Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Stander Up and Fight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

leakyboots wrote: »
    According to people on the Twitter machine (too hungover to check) we've the best defensive record in the Pro14 for points conceded and second best for tries conceded behind Leinster and Ospreys.

In the Heineken were top for both.

Chapeau Monsieur Ferreira and co.

Yup all true. Only slightly worrying thing is our try record in pool stages. Hopefully kick on attacking in qf and (hopefully) beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Yeah the attack is yet to fully convince. If we met Saracens away in a semi would they strangle the life out of us again you'd wonder.

From an attack viewpoint Farrell is arguably our most important player, he can get us forward with bad ball or against good defences

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    Eod100 wrote: »
    Yup all true. Only slightly worrying thing is our try record in pool stages. Hopefully kick on attacking in qf and (hopefully) beyond.
    I wouldnt worry that much if defence can maintain what its doing. Knockouts should/do see sides more conservative not opening up so not that worrying...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

leakyboots wrote: »
    According to people on the Twitter machine (too hungover to check) we've the best defensive record in the Pro14 for points conceded and second best for tries conceded behind Leinster and Ospreys.

In the Heineken were top for both.

Chapeau Monsieur Ferreira and co.

Yes, aside from one or two bad beatings we've done well this season so far, still need to keep the foot on the pedal to stay top of the conference. The reward is a home SF and avoiding Leinster until a possible final.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I might be mistaken but eir showed the table in it's entirety fri night and we have a PD of nearly 200, followed by Glasgow with about 100. I tried both Guinness/Munster sites but can't find the pd on mobile sites.

Our tries scored in HC was never really an issue to me. If you get an opportunity, take the three and leave running rugby to the baa baa's. But we still are ranked 3rd, with 449 tries scored in HC...so i don't know if it is as big an issue as you think.
    Toulouse 470, Dublin 456.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Defunkd wrote: »
    I might be mistaken but eir showed the table in it's entirety fri night and we have a PD of nearly 200, followed by Glasgow with about 100. I tried both Guinness/Munster sites but can't find the pd on mobile sites.

Munster +197 Glasgow +103. Closer than conference B where Leinster are +268 and Edinburgh (2nd place) are on +26!

Over 20,000 tickets sold for Edinburgh v Munster quarter-final. If CC site is accurate their biggest home pool attendance was just under 12k. Could easily double that figure by time match comes around.

https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/status/1097487863955013633

Defunkd wrote: »

Our tries scored in HC was never really an issue to me. If you get an opportunity, take the three and leave running rugby to the baa baa's. But we still are ranked 3rd, with 449 tries scored in HC...so i don't know if it is as big an issue as you think.
    Toulouse 470, Dublin 456.

Ah don't think it's a major issue, most teams would want to be scoring more tries ideally. If we can win in knock-outs without tries it's all the one to me but definitely helps our chances if we're scoring tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Over 20,000 tickets sold for Edinburgh v Munster quarter-final. If CC site is accurate their biggest home pool attendance was just under 12k. Could easily double that figure by time match comes around.

https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/status/1097487863955013633

Think they had just under 38k for their QF v Toulouse in 2012 so would hope we could top that

Caranica wrote: »
    Think they had just under 38k for their QF v Toulouse in 2012 so would hope we could top that

As long as that's the only similarity between 2012 and not the results! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    The Munster Rugby squad trained at the High Performance Centre in Limerick today ahead of Friday night’s Guinness PRO14 clash against Ospreys at the Liberty Stadium (7.35pm).

The Munster Rugby Medical Department have released the following injury update ahead of Friday night’s game.

Chris Farrell was removed with a knee injury in the first half of the weekend’s game against Southern Kings. He will be assessed further by the medical department today.

Tadhg Beirne is continuing the rehabilitation of his knee injury.

Both Farrell and Beirne will return to Ireland camp this week.

The following are progressing with rehabilitation: Brian Scott (foot), James Cronin (leg), Dave O’Callaghan (foot), Tommy O’Donnell (shoulder), CJ Stander (cheek), Sammy Arnold (leg).

