Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-08-2018, 21:50   #46
dotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollyFlower View Post
I can't see why anyone would become a independent LL, from what I've seen, read and heard it's a gamble for the sole landlord., the independent LL will can pay over 50% tax on the rental income, yet Reit and their ilk are paying only 12% tax on their income... So unfair.
So they pay 12% more tax on the rental income than a private landlord? And as Lux inferred to, there are plenty of Private Landlords who don't pay what they should be. What exactly are you complaining about?
Advertisement
16-08-2018, 12:18   #47
Corb_lund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux23 View Post
How many actually really pay 50%? My landlord certainly doesn't.
I looked at renting my house before. I'm on higher tax band at around 60k so not like I'm making 150k a year and my estimated tax bill was far in excess of 50% it was farcically high.
16-08-2018, 14:23   #48
ondafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux23 View Post
How many actually really pay 50%? My landlord certainly doesn't.
If more crazy - if the Landlord doesn't live in Ireland ; the tennant is supposed to pay.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...enue-1.3149410
16-08-2018, 17:22   #49
The_Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondafly View Post
If more crazy - if the Landlord doesn't live in Ireland ; the tennant is supposed to pay.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...enue-1.3149410
Its always been this way- and its not unique to the residential sector- anyone who buys a good or service from another person or company not located in Ireland- once it goes over a certain threshold- is supposed to deduct witholding tax and forward it to the Revenue Commissioners.

The 20% that a tenant is supposed to deduct from their rent for the Revenue Commissioners- is a deduction from their gross rent- and not in addition to it.

Renting a property in the private sector- is a business transaction- and really should be treated as such by everyone- half the problems in the sector are because landlords and tenants are not being professional towards one another.
(3) thanks from:
17-08-2018, 03:16   #50
utmbuilder

there's no way of dodging the tax, revenue go to electric gas company's everything now when your caught so you end up with a bill for tens of thousands , a lean on your house cos you don't have 30grand in cash, credit ****ed

rent a room is 12500 tax free build an extension with a door

or invest in an reit, the amount of marketing telling tennents their rights they are ****en geniuses at screwing a land Lord

I heard of one case tennant went to collector general landlord got done for 10 years tax as gas company gave 2 previous tennents

landlord can't sell now, a bill for 78k along with the outstanding mortgage
Advertisement
17-08-2018, 07:32   #51
Caranica

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmbuilder View Post

rent a room is 12500 tax free build an extension with a door
€14,000 for several years now
Thanks from:
17-08-2018, 07:40   #52
The_Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caranica View Post
€14,000 for several years now
2017 budget actually (aka Oct 2016)

Also point to note- its a gross 14,000- inclusive of absolutely everything- bill shares, internet, tv, heating, parking charges etc etc etc- you do not get to add anything onto the 14k.

Also- you don't have to be the owner of the property to avail of the rent-a-room scheme- a qualified tenant, with the permission of their landlord, can licence a room to a third party under the rent-a-room scheme (which seems like a nice way to subsidise your rent- if the landlord agrees, and you have a spare bedroom..........
17-08-2018, 09:50   #53
YakerK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conductor View Post

Also point to note- its a gross 14,000- inclusive of absolutely everything- bill shares, internet, tv, heating, parking charges etc etc etc- you do not get to add anything onto the 14k.
That’s not the case, even splitting of bills for services provided by 3rd party are excluded.

If the landlord provides a service e.g. cleaning or meals, then that would be included in the €14k.
17-08-2018, 09:52   #54
The_Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakerK View Post
That’s not the case, even splitting of bills for services provided by 3rd party are excluded.

If the landlord provides a service e.g. cleaning or meals, then that would be included in the €14k.
Thats what I said?

Quote:
Advertisement
17-08-2018, 09:58   #55
YakerK

I'd read your post as saying that landlord had to include bill shares in the €14k allowance ("inclusive of absolutely everything"), i.e. if they rented two rooms at €6k each, but then passed on bills they'd be above €14k, which would make the whole amount taxable.

For clarity, bill sharing is not counted as part of your €14k, nor is the receipt of the licencee's portion of the bills considered taxable income. If that's what you meant, apologises for misrepresenting!
Thanks from:
17-08-2018, 10:13   #56
Purple Sheep

Quote:
I'd read your post as saying that landlord had to include bill shares in the €14k allowance ("inclusive of absolutely everything"), i.e. if they rented two rooms at €6k each, but then passed on bills they'd be above €14k, which would make the whole amount taxable.

For clarity, bill sharing is not counted as part of your €14k, nor is the receipt of the licencee's portion of the bills considered taxable income. If that's what you meant, apologises for misrepresenting!
My understanding also was that the bills are included in that €14 000 limit, looking at citizens information:

Quote:
Currently, the total (gross) rent that you get, which includes sums that the tenant pays for food, utilities, laundry or similar goods and services, cannot exceed €14,000 in the tax year
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...om_scheme.html

I guess you wouldn't get taxed on the bills in that case though, just on the rent you get even if it turns out to be under €14000 on its own.
17-08-2018, 10:15   #57
YakerK

I'd noticed that there was conflicting information out there - Revenue's own guidance has no mention of bills, but to be sure I'd contacted Revenue to clarify this and they had confirmed to me that bill sharing was not counted when working out if your income was above/below €14k
(2) thanks from:
17-08-2018, 10:45   #58
Glass fused light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del2005 View Post
Then the tenants will accuse the OP of not allowing them quiet enjoyment of their home. Better send it registered and if not accepted then do a hand delivery.
Once it's signed and ready get the solicitor to organise a courier to deliver it to the address and you have a record of delivery from an independant party. The courier is the equivelant of the positie let them argue that.
17-08-2018, 11:32   #59
The Student

Quote:
I'd noticed that there was conflicting information out there - Revenue's own guidance has no mention of bills, but to be sure I'd contacted Revenue to clarify this and they had confirmed to me that bill sharing was not counted when working out if your income was above/below €14k
Correct as you are not receiving the money for the bills the utility company are so it is not your income. There could be an argument that you are liable for the benefit of the standing charge (eg you are only paying half and your licensee is paying the other half) but I am just being pedantic.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion