Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Editing a Wikipedia page

Options
  • 17-02-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

Last week I corrected an entry in a Wikipedia page. The first time I had ever done so.

It had to do with a location in London which simply doesn’t exist. I changed the entry to the correct location.

I returned to the page a few days later to discover that it had reverted to the Incorrect entry.

When I the most recently edited by entry, I saw that it had been edited by a bot.

Does this mean that someone can simply setup up a computer to make changes to a Wikipedia page automatically?

Smacks of lack of accountability, if so.

No big deal, just annoying. Anyone else looking for the location will have the same difficulty I had.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Did you add a reference for your change? Or a reason? It usually reverts automatically if the system doesn't deem the edit to have merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Wheety wrote: »
    Did you add a reference for your change? Or a reason? It usually reverts automatically if the system doesn't deem the edit to have merit.

I simply changed the relevant text in the article.

I didn’t give a reason.

It was the first time I’d ever done this. I’ll try again.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mirhamxa

I had edited multiple pages. If you provide a reference/citation and add verified information they don't revert the changes. But if someone wants self promotion or add references which are not authentic then they do revert the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

mirhamxa wrote: »
    I had edited multiple pages. If you provide a reference/citation and add verified information they don't revert the changes. But if someone wants self promotion or add references which are not authentic then they do revert the changes.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

So far, so good.

It hasn’t been changed after my second edit.

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement