in a bad state of disrepair, particularly the "downstream" gate. I doubt it is in anyway watertight, I'll snap a pic next time I walk over it. I imagine a big job would be needed before you could get the NE out.

It also has a permanent bridge across it between the gates as you can see on google maps which would have to be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

maybe Sea Shepard could use it?

Advertisement