Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 routers on the one network problems

Options
  • 17-02-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have connected 2 routers to extend my network to an exterior building. I have done the usual steps. Reassigned the IP address of the second router to be 1.2 and the first to be 1.1. I have disabled dhcp on the 2nd router. Assigned different wifi channels at opposite ends of the channels for the 2 routers so they don't interfere and then put the Ethernet cable going from lan1 in the first router to lan1 in the 2nd. But my internet now drops constantly on both routers for split seconds. It doesn't really effect streaming but browsing pages can drop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The WAN port on the second router should be empty, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kevincadd90

ED E wrote: »
    The WAN port on the second router should be empty, is it?

It is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

did you turn off NAT on second router ?

scamalert wrote: »
    did you turn off NAT on second router ?

Hi I have a hg659 and can't seem to find the nat options

its been long since i dabbled in networking but just guessing as you mentioned two routers its possible both do nat translation, simple check is to tracert www.google.com on command line and check if it does it twice via both routers.

• Advertisement

any luck with routers,as now dont think double NAT was issue that could be causing such dropouts as its known to cause large interferences with streaming which you said worked fine, but it also causes issues with SSL certs which basically every site uses but imagine its something else. ED E seems to have better sense in that area.

any luck with routers,as now dont think double NAT was issue that could be causing such dropouts as its known to cause large interferences with streaming which you said worked fine, but it also causes issues with SSL certs which basically every site uses but imagine its something else. ED E seems to have better sense in that area.

Hi no the routers worked fine. Yeah I can access the web fine and streaming is perfect. This area is now where my limited knowledge becomes zero so I'm just googling things and trying it. I timed it this morning before I left for work and internet was dropping every 14 seconds or so. But again it didn't really effect anything unless I had refreshed a page in the split second it was down in which case all I had to do was click refresh. I have read about a cross over cable which I'm willing to try but I don't want to go cutting up my cat6 after I've already assembled it

yeah its ruling out all possibilities crossover cable makes sense even thou most modern routers have auto sensing to correct that but with provider routers you get little in terms of configuration and capabilities so that might be your answer, why packets get dropped, so often. maybe get couple feet and bring two together instead of splicing one you have.

yeah its ruling out all possibilities crossover cable makes sense even thou most modern routers have auto sensing to correct that but with provider routers you get little in terms of configuration and capabilities so that might be your answer, why packets get dropped, so often. maybe get couple feet and bring two together instead of splicing one you have.

So just thinking, again my knowledge of this stuff is very limited, but I've named the 2 ssids differently, for example main router would be eir5g and my extended one is kevin5g different passwords. Would there be a conflict there? I don't see how it would but this seems to be the only place I veered from tutorials. I will try it this evening but just looking for your opinion before I do

So just thinking, again my knowledge of this stuff is very limited, but I've named the 2 ssids differently, for example main router would be eir5g and my extended one is kevin5g different passwords. Would there be a conflict there? I don't see how it would but this seems to be the only place I veered from tutorials. I will try it this evening but just looking for your opinion before I do

So I changed the names to the same thinking that the mobile device would be struggling to choose between the stronger signal but it hasn't worked again the signal drops for split seconds. Really haven't a clue now

• Advertisement

The fact that the stutter is brief makes me think either DNS or both are attempting PPPoE dials.

Check if the internet light on the main unit flickers red when it stutters.

The fact that the stutter is brief makes me think either DNS or both are attempting PPPoE dials.

Check if the internet light on the main unit flickers red when it stutters.

No it doesn't flicker but is there any settings I could look for in relation to the DNS and PPPoE? I'm thinking the stutter is so quick it doesn't register on the main unit

Check the logs to see if there are regular PPPoE disconnects.

Check the logs to see if there are regular PPPoE disconnects.

