Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boiler Room

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Have sifted through the majority of the boiler room sets at this stage and keep coming back to the Vath set. On reflection it is my highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

A fairly literal 'piss-take' but actually a decent set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Aidric wrote: »
    Have sifted through the majority of the boiler room sets at this stage and keep coming back to the Vath set. On reflection it is my highlight.

Definitely one of my favourites alright. Really well put together and there's a great consistent groove to the whole thing. I was surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Lovely chilled vibes from this recent one:

I have a lot of catching up to do in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ekelly17

Mr. G; always knows how to make a proper party. House legend:cool::cool:

Looking forward to seeing him at Twisted Pepper at the start of April.

Lucy; Stroboscopic Artefacts chief dog, who knows his techno sound;);)

Ben Sims; seen him many times and still an all time favourite:D:D

http://boilerroom.tv/ben-sims-40-min-mix/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Looking forward to seeing him at Life festival, it should be a belter.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

a148pro wrote: »
    Definitely one of my favourites alright. Really well put together and there's a great consistent groove to the whole thing. I was surprised.

A pleasant surprise. He can still pull it out when he wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭francois

Aidric wrote: »
    A pleasant surprise. He can still pull it out when he wants to.

i've played and seen him a few times, jesus he can get messy, I mean seriously messy!-The best I saw him was at ILT in 2004, totally destroyed the place

I don't know how he does it, but I presume his club cocoon includes the swimming pool from cocoon the film and he sleeps in it every night

djhaxman wrote: »

This is class thank you for posting

Working through the other ones posted at work, lots of head thumping going on

• Advertisement

francois wrote: »
    i've played and seen him a few times, jesus he can get messy, I mean seriously messy!-The best I saw him was at ILT in 2004, totally destroyed the place

Played with him? Ya, his partying and antics are infamous and there are plenty vids of him around where he is in bad shape but there is no doubting his pedigree.

When he is on his game, as evidently he was for this set, he can destroy a room.

This set is absolutely banging, its much better than his shorter clips from festival sets, but would definitely go and see him if he is playing any of the Irish festivals, either Body & Soul festival, Life or Electric Picnic,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I really love this mix - bit different for boiler room but really nice and uplifting... but it really pisses me off how bad his mixing is at times! Can't understand a guy of his calibre having so many bad mixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ffm

Zascar wrote: »

I really love this mix - bit different for boiler room but really nice and uplifting... but it really pisses me off how bad his mixing is at times! Can't understand a guy of his calibre having so many bad mixes.

Just listened to this. Not bad at all. Nothing at all like I expected Garnier to play. I thought he plays banging techno but was pleasantly surprised to hear the housier stuff.

The mixing isn't that bad. He had to give the jog wheel a push during the mix a couple of times but that's not a big deal, I don't think. There was one alright where it was very noticeable but I thought the rest were ok.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I like it, I've thrown it on when people are around the gaff a few times, always goes down well. Maybe its just me but several mixes I'm just screaming at him to give it a quarter of a turn to get it in sync - I just dont understand how he does not hear it. Most of the other boiler room djs are impeccable about their mixing. Some of his mixes are great though, he even does some spinbacks which actually work quite well! :p

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah I like it, I've thrown it on when people are around the gaff a few times, always goes down well. Maybe its just me but several mixes I'm just screaming at him to give it a quarter of a turn to get it in sync. Some mixes are great though, he does some spinbacks which actually work quite well! :p

To be fair, if you hadn't pointed out the mixing before I listened, I probably would have thought myself that he'd want to have a word with himself about keeping the tracks in sync. I think I was just expecting him to be absolutely brutal altogether.

Nah I reckon he's missed most of the mixes by about a quarter beat. Wonder was it something to do with the acoustics though.

Still, like the lads in the OAP thread will say about DJ Pressure, its not just about the mixing its also about track selection:). Set is a belter in fairness, slightly dodgy mixing aside. Great to see a 25 year old classic half way through too (Nightwriters) and great to see the reaction it gets from the crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Nah I reckon he's missed most of the mixes by about a quarter beat. Wonder was it something to do with the acoustics though.