Andrew Conway, John Ryan and Niall Scannell return to international camp this week having started Friday night’s clash at a sold-out Irish Independent Park.

Munster Academy players Craig Casey, SeFrench, Ben Healy, James McCarthy, Josh Wycherley and Jonathan Wren are among the Munster contingent training with the Ireland U20s ahead of their clash against Italy on Friday night.

https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/02/18/squad-update-pre-ospreys-2/

Possible team vs Ospreys:

Loughman, Marshall, Archer, Kleyn, Holland, Wycherley, Cloete, Botha;
    Mathewson, Hanrahan, Sweetnam, Scannell, Goggin, Wootton, Haley

KOB, LOC, Parker, DOS, Coombes, Cronin, Johnston, Nash

Ireland: Kilcoyne, N Scannell, Ryan, Beirne, POM, Murray, Farrell, Earls, Conway
    Injured: Cronin, Scott, DOC, TOD, Stander, Arnold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    If only all our kicks were from the tryline!

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1097445096818130944

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I'm guessing Farrell joining up with Ireland means they're optimistic on his knee injury...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Return of the JJ
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    If only all our kicks were from the tryline!

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1097445096818130944

the charge-down would be a risk

Possible team vs Ospreys:

Loughman, Marshall, Archer, Kleyn, Holland, Wycherley, Cloete, Botha;
    Mathewson, Hanrahan, Sweetnam, Scannell, Goggin, Wootton, Haley

KOB, LOC, Parker, DOS, Coombes, Cronin, Johnston, Nash

Ireland: Kilcoyne, N Scannell, Ryan, Beirne, POM, Murray, Farrell, Earls, Conway
    Injured: Cronin, Scott, DOC, TOD, Stander, Arnold

I don't see Tyler not getting into the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Quick one lads who's the kicking coach this year had a Google but couldn't find anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Somebody was saying on twitter that the Kings game was the first game recorded in their database where a team (Munster) didn't give up a single penalty or free kick.

troyzer wrote: »
    Somebody was saying on twitter that the Kings game was the first game recorded in their database where a team (Munster) didn't give up a single penalty or free kick.

Already mentioned on Match thread - CardiffRFCfans

On an unrelated matter

JvG seems to imply Munster would like to hold on to Alby

phog wrote: »

Already mentioned on Match thread - CardiffRFCfans

On an unrelated matter

JvG seems to imply Munster would like to hold on to Alby

Ah yes, that's the one.

You'd have to imagine Mathewson is making big money. I just don't understand how the IRFU could allow a joker to block developing talent. It would be madness.

Ah yes, that's the one.

You'd have to imagine Mathewson is making big money. I just don't understand how the IRFU could allow a joker to block developing talent. It would be madness.

By signing him for a year or two he'd no longer be a medical joker and be the same as any other NIQ player in Ireland.

JvG making the point of what he adds off the field in particular to developing scrumhalfs

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Ah yes, that's the one.

By signing him for a year or two he'd no longer be a medical joker and be the same as any other NIQ player in Ireland.

JvG making the point of what he adds off the field in particular to developing scrumhalfs

Munster already have such a backlog at scrumhalf though.

If I were Leo Cullen right now I'd be asking Nick McCarthy and the IRFU if it's possible to terminate that contract. It makes no sense for him going from third in Leinster to fighting for third in Munster and I doubt it's what JVG was feeding him when he was trying to get him to sign.

If I were Leo Cullen right now I'd be asking Nick McCarthy and the IRFU if it's possible to terminate that contract. It makes no sense for him going from third in Leinster to fighting for third in Munster and I doubt it's what JVG was feeding him when he was trying to get him to sign.

Murray will be with Ireland for RWC so won't feature for Munster til Champions Cup and be gone for 6N. Don't think McCarthy would have been expected to start even when Murray was away. Think I saw he only had 3 starts for Leinster in 17/18. If Matthewson stays on for extra season and mentors McCarthy so he can step up to 2nd in line then think it's a win-win.

Seemed like JGP being IE would result in him getting more game-time which could result in less for McGrath and McCarthy?

