Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where was McGonagles?

• 15-10-2006 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question.. where was the music venue McGonagles? And is it true The Stone Roses played there when they started out?

Thanks,

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Hi,

Quick question.. where was the music venue McGonagles? And is it true The Stone Roses played there when they started out?

Thanks,

K.

The stone roses played in 1985 i believe. They got bottled off stage. I think it's still listed on www.thestoneroses.co.uk which is in the middle of an upgrade or else i read in Nigel Cawthrone's book '' the making of the stone roses''.

quick look at the book.....June 5 1986. According to the book they were booked on heavy metal night which went down very badly and caused a near riot.

Was it on Capel street or just of it? I'm not really sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

McGonagles was on South Anne Street, just off Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I think the venue just off Capel Street was The Blue Room.

Any idea what now stands where McGonagles was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I think the venue just off Capel Street was The Blue Room.

Any idea what now stands where McGonagles was?

yup. the site was completely torn down and is currently being redeveloped/shops/apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

yeah it was south anne street alright,
    Not a good idea for the roses to play there seeing as Morbid Angel, Carcass, Death and similar bands were the norm.
    Great days, they used to have metal disco's on Friday nights. Wine and Chapagne Cider ah the memories........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Mcgonagles was on South Anne st , during the nineties the place was the System niteclub , ( Techno / rave kind on place ) not sure what it is now or even if its still there but thats where it was ,
    Was in both in my time ......these days you'd have to pay me to go into the city !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Well, the Roses were more punk than anything else originally, and their early demos testify to this, so maybe they thought they'd fit in.

Interesting picture on that website.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Well, the Roses were more punk than anything else originally

John Squire was obviously heavily influenced by The Clash and punk but I wouldnt say the Roses original music was more punk!! As The Patrol Squire and Brown were more mod based then anything else. So Young, which is probably recognised as the Roses first release wasnt exactly punk to be fair!! What demo songs do you have in mind which were punk??

They were wrongly booked into McGonagles by their manager at the time, was it Gareth Evans??, who was a sly lazy git who just took the booking without realising what the venue was expecting!! He thought McGonagles was like his venue The International.

Didnt the Roses turn up that night in Hawaiian shirts??They normally wore their paisley shirts but I think they decided to be a bit daring that night which pissed the crowd off even more when Brown swaggered onto the stage!!

They ended up being barricaded into their changing room until the Gardai arrived. But in the meantime they thrashed the changing room and apparently were soaking wet when the cops arrived cos they had smashed a sink and burst a water pipe!!

branners69 wrote:
    John Squire was obviously heavily influenced by The Clash and punk but I wouldnt say the Roses original music was more punk!! As The Patrol Squire and Brown were more mod based then anything else. So Young, which is probably recognised as the Roses first release wasnt exactly punk to be fair!! What demo songs do you have in mind which were punk??

They were wrongly booked into McGonagles by their manager at the time, was it Gareth Evans??, who was a sly lazy git who just took the booking without realising what the venue was expecting!! He thought McGonagles was like his venue The International.

Didnt the Roses turn up that night in Hawaiian shirts??They normally wore their paisley shirts but I think they decided to be a bit daring that night which pissed the crowd off even more when Brown swaggered onto the stage!!

They ended up being barricaded into their changing room until the Gardai arrived. But in the meantime they thrashed the changing room and apparently were soaking wet when the cops arrived cos they had smashed a sink and burst a water pipe!!

Perhaps 'punk' is a bit strong in fairness.. Thrashy pop would be more accurate perhaps. I have an old cassette with about 20 unreleased demos from the pre 'Stone Roses' album days.. Unfortunately I don't have it here so can't reference them by name.

Cool story about the gig btw..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Franko73

God I loved that place!!!! Every Saturday night, it was the best place around, great music. I still have some of the flyers and posters at home...

SONIC BOOM on saturday night!!!

Always the same faces there and great atmosphere, I remember the night it closed and rumours went around that it was closed and next saturday when we strolled down after a few pints, the doors were shut!!! Disaster, end of an era!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine who was doing photography has some great photos of saturday nights inside......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

saw the Pale playing there in one of the first gigs I went to - it was done out like a cave inside.

subsequently became the System nightclb, favoured hangout of the mid-90s dilated-pupils set...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Franko73 wrote: »
    God I loved that place!!!! Every Saturday night, it was the best place around, great music. I still have some of the flyers and posters at home...

