Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

fritzelly wrote: »
    Anyone know what the price is likely to be? I'm expecting around the 400 euro mark...

The 2008 100 Euro was around the 400 mark, but the 2016 was 730 Euro, same mintage and I'd imagine the same specs. We can only wait and see, I'll post any details I get before the release.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Blade wrote: »
    The 2008 100 Euro was around the 400 mark, but the 2016 was 730 Euro, same mintage and I'd imagine the same specs. We can only wait and see, I'll post any details I get before the release.

Which one was that, don't remember any single gold costing that much
    The proclamation 100 euro gold was 375

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Which one was that, don't remember any single gold costing that much
    The proclamation 100 euro gold was 375

The proclamation 50 Euro was 375, the 100 Euro was 730 (it's in the first post of this thread)

When does the gold go on sale does anyone know?

Phoned the CB and they're saying between 850 and 900 for the coin!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭G2016

Did they say when it will be available?

G2016 wrote: »
    Did they say when it will be available?

Sometime soonish was the best I could get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

Did not think it would be that steep. i was think €750 max

Now up on central bank website ....... €895

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Now up on central bank website ....... €895

Ouch is it only a single coin or will they do a double set ?

• Advertisement

Was never any mention of a silver coin or double set.

Gonna have to take out a second mortgage to buy it.

Has anyone else received the email newsletter?
    If it wasn't for checking the site again today I would have missed the coins are on sale Thursday

Has anyone else received the email newsletter?
    If it wasn't for checking the site again today I would have missed the coins are on sale Thursday

Didn't get it. You'd think they didn't want people to but their products at all, the way the CB carry on... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭grange mac

Just got an email from them...can you not ring in order anymore or do you now need to buy on line?

Was told online only last time.

Yep, online only

Apart from the complete lack of interest from the central bank on wanting to sell coins, what is shocking is selling a coin for €900 and only sticking up one picture. They don’t even bother to describe how you’ll receive the coins, presentation box etc. I feel they are a complete joke.

At 1/2 ounce the spot price today is €564 so not a bad margin for the central bank on these coins.

Is anyone going to pick one up, do you think there’ll be must interest or a chance of them selling out

I'm in 2 minds (would be two of us buying)
    But the price is a turnoff

Definitely leaning toward a no on this one, too much of a gouge for me

• Advertisement

I’d love to know the sense behind constantly increasing the cost and reducing the mintage limits. The reason they weren’t selling is because they kept increasing the prices, that and some of the last few designs were horrible.

Anyone decide to buy the new gold coin?

Anything me decide to buy the new gold coin?

Que?

Que?

Sorry, only noticed my typo!!

Bought 2, 1 for me and a friend, both numismatics

Bought 2, 1 for me and a friend, both numismatics

Bought also, seemed to be no issues buying online this morning

Still available almost two weeks later, looks like the high price has put a few folks off

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sgsdfsdfsd

Spocker wrote: »
    Still available almost two weeks later, looks like the high price has put a few folks off

I purchased one and a friend has told me that this was priced too high (that the gold is only worth half of the price of the coin). I am wondering was I stupid now to purchase as I'm not a coin collector and just thought it might be a good investment.

I know that I can return the coin when I get it within 14 days of receipt for a refund as it was bought on the web page, but just curious for views thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

sgsdfsdfsd wrote: »
    I purchased one and a friend has told me that this was priced too high (that the gold is only worth half of the price of the coin). I am wondering was I stupid now to purchase as I'm not a coin collector and just thought it might be a good investment.

I know that I can return the coin when I get it within 14 days of receipt for a refund as it was bought on the web page, but just curious for views thanks.

Personally I think it's a bad investment from a financial point. But collectors of Irish coins will still want it for their collection. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing them on ebay for less than the original price, it's happened with a lot of their other overpriced coins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 sgsdfsdfsd

thank you Blade, I think I will return it for refund.

Advertisement