Murray will be with Ireland for RWC so won't feature for Munster til Champions Cup and be gone for 6N. Don't think McCarthy would have been expected to start even when Murray was away. Think I saw he only had 3 starts for Leinster in 17/18. If Matthewson stays on for extra season and mentors McCarthy so he can step up to 2nd in line then think it's a win-win.

Seemed like JGP being IE would result in him getting more game-time which could result in less for McGrath and McCarthy?

McGrath would be ahead of JGP. He's a more consistent performer.

It made sense for McCarthy to leave when it was clear he'd be fast tracked to the 21 jersey. His competition wasn't the strongest (which is why Munster felt the need to sign Mathewson in the first place). But I don't think he signed a contract thinking he'd be stuck behind a former All Black for a year or two.

It made sense for McCarthy to leave when it was clear he'd be fast tracked to the 21 jersey. His competition wasn't the strongest (which is why Munster felt the need to sign Mathewson in the first place). But I don't think he signed a contract thinking he'd be stuck behind a former All Black for a year or two.

Could be wrong but thought McGrath was getting more appearences to manage the JGP, Lowe, Fardy selection issue but maybe McGrath would start anyway. Either way McCarthy still behind the 2 of them.

Yeah guess it's like the Carbery situation, presumably McCarthy signed on at prospect of more game time. He's fairly young yet though, only 24 next month. Matthewson will be 34 December after RWC. You'd like to think he'd get more and more game time next season.

Matthewson update could just be his contract has been extended til end of season but did seem like possibility of longer by way JVG was implying.

Could be wrong but thought McGrath was getting more appearences to manage the JGP, Lowe, Fardy selection issue but maybe McGrath would start anyway. Either way McCarthy still behind the 2 of them.

Yeah guess it's like the Carbery situation, presumably McCarthy signed on at prospect of more game time. He's fairly young yet though, only 24 next month. Matthewson will be 34 December after RWC. You'd like to think he'd get more and more game time next season.

Matthewson update could just be his contract has been extended til end of season but did seem like possibility of longer by way JVG was implying.

Up until this season, McGrath was comfortably ahead of JGP. But JGP has had a great season to the point now where you don't really lose much by playing one or the other, they bring different strengths.

McCarthy is firmly 3rd choice and not getting enough gametime. Hugh O'Sullivan is right up his arse as well. So it made all of the sense in the world for him to go to a province with the best 9 in the world (maybe not anymore) and learn from him with the chance of significant game time.

If it is only to the end of this season or even to the end of the world cup then fair enough. But if it's until the end of next season or beyond I'd be fairly pissed off.

Up until this season, McGrath was comfortably ahead of JGP. But JGP has had a great season to the point now where you don't really lose much by playing one or the other, they bring different strengths.

McCarthy is firmly 3rd choice and not getting enough gametime. Hugh O'Sullivan is right up his arse as well. So it made all of the sense in the world for him to go to a province with the best 9 in the world (maybe not anymore) and learn from him with the chance of significant game time.

If it is only to the end of this season or even to the end of the world cup then fair enough. But if it's until the end of next season or beyond I'd be fairly pissed off.

To the end of the RWC might be a decent compromise actually. Gotta wait and see I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

If Alby was leaving surely other teams would already be offering him a contract. Grobler going to Gloucester was known early enough last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend

Not a thing wrong with having an on field general when our internationals are away. It worked out well for Leinster with Fardy and Isa, if not with Joe Tomane.

If McCarthy is good enough he'll get games..if he isn't well then..that's up to him. One thing for sure is if Murray is fit for internationals he plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

John Hayes Ligind
    Since Murray will be back for Europe, what's the point in keeping Mathewson?

I wouldn't fancy McCarthy in a big European tie but if he's not good enough for a Pro14 game (when the opposition will also be missing their big names), then why bother signing him? Plenty of rubbish scrum-halves already.

He must be lined up to be the starter in Murray's absence.

Ulster could do worse than signing Mathewson for a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Seems Mathewson is wanted back in Toulon but wouldn't be overly surprised to see him in Limerick next season if he doesn't go to France.

The whole Savea thing may help him make his mind up. But I'm sure all the Mole blog readers know better. 😂😂😂😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement