Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The End for Youghal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

That sounds pretty expensive - Mullingar to Athlone was supposed to have cost around 8 million for 42km. And it's finished to a pretty high standard - proper tarmac at about the width of a minor road.

I love greenways and trails - I've walked the entire Royal Canal before this craze even started and I've done other routes such as the Miner's Way in Leitrim. As a low-cost tourist attraction, greenways are a great attraction. The older routes like the Miner's Way were done for minimal costs - measured in thousands per kilometre but it gets hard to justify the investment when the costs are approaching a million a kilometre.

I personally think a lot of these greenways are being overbuilt. Athlone - Mullingar definitely is. The majority of people on them are either runners or families cycling and these people would prefer a rolled grit surface over finished tarma. For runners, it's easier on the body and for families, it slows down the club cyclists and improves safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Isambard wrote: »
    yes I agree, but if they can run a LUAS through the centre of DUblin surely it must be relativley simple to devise shared use of the trackbed. One mode doesn't exclude the other as shown on other Greenways shared with railways. You shouldn't even need a dividing fence by rights. Hell, in places they have massive freight trains passing along the main streets of towns (USA for instance)
    True, but if I was walking for leisure with small kids, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if there was a fence... Just to stop them doing something stupid...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

It would put your mind at rest no doubt, but if that was the case the LUAS should be fenced in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Don't think there have been any issues in Waterford when the Heritage Train is running during the summer, it's not fenced off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Markcheese wrote: »
    Well they're already looking at turning the old Blackrock line in Cork (a path for decades) into a joint tram way and greenway...
    It does add complication though...

They have been 'looking at' developing Cork public transport since the 1970s, that's a hell of a lot of 'looking at' with minimal results.

• Advertisement

L92.jpg

where's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

L92.jpg

where's the problem?

A 25 mph speed limit.

that's because it's a Light Railway not because of the footpath. I don't imagine the Youghal line or any other IE line would be a Light Railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Jem72 wrote:
    I personally think a lot of these greenways are being overbuilt. Athlone - Mullingar definitely is. The majority of people on them are either runners or families cycling and these people would prefer a rolled grit surface over finished tarma. For runners, it's easier on the body and for families, it slows down the club cyclists and improves safety.

Agree fully will this one. Most children learn to cycle on small mountain bikes and quite a range of buggies are built for these paths. While ideal for normal wheelchairs, they do look more natural in the environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

L92.jpg

where's the problem?

I was around when the Youghal train last ran, i just don't remember it, and since the track was lifted i only have photos as a reference on how wide it actually was.

Was it double or single gauge?

As per your photo, that would be a satisfactory outcome for all involved i think bar a few who are getting heard more as Irish Rail wants it that way.

The way it is proposed to build the Greenway is so that it can be quickly reverted to use for rail, now i don't smoke, but whoever is saying this is on the funny stuff, can you imagine the attempts to restore the railway if this goes ahead and is in use for say 10 years? C'mon, people who say it can be reverted to railway are on drugs not just for saying this, but also the costs involved which are lunacy. Also the Youghal Station building has a fine crack on the rear of it.

• Advertisement

as far as I can see, the trackbed is likely to be leased and the alternative to having a shared route ,if ever it is required, would be Railway, and no Greeenway.

The picture shows what is possible as an even-handed solution

as far as I can see, the trackbed is likely to be leased and the alternative to having a shared route ,if ever it is required, would be Railway, and no Greeenway.

The picture shows what is possible as an even-handed solution

Is picture common practice in the UK?

If the greenway breaks ground then that is it.

Is there any shared route further up the country? i know little else of railway up the country

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Borders Railway took back paths that had been built on its trackbed. It's a plain lie to state that Greenways can't be converted back and it's usually based on the "but but but Comber" arguement - where the project was cancelled entirely for cost reasons instead

L1011 wrote: »
    Borders Railway took back paths that had been built on its trackbed. It's a plain lie to state that Greenways can't be converted back and it's usually based on the "but but but Comber" arguement - where the project was cancelled entirely for cost reasons instead

Big difference between “can’t” and “won’t”. Also, the Comber situation can be googled very easily.

yes I agree, but if they can run a LUAS through the centre of DUblin surely it must be relativley simple to devise shared use of the trackbed. One mode doesn't exclude the other as shown on other Greenways shared with railways. You shouldn't even need a dividing fence by rights. Hell, in places they have massive freight trains passing along the main streets of towns (USA for instance)

What is the rail speed limit on Wexford Quays?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Big difference between “can’t” and “won’t”. Also, the Comber situation can be googled very easily.

And it appears that most people who Google it get the completely wrong impression. And use it as a justification to lie

L1011 wrote: »
    And it appears that most people who Google it get the completely wrong impression. And use it as a justification to lie

So, cycling campaigners didn’t make submissions to politicians saying that putting PT on the Comber Greenway was removing a facility?

They made submissions. It isn't why it didn't go ahead. And yet as the only vaguely related example it gets referenced over and over again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I despair with all these bloody Greenways- a perfect cop out for the state to tar over abandoned routes. It won’t stop there, next the Waterford Wexford line will be ripped up for another of these follies. It’s the latest stupid craze in Ireland. Youghal should be reopened to take traffic off the N25- as a railway line.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Youghal should be reopened to take traffic off the N25- as a railway line.

