Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pivoting blades would have been standard on farm drum and disc mowers then.

The retailers have a big margin. Many are reluctant to buy online due to worry about breakdown and repair.
    In my case with two lawns, I can get two McCulloch robots for €1700 and install myself as per site shown by a poster here. The Husky retailer will supply one machine and install two charge stations for €2500. I then will be moving it across the drive every second day.
    I probably would be fine with two McCulloch robots costing €1300. The bigger model on an awkward lawn is just insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

KCross wrote: »
    3 options....
    - Physically carry the mower between lawns. Some people do it. It wouldnt be for me. It defeats the purpose of having a robot mower if you have to carry it every few hours between charge sessions.

- Buy an extra charging station and setup the perimeter wire as two separate lawns. You'd still have to carry it between the lawns but at least you could leave it on one lawn for half the week and the other lawn for the other half and it would autonomously do its thing.

- Get kids that are bigger than the mower! :)
    Ultimately if you want the mower to cover the entire area without being physically moved it has to be able to drive itself through whatever gaps you give it. If your child is smaller than that gap there isnt much you can do.

Above situation is me also.

have two large lawns which are separated by a busy private Agri roadway.
    Is it possible to have a single robot mower with two power bases, is 3.5 days per week per area?!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Will be pulling the trigger on a 430x in the next two weeks (hopefully!!), already got the large installation kit and hope to install it myself during the week, ideally i'd like to give the lawn a good cut before installation but my ride-on has completely died and the grass is now about 4" long - what can the automower cope with for the first cut / do you reckon it will have problems with grass this length ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Moreilly wrote: »
    Will be pulling the trigger on a 430x in the next two weeks (hopefully!!), already got the large installation kit and hope to install it myself during the week, ideally i'd like to give the lawn a good cut before installation but my ride-on has completely died and the grass is now about 4" long - what can the automower cope with for the first cut / do you reckon it will have problems with grass this length ?

It will look very messy for a while, as the mower will flatten a lot of the grass rather than cut it, but eventually as it hits each tuft from different directions it will get it cut. It's not ideal, and you'll have clumps of cut grass everywhere for a while, but if you can't get a cut in beforehand don't worry too much about it. Eventually it will have it all cut and the more it goes over the clumps of cut grass it will chew those up too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Mine was longer than 4" and it's perfect now after a week of partial cutting days.
    I only got power to the shed the home station is mounted beside this morning so I was running an extension lead across the yard to get power to the station.
    Let it loose!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

My outdoor socket is not close to where I want the charging station. Any suggestions for a permanent extension cable? Would need to be around 20 metres. Lots of results like the one below but 8 dont think theyre designed to be permanently left outside and switched on?

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/masterplug-heavy-duty-extension-lead-1g-240v-10m.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAhp_jBRAxEiwAXbniXYCMmizqF9Gyc243nuCPIHsMmA-ozohKfyySQJhz2NzMv_w2ViwdOBoCdpoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My outdoor socket is not close to where I want the charging station. Any suggestions for a permanent extension cable? Would need to be around 20 metres. Lots of results like the one below but 8 dont think theyre designed to be permanently left outside and switched on?

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/masterplug-heavy-duty-extension-lead-1g-240v-10m.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAhp_jBRAxEiwAXbniXYCMmizqF9Gyc243nuCPIHsMmA-ozohKfyySQJhz2NzMv_w2ViwdOBoCdpoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Have it run properly with shielded cable buried if needed and an outdoor socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just borrow a mower off a neighbour and then put the robots in. I'm sure you have neighbours for a once off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

whats the best price people have been able to get the 430x for

• Advertisement

whats the best price people have been able to get the 430x for

Looking at around€2360 at the moment, haven't pulled the trigger just yet though....

Looking at around€2360 at the moment, haven't pulled the trigger just yet though....

what site was that on

2017 430x
    Medium installation kit
    Headlight kit
    Autoconnect GPS module
    Extra blades
    Boundary repair kit

All in was €2600 from GPL shop in Sweden with everything fitted and installed in mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 2Tractors

Has anyone priced up a 450x? Am told there is a €600 hike for the 2019 model although it seems unchanged over 2018. The now €1000 premium over the 430x is hard to stomach. Our lawn is 3000sqm so within spec of the 430x but i don't want to find it wears out too quickly from being overworked.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

anyone like to recommend a smaller robot mower for a 400m2 Lawn flat lawn very easy install

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Roen wrote: »
    2017 430x
    Medium installation kit
    Headlight kit
    Autoconnect GPS module
    Extra blades
    Boundary repair kit

All in was €2600 from GPL shop in Sweden with everything fitted and installed in mower.

Is that included or an optional extra?
    If included as standard I'd hope there is a way to leave the lights off. The last thing you want is to draw attention to a €2500 asset roaming your lawn and the lights have no real benefit to you, that I can think of.

2Tractors wrote: »
    Has anyone priced up a 450x? Am told there is a €600 hike for the 2019 model although it seems unchanged over 2018. The now €1000 premium over the 430x is hard to stomach. Our lawn is 3000sqm so within spec of the 430x but i don't want to find it wears out too quickly from being overworked.
    Thanks

I've the 430X for 5 years now on a 3000m² lawn and its running fine. Battery still performing like day 1 and it keeps up with the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

If included as standard I'd hope there is a way to leave the lights off. The last thing you want is to draw attention to a €2500 asset roaming your lawn and the lights have no real benefit to you, that I can think of.

I've the 430X for 5 years now on a 3000m² lawn and its running fine. Battery still performing like day 1 and it keeps up with the work.

headlights are standard on 450x 2018 model.
    they can be switched on/off from the App easily.
    I have used the lights twice for a few minutes and they add no value, apart from giving the dogs something to bark at when you switch them on.

if you can save a few quid by not having them...

Optional on the 2017 model. It's a setting, always on, always off, evening only, night only, evening or night.
    I might be adding an extra option in there as I'm going from memory. But my thinking is to leave the lights on in the evening if I'm out in the lawn and if I ever run it at night, have them off.

Back garden use only though so secure-ish as open spaces go.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

xl500 wrote: »
    anyone like to recommend a smaller robot mower for a 400m2 Lawn flat lawn very easy install

thx

anyone please no clue which one to buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some one put up links to McCulloch online a few pages back. It's a brand owned by Huskvarnya. No idea on them.
    You're main decision is, online purchase or from a dealer/installer.

From Peppa Cig post 895
    For those looking for mower I have these items.

Mcculloch ROB 600 Robotic Lawn Mower, UK and EU plug, 18 V, Up to 600 m sq https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBXR3..._kmJqCbD3WHG3N

Mcculloch ROB 1000 Robotic Lawn Mower 18 V, Up to 1000 m sq https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N0Y4I..._hpJqCbKR87XFK

I have 3 seperate Lawn areas and have two ROB 1000 and one ROB 600. Purchased start of last season.

Mcculloch is a Husqvarna company. Mower manual badged with Husqvarna. Parts look like Husqvarna. Battery branded Husqvarna.

All mowers worked faultless over season. All still out with reduced hours given continual growth up until last week or two.

Amazon don’t deliver this item to Ireland so I used An Post AddressPal. Box within weight/dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

xl500 wrote: »
    anyone please no clue which one to buy

see some options for smaller areas here
    https://www.myrobotcenter.co.uk/en_gb/lawn-and-pool-robots/lawn-mowing-robots/?countryswitch=2

if your lawn is flat and simplistic, see what suits your budget.
    only a starting point suggestion

Roen wrote: »
    2017 430x
    Medium installation kit
    Headlight kit
    Autoconnect GPS module
    Extra blades
    Boundary repair kit

When was this, the site only seems to have the current model on its own for €2757

Are the only differences between the 420 and 430X, the fact the 430X cuts a bigger area and has Automower Connect included.

Theres about €800 in the difference. Automower Connect is about €300.

For my lawn the 420 would be working at about 75% capactity and the 430X at 50% so I'm wondering if I even need to spend the extra €500????

When was this, the site only seems to have the current model on its own for €2757

About a month or so ago. I got the last one I think. The listing disappeared off the sure as soon as I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭staples7

If you are prepared to wait, GPL have told me they will have their offers/discounts available form March/April again. Hopefully you would be looking at a similar price to Roen all in.

This might help your decision.

staples7 wrote: »
    If you are prepared to wait, GPL have told me they will have their offers/discounts available form March/April again. Hopefully you would be looking at a similar price to Roen all in.

This might help your decision.

That's great I'll hold off so

sLjGLElKawWqN-JUV-_5lL8eKayZN1QR4xAMODVAgMeEfmBV5WU5qQQphm9Ut5UPvxXusPSY_GG5O8azKQ9md0mrV5qIhNirgYrpm7hqPS7gfV5SxzSOvNBtf5Xnakt5slPpPAF4A4TH67XZpaANx8ffHlQgjIzoLaj-lCbEkQNUDAi8VVuDFE1V5Bi9pzXSNsD3m1zv6ZfFojh7jk0h8-u16AC1TwPEaYz1mAE12Vc2pPAtmSm3tHgJiNCt5U5VlGpIq0Br0x1R4MOvNlZEb77neJYBZ-SmmeIWMpN0RarpVhZ07UAma0p1ftb93y-FX7LXFPslScy3Fbq1FGn6QfWNHRY3Nfybz2l6jIk4AaAwdtEvabWDNmLx9xMfgffSebxgCqFT-Ppw-AnkeWcsnKWzwoBi4PDH4-mfhZ7rZQDY51F-ER46h5lyBwwdHwCtsYCmhx3tcD0EjAlgZaWp7tUfkYQEa9VNd13dhgnTvoNSv9K06arXOh-aIeSr89FqzY9nFxJQJO9U7dwFlZoraFmNvCesQPbi7ifNXl8IQEcYqZ0Wsoo8pZIgxToWTyj_KkO9EuHGYt0484n29dQnVazF6CMAVKv3XS0SQAhWTcFrONh9rFSCXUEvOBZctePRAUpzx9WtdcCimUevG26qZbeYAmFxrTraeKaShtFE1rknn0w7uif18fIJDd_2Rx_oNrgAxzeCD9MXBK1Kcv4D49Zm=w646-h522-no

Just a quick question on the guide wires, i plan on putting the automower in the area marked X and running the guide wires through a gap in the fence either side which is about 12 foot wide, would this work?, would there be problems with the cutting of the area where the automower is located since both guide wires lead out of this area? .(p.s. i haven't drawn in the boundary wire!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WhichWay

No problem cutting the area where the charger is located. You can at this up as one of three areas. Note you can also set up an additional area half way along a guide wire.

Advertisement