Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bare root perennials - plant now

• 13-02-2019 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit of a novice with gardening but I do my best.

I have ordered a few bags of bare root flowering perennials for nice raised border in the garden.

Now they'll be here in a few days and I'm in a wee bit of a panic as I've never done anything but plant out from pots up to now. (well some bulbs but they are almost idiot proof)

There are over 100 bare root specimens expected and by all accounts (what I've read online) they need to get dealt with almost immediately.

It's mid Feb and while it's milder than normal - would I get away with planting them out in the garden or is the risk of a hard frost still an issue? Is the odd frost an issue for bare roots?

I've read a few blogs with people potting them out for 6 weeks or so and leaving them in a greenhouse or whatnot. Well I don't have over 100 spare pots and while I have a clear roof shed down the side of the house I don't know whether that qualifies.. Either way I'd have to fix up a few shelves for the pots.

I believe delaying is not an option or they might dry out - so can I just get on with it and plant them all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd not worry about the weather - the Atlantic is in charge with nothing to suggest a repeat of last March. You can help protect against frost bite by laying down a mulch - which can be anything from bark mulch to cardboard to rocks and stones - the only typical recycled mulch to be weary of is carpet due to the dyes and glues used.

As a general point bare roots should not be kept in the bags for more than a couple of days, if you need to wait then you should dig some soil in part of the garden and "heel them in" as a temporary home until you are ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd not worry about the weather - the Atlantic is in charge with nothing to suggest a repeat of last March. You can help protect against frost bite by laying down a mulch - which can be anything from bark mulch to cardboard to rocks and stones - the only typical recycled mulch to be weary of is carpet due to the dyes and glues used.

As a general point bare roots should not be kept in the bags for more than a couple of days, if you need to wait then you should dig some soil in part of the garden and "heel them in" as a temporary home until you are ready.

thanks for the response Harry...

I've seen 'heel them in' mentioned a few times... what does that entail? Just burying them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You just want enough soil to cover the roots and a few inches of stem. 'Heel them in' refers to pushing them down into the soil enough to be secure.

shur I might as well just go for it so and get them in the ground. I've plenty of stuff on hand to cover them over (although it might look a bit unsightly for a while but it'll only be for a month or so tops..

and then if some die then feck it - it's all experience

Thanks Harry

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I hope these are not Baaker...

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I hope these are not Baaker...

No. Some Dutch operation trading under gardens4you.

Reviews seemed relatively positive but who knows.

Did you have a bad experience?

Lord, they look very similar - its the photoshopped, overcoloured 'photographs' that give them away! Still everyone has to try the bargain bundles once, so best of luck with them, I would strongly suggest you keep a list of what you have, make labels and preferably pot them into individual pots for a few months.

Or just bung them in and be grateful for whatever survives. I was one of the optimists that tried a bargain bundle twice, I don't think I got anything to survive for more than one season. In theory they will replace anything that does not survive, but you just get another bundle of the same and eventually its not worth the effort.

Hope I am being unreasonably negative and you get a great display! No harm in trying.

looksee wrote: »
    Lord, they look very similar - its the photoshopped, overcoloured 'photographs' that give them away! Still everyone has to try the bargain bundles once, so best of luck with them, I would strongly suggest you keep a list of what you have, make labels and preferably pot them into individual pots for a few months.

Or just bung them in and be grateful for whatever survives. I was one of the optimists that tried a bargain bundle twice, I don't think I got anything to survive for more than one season. In theory they will replace anything that does not survive, but you just get another bundle of the same and eventually its not worth the effort.

Hope I am being unreasonably negative and you get a great display! No harm in trying.

Yeah sure they weren't expensive so if it doesn't work out then so be it..

They do have good reviews general though so that's what hooked me in really

https://www.trustedshops.co.uk/buyerrating/info_X82C803D496AE9AD2D9C1C1159BC831BF.html

Or are those review sites a scam!?

Time will tell.

Be interesting to get a review from you in due course lawred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Thud

Got a few plants from them last year, arrived ok and still alive

• Advertisement
Advertisement