People appear to overlook this fact as they would rather spend endless time welded to their cars stuck in traffic.

A train from Youghal to Kent station would take far less time than a car doing the same journey at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

road_high wrote:
    I despair with all these bloody Greenways- a perfect cop out for the state to tar over abandoned routes. It won’t stop there, next the Waterford Wexford line will be ripped up for another of these follies. It’s the latest stupid craze in Ireland. Youghal should be reopened to take traffic off the N25- as a railway line.

I understand the frustrations with ripping up old railway routes but having a go at the fundamental ideas behind Greenways is not the way to go imo. Up to recently, we had hopeless infrastructure in so far as safe separated / off-road cycling and walking routes suitable for the masses. Yes, people are welded to their cars, but the clannish land ownership rules contribute as well. I'd love if they simply bought a strip of land parallel to the railway line / corridor and worked with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

People appear to overlook this fact as they would rather spent endless time welded to their cars stuck in traffic.

A train from Youghal to Kent station would take far less time than a car doing the same journey at peak times.

You could have a park and ride facility in Youghal or near the N25 that could serve west Waterford and east cork commuters into cork city. Irish rail just aren’t interested as Barry Kenny said on the matter. I think it’s another lost opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You could have a park and ride facility in Youghal or near the N25 that could serve west Waterford and east cork commuters into cork city. Irish rail just aren’t interested as Barry Kenny said on the matter. I think it’s another lost opportunity

But it doesn't actually work like that though: once people get into their cars the incentive to use public transport for a section of their journey drops away completely. Just look at Glounthaune, Little Island, Carrigtwohill and Midleton train stations where the car parks are never filled.

I would love for Youghal to have a rail connection to Cork, but if there wasn't a pre-existing trackbed nobody in their right mind would be proposing one as the business case is quite weak.

Barry Kenny and Irish Rail have far better investment options within the Cork area, Youghal is nowhere near the top of their list.

And to state once again for the people who are saying that rail and greenway can't coexist side by side, I think you urgently need to explain this to Cork CoCo and the NTA whose plans include a greenway and railway side by side from Glounthaune to Midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

And to state once again for the people who are saying that rail and greenway can't coexist side by side, I think you urgently need to explain this to Cork CoCo and the NTA whose plans include a greenway and railway side by side from Glounthaune to Midleton.

there are also plans for a greenway alongside the railway between Wicklow and Greystones.

https://eastcoastgreenway.ie/ (though I assume/hope the finished plan will be less landscaped than their terrible artists impression).

A P&R would be feasible there no doubt.

Operating from say somewhere around the Grange/Kiely's cross area to the car park adjacent to the beach.

Barry Kenny would have his hands tied though if the NTA came along and said right this is happening, if they did then Irish Rail would be forced to do so.

What have they shown the NTA to say they are staying quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

But it doesn't actually work like that though: once people get into their cars the incentive to use public transport for a section of their journey drops away completely. Just look at Glounthaune, Little Island, Carrigtwohill and Midleton train stations where the car parks are never filled.

I would love for Youghal to have a rail connection to Cork, but if there wasn't a pre-existing trackbed nobody in their right mind would be proposing one as the business case is quite weak.

Barry Kenny and Irish Rail have far better investment options within the Cork area, Youghal is nowhere near the top of their list.

I use the train from little island and glounthane and the car parks are pretty full if not overflowing now most working days. The little island car park was designed by an idiot though and is not fit for purpose with inadequate clearances and turning circles.

There are lots of east cork commuters using this service and it is actually getting busier with each passing month.

If the council's had any sense they would expand one of the carparks and heavily promote it as an eastern park and ride

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I use the train from little island and glounthane and the car parks are pretty full if not overflowing now most working days. The little island car park was designed by an idiot though and is not fit for purpose with inadequate clearances and turning circles.

There are lots of east cork commuters using this service and it is actually getting busier with each passing month.

If the council's had any sense they would expand one of the carparks and heavily promote it as an eastern park and ride

They're pretty full most days, but they're not yet at capacity was my point,
    there's still ample parking on the road (Glounthaune) and in the car park (Little Island) as it stands. It's a fantastic service and I do hope they extend it. But you're talking about around 50 and 100 daily cars respectively right now.

My point was simply that a park and ride at Youghal won't be a definitive east Cork traffic cure/resolution as it stands, instead an all-encompassing transport strategy is what's needed. Such strategies nowadays all focus first on pedestrians, second on cyclists, third on public transport and finally on private motor vehicles.

But I agree with you fully, if the county council was anything other than totally car-oriented they'd be all over this. They don't care though. I can tell you from my meetings with them over the years that they have very little idea of pedestrian, cyclist or public transport requirements. They're only interested in providing for cars and trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think it's a bit of a sham, that there's no park and ride / transfer station at dunkettle, its probably the biggest transport hub /junction in Cork, and you can't get a bus or train there, anyway it won't happen, because it'd get in the way of the new junction that being built...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    I think it's a bit of a sham, that there's no park and ride / transfer station at dunkettle, its probably the biggest transport hub /junction in Cork, and you can't get a bus or train there, anyway it won't happen, because it'd get in the way of the new junction that being built...

Posted this over on the relevant thread

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Dunkettle-Interchange-upgrade-hit-140280a0-cf66-4474-9f33-e316beee1591-ds

Advertisement