I was searching the logs there and can't see any instance of PPPoE :S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭worded

The second router is effectively an access point

First router
    E.g

Second router
    Make it static at 192.168.1.100

Disabled dhcp

He goal is to be able to go to IP address of .100 route
    Different SSIDs is a good idea to test

Sometimes you are better off getting an access point or a router that can be set to accesspoint rather than expecting it to work as one

As a matter of interest is the diff building on the same elec loop?
    If yes - you can use power line adapters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Make sure the SSID and passwords are the same. Might not hurt to use a WiFi analyser app on your phone to see if any other networks are causing interference (outside of your own)

durtybit wrote: »
    Make sure the SSID and passwords are the same. Might not hurt to use a WiFi analyser app on your phone to see if any other networks are causing interference (outside of your own)

So I have renamed the ssid and passwords to be the same made sure the channels are on opposite ends of the spectrum and I have had the wifi analyser from the start to check the networks and everything is clear. No joy.
    The first router is the worst where the cuts are pretty constant. You can really notice it on an app like Instagram where it is constantly updated and refreshing.
    I haven't had a chance to check for a need for cross over cable but I'll get doing this at the weekend. I have been told though that it's really unlikely that it's needed as modern routers have a system built in.
    This one is really a head scratcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

So I have renamed the ssid and passwords to be the same made sure the channels are on opposite ends of the spectrum and I have had the wifi analyser from the start to check the networks and everything is clear. No joy.
    The first router is the worst where the cuts are pretty constant. You can really notice it on an app like Instagram where it is constantly updated and refreshing.
    I haven't had a chance to check for a need for cross over cable but I'll get doing this at the weekend. I have been told though that it's really unlikely that it's needed as modern routers have a system built in.
    This one is really a head scratcher.

Who is your ISP?
    What package and speed are you subscribed to?
    Does the problem go away if you only have the main router connected?
    Does the issue occur on Ethernet cabled connections?
    If only on WiFi are both Android and iOS affected?
    What are the models of the two routers involved?

Ignore the cable suggestion. MDIX sorts that and it would either work or not.

He's most likely Vodafone Navi if he's calling the 659 by its normal name.

(Windows) Try a constant ping, that rules DNS in/out
    ping 8.8.8.8 -t

If it drops regularly you'll see it as no response.

• Advertisement

Who is your ISP?
    What package and speed are you subscribed to?
    Does the problem go away if you only have the main router connected?
    Does the issue occur on Ethernet cabled connections?
    If only on WiFi are both Android and iOS affected?
    What are the models of the two routers involved?

ISP is eir , package is the efibre 1000, the problem is not there when the main is connected on it's own (I've had it on it's own now for about 10mins and no disconnect)
    Router 1 is hg659b by eir they call it f2000 I think
    Router 2 is hg659 by Vodafone.
    Both Android and iOS is effected however iOS cannot connect to the 5g at all but can connect to the 2.4g

Ignore the cable suggestion. MDIX sorts that and it would either work or not.

He's most likely Vodafone Navi if he's calling the 659 by its normal name.

(Windows) Try a constant ping, that rules DNS in/out
    ping 8.8.8.8 -t

If it drops regularly you'll see it as no response.

Cheers I'll try that in a few mins too. I've had the main router on it's own now for a good few mins and no sign of dropping.

The other thing I forgot to mention is you need to ensure DHCP is off for v4 and v6. I think they may be on separate pages of the interface.

ISP is eir , package is the efibre 1000, the problem is not there when the main is connected on it's own (I've had it on it's own now for about 10mins and no disconnect)
    Router 1 is hg659b by eir they call it f2000 I think
    Router 2 is hg659 by Vodafone.
    Both Android and iOS is effected however iOS cannot connect to the 5g at all but can connect to the 2.4g

Follow this guide and change the options on the Vodafone hg659 only noting especially the DHCP6 and RA settings. After you've done this reboot everything including client devices and see if it's rectified.

https://editorsean.com/articles/configure-unused-eir-f2000-router-wi-fi-access-point/

If not we'll then look at disabling IPv6 on the F2000.

The other thing I forgot to mention is you need to ensure DHCP is off for v4 and v6. I think they may be on separate pages of the interface.

Oh? On the 1st router also?

No. Follow the guide I posted on the router used as access point.

That'd be optional. It being off on the 2nd router is the main thing otherwise clients can ask it to route packets for them which it then will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'd be trying to get it stable on two different SSIDs first before trying to merge them. Switching isn't always smooth between them so that would be another unknown introduced. Plus if they're separate you (easily) know exactly which one you're connected to when the problem occurs.

No. Follow the guide I posted on the router used as access point.

So I got to have a look at the router and this walkthrough and I had it set up exactly the same , still no luck

• Advertisement

So I got to have a look at the router and this walkthrough and I had it set up exactly the same , still no luck

Going to try disable ipv6 on f2000

Advertisement