Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Online Courses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HigsBoson

There's 150 free Open University places available under the springboard initative. I just got a free place on "TU100 My Digital Life". You have to have been unemployed for 6 months before the course start date. There available on bluebrick.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kaluza

HigsBoson wrote: »
    There's 150 free Open University places available under the springboard initative. I just got a free place on "TU100 My Digital Life". You have to have been unemployed for 6 months before the course start date. There available on bluebrick.ie.

Great find!

I too got a place. Will be doing Discovering Mathematics (MU123)

Big thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BooBear123

This is a brilliant thread! I have started learning Spanish now thanks to one of the links suggested by a fellow boardsie! Thank you!

Just wondering does anyone have a link to a free sociology course? I have also started the Open Yale Introduction to Pyschology course, a fantastic lecturer!

Again, great thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭AndywK

Great thread, thanks for this.
    The Russian course really took my eye.
    Any more suggestions, keep em coming.
    I jus became unemployed and don't have the money for college nor do I qualify for a grant(wonderful eh) so these are really making a difference.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭mel123

Hi all, I'm looking for a good free site to learn Spanish, any recommendations???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

coursesra.org

Really impressed with the range of topics available. Some work colleagues have completed courses and were all very keen on the structure and materials.

I have just signed up for one myself which is starting soon so will try to update when i get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 djreferee

Thanks for www.alison.com. Looks very good, will try a course out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

SeaFields wrote: »
    I have just signed up for one myself which is starting soon so will try to update when i get going.

Have been at this course for 3 weeks now or thereabouts. I signed up for "An introduction to mathematical thinking". So far everything about the course is very good. I get regular emails about new course work or assignments having been put up on the website. My course portal on the main website is very good with all the resources I need to complete the course and the video lectures are of a very clear quality.

While i have not done a free distant learning course before, so have nothing to gauge it against, the quality of this site seems very good and I would urge others to certainly have a look into the topics they offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Cory Clumsy Oboist

for language study people should try livemocha.com
    its free with other native speakers who are also learning s language correcting your submissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

www.edx.org/courses has a few courses from MIT, Berkley and Harvard:

3.091x: Introduction to Solid State Chemistry
    CS50x: Introduction to Computer Science I
    CS169.1x: Software as a Service
    6.002x: Circuits and Electronics
    PH207x: Health in Numbers: Quantitative Methods in Clinical & Public Health
    CS188.1x: Artificial Intelligence
    6.00x: Introduction to Computer Science and Programming

A free (for now) certificate of completion from the relevant university will be issued for passing a course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Coursera.org has a bunch of free courses from good universities in lots of different areas.

https://www.coursera.org/courses

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

I'll throw my hat in here, too, and say coursera.org.

I am enrolled in 2 of their courses at the moment and I must say that they are excellent. You can sign up as far in advance as you like and you can opt out at any point. Courses last between 4 and 12 weeks and if you successfully complete it you get a certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

I recently came across this site - looks really good:
    https://www.coursera.org/

You can check out a clip on TED giving information re same:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6FvJ6jMGHU

The only minus is that the credits are not recognised in Ireland. But it strikes me as an excellent way to sample lots of interesting subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Are there any free online courses where the credits are recognised??

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

Doing courses with both Alison (2 courses) and Udacity (1 course) and I find both of them excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Possibly a rather weird request, but am looking for some form of free online programme/software to practise dictaphone typing. I've downloaded a few from searches, but they're only Trials, and they don't work properly for some reason, and ya need 3or4 other bitsnbobs for them to work right etc etc. .....

I know traditionally with dicta-typing you have yer machine/recorder and pedal and stuff, but I know some places like hospitals transfer the voice recordings needing to be typed over the net, play them back and type them out and that's how it rolls lol. So am looking for something along that line to just get in some practice anyway. I guess I could do something quick-fix and record something myself to work with, but obviously would prefer something business-like and official with various voice accents and varying voice speeds. So if any-one can point me in the direction of something free, not-needing any extra bits that's easily accessible and works straight off I would much appreciate it. Cheers! :)

Mavis Beacon teaches typing is a handy touch typing programme you can work through - I used to have it on an old pc - link below

http://download.cnet.com/Mavis-Beacon-Teaches-Typing-17-Deluxe/3000-2051_4-10441764.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

Can anyone tell me if there is a beginners course in website building, I see plenty of templates and free
    stuff, did anyone ever use these please ???

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Here's a few links to some good university-level online courses.
    I'm currently doing one with Coursera and it's very good.

https://www.edx.org/courses
    https://www.coursera.org/
    http://www.udacity.com/
    http://www.saylor.org/
    http://www.class-central.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Some awesome resources here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 danharris

hey everybody Newbie Here :p Free online courses are the best way to earn online diploma. and its is very beneficial, because you can earn it on your own pace at your own place. i was also the part of Online institution and now i am graduated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

List of a few more, apologies if already posted.

http://www.mindopenerz.com/college-education-can-now-found-internet-free/

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭1moo345

Would it be silly to mention these in passing in an interview/on cv? I know they hold no qualification but surely it's an asset that you are educating yourself on things? Or just avoid altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

1moo345 wrote: »
    Would it be silly to mention these in passing in an interview/on cv? I know they hold no qualification but surely it's an asset that you are educating yourself on things? Or just avoid altogether?

Mention it as one of your interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

You could add a "courses" section to your CV and list them there.
    Linkedin has a section called this now.

I would defo mention them.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭crunchie1

OMG this is just what I am looking for..I was made redundant,I have 2 kids and to be honest it's not easy to stay at home when you're used of working. Anyway I want to do a course that I can maybe get some part time work out of. I'm big into fitness and have actually seen a deal on a Personal Trainer course on living social this morning, does anyone know how legit these are?? I come from an office background so this might be the change I need, but I don't want to waste my money if it's not recognised..
    Also before this I was considering doing a train the trainer course as that's another avenue I'd like to explore! Does anyone have recommendations for this??

Thanks (my head is a muddle)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jonhsmart2

There will be a wide selection of outcomes directed at you if you do attempt to sort through the Planet Wide Website for-free online programs. There be seemingly free online programs in most subject-area.

You will find online courses with this region if you should be thinking about vocabulary programs. It is possible to discover languages like Aramaic, Bulgarian, Cherokee, Danish, Estonian, German, Gaelic, Traditional, Icelandic, Western, Khmer, Lithuanian, Maltese, Norwegian, Local, Euro, Sanskrit, Tagalog, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, and Welsh provided free of charge.

There are also additional free online programs accessible like dental helping, breastfeeding, healthcare, education, I t economics marketing, electrical electronics science and astronomy to mention several.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brianf78

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and was checking some online courses with Alison. I saw the free courses but was wondering the price of your certificates on the other courses. If anyone knows could you let me know roughly.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I was wondering, has anyone found a free (or cheap) method of getting the ECDL, or similar levels of training in some of the Microsoft applications ?

Many thanks.

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Hi all, with the coursera courses, can you study them at your own pace? I've just seen one I think my mother would enjoy but she wouldn't be able to commit to set times to be online or anything. Or are the courses all different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Google / Digital Garage do a very good course on Digital Marketing

Its very good if you are managing your small businesses online prescence
    and get up to speed with the interent and using google products

Alison have some good courses, free to do but validation and the cert costs

HubSpot have some courses which are free to do, but quite a lot of content in them

LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda) allow you to sign up for free trial and so some courses

a number of other places offer their tester course or a month free to get you started

Advertisement