Still, like the lads in the OAP thread will say about DJ Pressure, its not just about the mixing its also about track selection:). Set is a belter in fairness, slightly dodgy mixing aside. Great to see a 25 year old classic half way through too (Nightwriters) and great to see the reaction it gets from the crowd!

Are you comparing preasure to Garnier? Really?

Preasure was playing at a time when your "selection" was pretty much all ready selected for you. all you had to do was find some half decent placement for the set which preasure also couldn't do.

Not in the same league, not the same game. not the same bloody sport.

Zascar, you need to watch more boiler rooms a huge amount of them have horrific out of pitch mixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

and if it's any consolation Garnier played Cork on Saturday for about 4 hours I don't think I heard a single off beat.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen him at this point and his mixing/selection/placement has always been impeccable

limnam wrote: »
    Are you comparing preasure to Garnier? Really?

No of course not, thats why there was smiley in my post. I was just saying that the mixing was poor but the set is actually really good. Which imo shows that Garnier does still have it, I reckon it was an acoustic thing. For a while there all his sets that I heard on line were sounding the same and featured too many of the same old tracks - the live version of man with the red face, acid eiffel, blur song 2, nirvana. Good to hear him put together a set of mostly contemporary stuff (I presume, I don't know any of the tracks beyond the nightwriters one, which it turns out is a felix the housecat 2013 bootleg type thing).

And his track in the mix is class, as is another six track I just listened to online. Again, good to see.

I've prob listened to 50 hours plus of online Garnier sets, and he does lose a mix occasionally, and slightly more than other DJs, but overall he's a brilliant DJ anyway, mainly because of track selection as it happens. Sure I nominated him in the best DJ thread.

How was the gig, what kind of stuff did he play?

• Advertisement

Sounds to me like you were actually listening for mistakes. Fair enough if it's an obvious **** up but I honestly don't think there was any bad mixes. Besides one slightly dodgy one. But these things happen.

As for the Nightwriters/ Felix Da Housecat track, I was looking at something else when I heard it come on & looked at the youtube page to see did it get a reaction. When I looked at it, there was no reaction whatsoever. Maybe we just looked at it at different points. I seem to remember there being a good atmosphere over all though.

Hmmm, so you managed to notice that there was no reaction but you didn't notice the 6 - 7 slightly out of time transitions in the mix....? In fairness its not just me thats saying it there are several posters in this thread pointing it out and countless trolls in the comments section of the youtube vid

Anyway its still a very good mix imo. In fact if all the mixes were in time it would be the best mix I've heard in ages.

Hmmm, so you managed to notice that there was no reaction but you didn't notice the 6 - 7 slightly out of time transitions in the mix....? In fairness its not just me thats saying it there are several posters in this thread pointing it out and countless trolls in the comments section of the youtube vid

Anyway its still a very good mix imo. In fact if all the mixes were in time it would be the best mix I've heard in ages.

Yes, that's correct. As I said, I made a point of checking the crowd reaction when I heard the Felix Da Housecat track. I too thought it was the Nightwriters so that's why I checked the video clip to see the reaction. As for not noticing the so called bad mixes, I wasn't listening too closely & was reading something else online. As I already said. Don't really see the need to question those circumstances.

Mixing isn't the be all & end all. One of my favourite mixes of all time has absolutely brutal mixing & the music selection puts to shame any other mix with seamless mixing.

It's called enjoying the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

OK so I've been aware of these Boiler Room sets for a while but due to life and sht getting in the way, haven't really had time to stop and acknowledge them properly... till tonight, stumbled upon this one and stuck it on for bit, now nearly 20 mins in and struggling to stop it. Reckon I've some catching up to do with this thread. And yeah some bogey mixing here too from time to time!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Some seriously nice tracks in this Legowelt mix, bit of a billy no mates though in terms of his Boiler Room support... a few people seem to wander in later on. Quality stuff though.

Some patchy mixing in spots but overall solid techno.

Did Richard D. James ever do a set for Boiler Room, would love the Aphex Twin to have a go at it, would be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I vote for a Deadmau5 Boiler Room...live set...playing whatever the fcuk he likes.

If this is anything to go by, it'd be quite something.

A clear case of 'don't judge an artist by his albums!'

• Advertisement

Advertisement