Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Well done oranmore. History makers. The thatch will be out the door tonight 🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Galway 2019 Senior A Hurling Championship Draw

Group 1
    Portumna
    Turloughmore
    Liam Mellows
    St Thomas'
    Tommy Larkins
    Castlegar

Group 2
    Kilnadeema-Leitrim
    Gort
    Loughrea
    Tynagh-Abbey-Duniry
    Cappataggle
    Sarsfields

Galway 2019 Senior B Hurling Championship Draw

Group 1
    Craughwell
    Oranmore-Maree
    Ahascragh-Fohenagh
    Padraig Pearses
    Athenry
    Beagh

Group 2
    Ballinderreen
    Killimordaly
    Abbeyknockmoy
    Ardrahan
    Mullagh
    Clarinbridge

Galway 2019 Intermediate Hurling Championship Draw

Group 1
    Turloughmore
    Moycullen
    Kilconieron
    Kilbeacanty
    Kinvara
    Sylane
    Carnmore

Group 2
    Annaghdown
    Meelick-Eyrecourt
    An Spideal
    Killimor
    Rahoon-Newcastle
    Castlegar
    Kiltormer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Jesus group 1 is sticky enough . No easy games there .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Group 1 in senior A is a group of death, group 2 is, on paper, slightly easier.

Very hard to call senior B - both groups look even enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Group 1 is hairy portumna will struggle this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Mellows will be happy to get Thomas's up first - they often struggle to get going in the early games after an All Ireland series. I wonder will Evan Duggan be launched straight into the team

Its a pity 4 teams progress though, as it takes away a lot of suspense. Such a drawn out championship

Craughwell v Oranmore is a very interesting first round derby. A team with their tails up and with such momentum, against a team on the wane who had a horrible 2018. I could see an upset in that one, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Oranmore pushing to top that group. You'd have to imagine Bridge will go 5/5 in the other side. Mullagh and K'Daly will keep them honest though!

When is the football draw does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Fergal Flannery

2. Jack Grealish

3. Ronan Burke

4. Aidan Harte

5. Kevin Hussey

6. Padraig Mannion

7. Gearoid McInerney

8. Cathal Mannion

9. Sean Loftus

10. Niall Burke

11. Joe Canning

12. Sean Bleahene

13. Brian Concannon

14. Jason Flynn

15. Davy Glennon

Didn't think McInerney or Niall Burke would be put straight into the team - thought they'd be given a week more to enjoy their all-ireland success.

If Flynn is to be used, I'd hope he's left there for the full match. He doesn't seem to be the player he was in 2015 - maybe a succession of games will help him get back to himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ian Burke is an absolute joy to watch. One of the most intelligent forwards we'll ever produce in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Gary Sice is some player at club level. Probably the best Galway club player since Michael Donnellans Dunmore days. So utterly intelligent. Himself and Burke are some pair at this level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Won't of learned a lot from that outing. A v B game would of had more intensity.

If our purpose is to discover players and since there's no promotion I'd like MoD to empty the bench more.

One sub until the last few minutes and that's the general trend regardless of the score.

Blehane needs to up his game if he wants to play senior.
    He's very fortunate to have got the time he has considering some others are getting injury time and he has the same failings at senior than he had at underage.
    Very poor decision maker and needs multiple balls to get a return.
    He's obviously the most complete player physically for that age of the bunch but his decision making and striking let him down.

Would like to see K.Cooney start the next game, he's our best hope of a new player making an impact in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If our purpose is to discover players and since there's no promotion I'd like MoD to empty the bench more.

One sub until the last few minutes and that's the general trend regardless of the score.

Blehane needs to up his game if he wants to play senior.
    He's very fortunate to have got the time he has considering some others are getting injury time and he has the same failings at senior than he had at underage.
    Very poor decision maker and needs multiple balls to get a return.
    He's obviously the most complete player physically for that age of the bunch but his decision making and striking let him down.

Would like to see K.Cooney start the next game, he's our best hope of a new player making an impact in the forwards.

Blehane is still a bit raw alright but maybe slightly harsh on him today. Think he got 0-2 and another effort hit the post. He's still very young but is probably getting a chance as physically he's able to compete with seniors already.

That said I can't see him being used much come the Summer unless there is a fair few injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Thought Whelo was exceptionally poor by his very high standards. He was standing in the wrong spot eternally.
    Jason Flynn took a fantastic point in the first but was poor in the second. Bleahene is very raw and has shown glimpses but is a bit sloppy.

Lot of good showings. Thought Grealish and Glennon were excellent in opposite halves. Cathal Mannion was pointing from all distances. Hussey looks like a good option off the bench come summer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Robson99

I'd be more worried that we have only scored 1 goal in 3 games against second rate opposition.( no offence to those teams)
    If you cannot develop and create chance against those then we will struggle again come championship.
    As with any young player Bleahen needs time to adjust

Blehane is still a bit raw alright but maybe slightly harsh on him today. Think he got 0-2 and another effort hit the post. He's still very young but is probably getting a chance as physically he's able to compete with seniors already.

That said I can't see him being used much come the Summer unless there is a fair few injuries.

Not really basing it off today only but his last two shots were: blocked and post.
    The blocked shot was never on and a bit like N.Burke he doesn't tend to look around(Burke makes his though) and the one where he hit the post he did well to shrug the two tacklers and should have played in whoever broke through ahead of him.

What he does have going for him is that he's big enough and gets on ball, the issue is that once he gets it he's too self centred.
    Some people move on from that but I think we all know from playing that lads who are like that seldom change.

But he has the immediate ingredients over say K.Cooney who has the ability but is very small right now.
    Got on two balls, good pass for the first when the shot didn't materialise and just slightly over hit the second for the last free Monaghan won but again the percentage play.

