Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aoibheann or aobhinn...

• 16-12-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

This has been driving me mad for the past few days. I always spelled it 'Is aoibheann liom'. But my teacher and all the books spell it 'Is aoibhinn liom'. I pretty much had a 'EVERYTHING I HAVE LEARNT IS A LIE!!!!!' moment. But a quick google showed that other people spell it my way too. So which way do you spell it? Also include what you think is your dialect (Leinster, Connemara, the brlahhh of Donegal etc... :P)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

This has been driving me mad for the past few days. I always spelled it 'Is aoibheann liom'. But my teacher and all the books spell it 'Is aoibhinn liom'. I pretty much had a 'EVERYTHING I HAVE LEARNT IS A LIE!!!!!' moment. But a quick google showed that other people spell it my way too. So which way do you spell it? Also include what you think is your dialect (Leinster, Connemara, the brlahhh of Donegal etc... :P)
    Please delete, duplicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

This has been driving me mad for the past few days. I always spelled it 'Is aoibheann liom'. But my teacher and all the books spell it 'Is aobhinn liom'. I pretty much had a 'EVERYTHING I HAVE LEARNT IS A LIE!!!!!' moment. But a quick google showed that other people spell it my way too. So which way do you spell it? Also include what you think is your dialect (Leinster, Connemara, the brlahhh of Donegal etc... :P)

From the hills of Donegal it's "is aoibhinn liom".
    Have'nt seen before either of the 2 ways you spelt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Aoibheann is a girl's name, aoibhinn is an adjective.

Advertisement