SONIC BOOM on saturday night!!!

Always the same faces there and great atmosphere, I remember the night it closed and rumours went around that it was closed and next saturday when we strolled down after a few pints, the doors were shut!!! Disaster, end of an era!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine who was doing photography has some great photos of saturday nights inside......

god Sonic Boom - that brings back memories. Was a Saturday night regular in my time there; great great memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Mcgons was on st anne street ,around from Dawson street .I use to hang out a lot there and the old baily pub,toners ,mcdaids ,keoughs .All the local bands /actors /hanger ons (me) use to hang out in the baily .I had a chat with the late phil lynnot one night in there .Remember going to see the only ones and xtc in Mcgons ,as wel as d-c nien ,xentrics ,stepaside ,lookalikes ,paul cleary and a rake of others.Remember the lead singer of the Only Ones was off his face on stage that night singing ' another planet' and having a drink and smoke with him after gig , very indulgent days then , but not as much as now i dont think , great memories . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yeah, it's where Guess? and some other shops, Venu Brasserie and some office are on South Anne Street. It wasn't the whole place but McGonagles was part of the block

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 noknees8

Hi Mcgonagles was in Anne street south,used to go to see the Alsations there.Can any one remember the name of the restaurant across from it.We used to go there late at night and eat spagetti bolonaise..thought we were so cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

Saw the Tom Tom Club play there so many years ago...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Great venue, saw lots of bands there, standout one was probably when Ozzy was there blooding in a new guitarist after Zakk Wylde died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭blue4ever

m-m-m-m-mega venue, downstairs, place was lit. Its was, literally, opposite John Keoghs, but between the corner where the travel agents is now and the corner of Dawson St,
    Champaign Cider was one of the things they flogged coz it had a wine licence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Truth be told, the place was a horrible, smelly dive. My abiding memory of the place is of my shoes sticking to the floor when trying to walk in the club.

I remember them selling Babycham or something similar because they didn't have a drinks licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I went to see the Inspiral Carpets there and the crowd broke the floor that night. I remember I had just started playing bass at the time and was watching the roadie intently setting up the guitars.
    Found out 15yrs later it was some bloke called Noel Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

they used to have Club Sandanista there on saturday nights, all they served at the bar was Ritz, they also had raves when House music came out first as far as I can remember, the RTE program Nighthawks had their camera's there one night....

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Gaspode wrote: »
    Great venue, saw lots of bands there, standout one was probably when Ozzy was there blooding in a new guitarist after Zakk Wylde died.

+1 , He done two nights there .... just out of a clinic and was on fire !!!!

Pity it and the Top Hat are gone, two good venues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

CFC1969 wrote: »
    +1 , He done two nights there .... just out of a clinic and was on fire !!!!

Pity it and the Top Hat are gone, two good venues

Remember going to see the Stranglers there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

noknees8 wrote: »
    Hi Mcgonagles was in Anne street south,used to go to see the Alsations there.Can any one remember the name of the restaurant across from it.We used to go there late at night and eat spagetti bolonaise..thought we were so cool!

The place where the staff were notoirously rude?

Called the Coffee Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Gaspode wrote: »

Zakk Wylde is still alive and kicking, I'm presuming you mean Randy Rhoads?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

dcr22B wrote: »
    Zakk Wylde is still alive and kicking, I'm presuming you mean Randy Rhoads?

D'oh, of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Used to love Soul on Ice and Voodoo - two acid/dance nights around 1988 and 89 that were on in McGonagles. Tgink I have a load of posters from the nights in my ma's house somewhere... They got in loads of DJs that went on to be a lot better known: think the likes of Norman Jay, Coldcut, Jay Strongman and Mike Pickering all played IIRC. Memory is a bit hazy though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 noknees8

Degsy wrote: »
    The place where the staff were notoirously rude?

Called the Coffee Inn.

Thanks,yes thats the place.Food came out a hatch to servers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

bdr529 wrote: »
    they used to have Club Sandanista there on saturday nights, all they served at the bar was Ritz, they also had raves when House music came out first as far as I can remember, the RTE program Nighthawks had their camera's there one night....

Oh yeah, Ritz was the name that I was looking for. Club Sandinista was a great night out.

Advertisement