Hopefully he empties the bench for the Offaly game now and rest Canning and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The looming restructure of the league has really hurt it this year. No edge at all to today's match.

grbear wrote: »
    The looming restructure of the league has really hurt it this year. No edge at all to today's match.

Cork v Clare was even worse yesterday. League is complete shadow boxing this year more than ever. Might be a small bit more bite to it once the knockout phase starts.

Anyone know the ruling JC got booked for? Is it three times caught or three times touching the hand? JC seemed adamant the ref was wrong with pulling Mannion up.

Anyone know the ruling JC got booked for? Is it three times caught or three times touching the hand? JC seemed adamant the ref was wrong with pulling Mannion up.

Third man tackle by canning off the ball

• Advertisement

RMAOK wrote:
    Third man tackle by canning off the ball

Oh right. I was way off. Happened in front of me and thought the ref shouted you touched with your hand three times! Didn't realise JC was involved in it all other than getting booked for dissent. Makes more sense now!

grbear wrote: »

A lot of matches in the league have been like that - as someone else has said, it might quicken up come the 1/4 final stage.

I'm guessing we're through to the 1/4's now? If that's the case, then for the next match against Offaly I'd rest canning and the 2 mannions. With all due respect to them, our u20 team would nearly beat Offaly given the state they are in.

Put Whelan to 11 and leave Flynn at 14 for the next day.

Hussey and Jack grealish (the goal aside) played well today of the newcomers.

Donoghue was interviewed after the game and he said he’s not sure if Joseph Cooney will be back this year. Should know for sure in a few weeks.

Must be enjoying Australia and NZ.

Donoghue was interviewed after the game and he said he’s not sure if Joseph Cooney will be back this year. Should know for sure in a few weeks.

His girlfriend is nursing out there. Someone from Sarsfields told me before Christmas he definitely wouldn't be back. You'd still hope it's not the case. He's fielding and adaptability is a massive plus to Galway. In saying that I feel Niall Burke will have a massive year and nail down a starter spot this year. Anyone know is Johnny Glynn is doing the same this year?

His girlfriend is nursing out there. Someone from Sarsfields told me before Christmas he definitely wouldn't be back. You'd still hope it's not the case. He's fielding and adaptability is a massive plus to Galway. In saying that I feel Niall Burke will have a massive year and nail down a starter spot this year. Anyone know is Johnny Glynn is doing the same this year?

Glynn is due back towards the end of the league alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

Cathal Mannion looked excellent from the highlights of the game. Sublime striking from distance off both sides. Seems to have really bulked up too. Great option to have for midfield if needed.

Comer needs surgery on the ankle. Won't be seeing him anytime soon.

Robson99 wrote: »
    I'd be more worried that we have only scored 1 goal in 3 games against second rate opposition.( no offence to those teams)
    If you cannot develop and create chance against those then we will struggle again come championship.
    As with any young player Bleahen needs time to adjust

sure how can you get goals when your half forward line is the majority of time in our own half back line and the backs are constantly overplaying the ball, giving opposition backs time to settle. Im getting a bit worried with the lack of any gameplan. Again yesterday, canning should stay at 11, and stop drifting out, his to accurate and too much of a goal threat, I don't think he had a shot at goal against a piss poor Dublin side. No movement for our own puck outs in the half forward line so flannery had to go short allot of the time. Cathal mannion at midfield seems to be only thing we have leraned from this league campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

cosatron wrote: »
    sure how can you get goals when your half forward line is the majority of time in our own half back line and the backs are constantly overplaying the ball, giving opposition backs time to settle. Im getting a bit worried with the lack of any gameplan. Again yesterday, canning should stay at 11, and stop drifting out, his to accurate and too much of a goal threat, I don't think he had a shot at goal against a piss poor Dublin side. No movement for our own puck outs in the half forward line so flannery had to go short allot of the time. Cathal mannion at midfield seems to be only thing we have leraned from this league campaign.

Not necessarily. Padraig at no. 6 may be left there also, as Harte at no. 4. Younger players are getting (more) game time, though I wish he'd spring some of them sooner - Jarlath Mannion or Kevin Cooney were never going to prove much in 2-3 minutes. Bleaheane appears to be getting an extended run, possibly with an eye towards Joseph Cooney not being back this year, and maybe Conor Cooney's form not picking up a bit.

I fear Jayo's chances may be starting to slip away. Ok in the first half yesterday, but poor enough in part 2 against very moderate opposition. Goal apart, Grealish wasn't bad. Hussey will be good when he gets stronger. Thought Jack Coyne would be seeing more game time also.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Padraig at no. 6 may be left there also, as Harte at no. 4. Younger players are getting (more) game time, though I wish he'd spring some of them sooner - Jarlath Mannion or Kevin Cooney were never going to prove much in 2-3 minutes. Bleaheane appears to be getting an extended run, possibly with an eye towards Joseph Cooney not being back this year, and maybe Conor Cooney's form not picking up a bit.

I fear Jayo's chances may be starting to slip away. Ok in the first half yesterday, but poor enough in part 2 against very moderate opposition. Goal apart, Grealish wasn't bad. Hussey will be good when he gets stronger. Thought Jack Coyne would be seeing more game time also.
    Not necessarily :) P mannion went in no 6 for the replay against clare and acquitted himself quiet well and we know going forward that if a team had a nimble center forward like Hogan, mannion will be moved in. Harte was tried corner back against Dublin in the last group game and was a disaster against a lad with speed. We all know what ronan burke, hussey, grealish and loftus bring to the table, its lads like kevin cooney, ja mannion Fitzpatrick and shane bannon we should be looking at. Blehane seems more comfortable in the inside line than half forward line and Jayo needs to straighten himself out, his not at the races at all. its a pity cause he has great potential.

Advertisement